“Treated like a guest but feel like your at home!!! Awesome :-D” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bignell Street Motel

Bignell Street Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wanganui
Bignell Street Motel
You added Bignell Street Motel to your Saves list
86 Bignell Street, Wanganui 4501, New Zealand   |
Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in Wanganui
Wellington, New Zealand
“Treated like a guest but feel like your at home!!! Awesome :-D”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Not knowing what to expect - after a painful experience at a motel in Hastings. We only expected to stay one night at Bignell Street Motel - but after opening the door to our room - we saw how much room there was & clean the place was. We wanted somewhere with space & relaxation - we totally got it. Peter & Nigel were far beyond helpful with letting us know what we can do around Wanganui in our spare time. Very friendly - if only all people were like that cause then the world will be a better place. The TV was a bonus - being able to plug in our USB & watch movies - making our visit more then relaxing. The kitchen was awesome! We were able to cook home made dinner with the equipment they provided (which saved money) The shower & bathroom were clean & tidy with good water pressure. Yes ... it was cheap but it was worth every dollar :-D We wouldn't look no further when we go back to Wanganui for accommodation - cause this is as good as it gets if you looking for a nice little getaway. Lovely staff who go the extra mile, clean & tidy, quiet & relaxing - part of the reason we stayed an extra night cause the place was really nice. Just everything that would make you return. Loved our visit - we know it's not a 5 star hotel but we were more then pleased with our stay at this motel. Thank you for making our first visit to Wanganui a pleasant one.

• Stayed February 2014
Nigel M, Manager at Bignell Street Motel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you so much. This is exactly the experience that we want our guests to have. :-)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dannevirke, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I rang to book a tent site but was offered his own caravan which I paid cash for. No receipt was offered. The caravan smelt musty. The bed didn't look as if the sheets were clean. Fortunately we took our own bedding. I washed all of the dishes because they had dead insects in them. There was only one large plate and one coupe' plate so we went to town and bought our own. The tea towel and dish cloth looked new. We were so disgusted with the condition of the showers we didn't use then and left early rather than stay the second night which we had paid for. We won't be back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Nigel M, General Manager at Bignell Street Motel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

You paid for a tent site but I lent you my personal caravan to stay in at no extra cost as the weather forecast was not good.

No one had stayed in the caravan for a few weeks so it had been closed up for awhile. An hour with the windows open would have aired it out.

If my personal caravan was not up to your standard, you could have stayed in your tent and used your own plates.

I am sorry you did not enjoy yourself in Wanganui. A town with so many things to do.

I have posted a copy of your receipt to your home address.
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I also was a little concerned by the reviews below, having booked before seeing them, but as the last reviewer has said found our units were clean recently painted, tidy and perfectly adequate. It is a cheap place to stay, its not flash but it has the basics covered fine. Comfortable bed, plenty of hot water through the shower etc. Suited our large family well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Nigel M, General Manager at Bignell Street Motel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Simon R, thanks for coming to stay with us. I am pleased that you found the room good value for money and that there was plenty of room for your large family.
We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I am aware of other reviews that are not terribly complimentary about this motel BUT we took a group of school kids here and we were totally surprised with the place. The owners have put in a lot of work to upgrade this motel. We had 6 rooms that had all been recently renovated, superb clean and tidy. The bathrooms were brilliant and the kitchen facilities were more than suitable. I even managed to cook up meals for 16 people in the room with the help of an electric frying pan. The owners checked in on us every day to make sure that all was OK and that we had everything we needed. If anything was wrong, it was rectified ASAP. Just a minor hiccup with my not being able to access the internet, but they had that fixed for me in minutes. I must say that all you have to do is air a concern and they were there to try and help.
Honestly I think that the changes made and the renovations done, have put this place well back on track and I would definitely stay here again.
Must also say that the new pics on their website are very indicative of the standard of the rooms. Everything you need at a great price.
AND NO I AM NOT A "buddy" just a genuine visitor who was impressed with the obvious efforts gone in to upgrading, good on them!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
JDNZ, I am glad that you and your team had a pleasent stay with us and that you found the facilities that we have available to be above your expectation.
We hope you come and stay with us again soon.
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I booked through Jasons and so paid upfront. If it wasn't for that I'd have left. No lightbulb in loo, bathroom light not working. VERY shabby and nasty looking. I expected cheap and cheerful as it was a budget place but this was beyond the pail. The day I left I noticed a bloodstain on the sheet!!! And as for the shower I couldn't bring myself to use it! It looks like it had been painted inside several times and the walls were flaking and moldy. I was a woman alone and had no intention of complaining.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Nigel M, General Manager at Bignell Street Motel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Victoria, we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in Wanganui, the city that prides itself on friendship, happiness & great sightseeing. The manager serviced your unit and conversed with you on more than one occasion during your stay. If you had let the manager know that the toilet light was not working, he would have replaced the bulb straight away. If you had let the manager know that you were not happy with the condition of your unit, he could have moved you into one of our recently refurbished units with the big flat screen TVs. We cannot resolve any issues if you do not let us know what they are.
I hope you stay again soon and enjoy the hospitality that Wanganui is renown for.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We travelled around NZ on a budget and ended up here. Wish we hadn't. We wanted to cancel as soon as we arrived, once we were toldy by locals what it really was. However we were also advised that if we cancelled the owner is known to take your money anyway. So we were stuck there for the night.
Stains on the bed etc. kitchen and bathroom seemed surprisingly clean!!! Luckily we had our own bedding so used that and left as soon as the sun rose!
Creepyw owner! What are the peep holes in the walls behind reception all about? Cars coming in and out all night!
Offered the 7ft long fun bed!!! Could probably pay for it by the hour!! Need I say anymore!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

I was tempted to rename the review a single word "Dive". Do not be fooled by any pictures on websites. Threadbare carpets, holes in sheets, "spacious bathroom" is in fact a shower recess with a toilet tacked on. Constructed out of tilt up concrete panels with a slap of paint, there are no smoke detectors, outside security lighting, power sockets to shave with. While manager Peter One is a nice enough chap, his suggestion of dining at the public hospital cafeteria for $5 a plate sums up the joint. Awful. Trust me, spend an extra ten bucks and stay anywhere else.

This has been updated after reading the garbage response from the owner. This guy is clearly a pathalogical liar. we have heard through private emails that other NZ reviewers have received threats. Thank god we are in Australia. Look, this is simple, this place is as dodgy as all hell, it is a disgrace and drags down the reputation of NZ motels generally. That the authorities have not dealt with the joint by shutting it down is as much a reflection on the authorities as it is on this Dive. We have lodged a complaint with the booking agency Jason's it was that bad. Happy to take private mails on this but I am that incensed by the responses of the owners that I am escalating this as high as I can go.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nigel M, General Manager at Bignell Street Motel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay at Bignell Street Motel unlike the thousands of other customers we accommodate each year.

Just to responds to your comments above: The pictures on our website are of the actual rooms available. We do not have thread bare new carpets or holes in our new sheets. If we did, we would not get the large number of repeat customers we do.

Not all of our customers want to spend large amounts of money on dining out every night. The local hospital provides freshly made, nutritious meals at a subsidized rate. These meals are provided to the Medical Staff including Doctors and therefore need to be of the highest quality. We like to give our customers a choice of where to dine. We do not force our customers to dine there, but they are pleased to be advised of the local options.

Regarding being a pathological liar, you are entitled to your opinion. Why would we threaten our customers? How would we enforce our threats? The result would be the customer would be upset and not return to stay with us again, but we have thousands of repeat customers.

The internet is an open forum and you have the right to voice your opinion, but I also have the right to respond.

By the way, I am please you have safely returned to Oz.

Been to Bignell Street Motel? Share your experiences!