“A Surprising Find” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 35 Restaurants in Thames
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The finest place in Thames.Attentive professional service and fresh delicious cuisine.
New Zealand
“A Surprising Find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

While driving up The Coromandel we were looking for somewhere to eat and Bullion seemed to be the only place open. The appearance is confusing because it seems to have one foot in the posh camp and one foot in casual dining.

The menu and the food cleared things up quickly though, the food was amazing!!! So delicious! We loved the menu because there was a lovely variety of thoughtful and interesting options and it didn't rely on the usual staples of burgers and wedges that you might see in a bar/restaurant.

The service was great too, efficient, friendly and relaxed.

We're wondering if we might detour back to Thames on our return journey, just to eat there again...

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We had a fab meal - meat, fish, vegetarian, French wine, we tried it all. Very flexible kitchen that adjusted some of the dishes to our dietary requirements. Service impeccable. What a brilliant place.

Visited March 2014
Warsaw, Poland
“Good food. Slightly overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We visited this restaurant in the evening. We order lamb and beef. Food was good but not exceptional. Service was slightly better than average in New Zeland. We found Bulion slightly overpriced but I must say we had visited several restaurant only in Auckland and in Rotorua.

Visited March 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“VERY DISAPPOINTING”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I booked dinner for 14 March for 2 people after researching the menus of the local restaurants and as we only eat a main, this restaurant showed some very nice main dishes.
When we were seated, at 7.30pm there was a piece of A4 paper on the table showing a Set Menu with options of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 deserts. I asked the waitress for the other menu options and was told that they were not available, they were having a special Set Menu, because it was Valentines Night. I WAS NOT TOLD OF THIS WHEN I BOOKED! If I had been told of this we would have booked elsewhere. We contemplated leaving but it was our first night in Thames and we had no idea if any of the other eating places were fully booked, so I told the waitress that we were not big eaters and only wanted a main. The reply was that we could have either entree and main or main and desert and that would cost $45 each. My husband had scallops entree, which he said was lovely, and the steak, which he also said was lovely - BUT GUESS WHAT, TOO MUCH, HE COULDN'T EAT IT ALL. I had the fish which was Tarakihi - DREADFUL. The fish was not fresh, there were 3 small pieces on a blob of dry, tasteless rice - this was supposed to be a risotto, which I have frequently - this rice was dreadful, I had a couple of mouthfuls and left the rest. The dessert I chose was a creme brulee, which was okay, quite good actually seeing as I had very little of the main. Also, our mains arrived at our table at 9.10pm - the restaurant wasn't crammed with people, it was a very easy preparation for the kitchen - set menu, only 9 different options, so why so long? In this day and age where obesity is a problem, forcing consumers to eat more than they wish by way of a set menu is appalling.
The restaurant itself is very nice, the staff were bright and cheerful and the musician was very good. Just make sure you know what they are offering!

Visited February 2014
Otago Region, New Zealand
“Good food, prepared well”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Dined here in Feb 2014 - the mussels were delicious! Staff were friendly which suited the dining style.

Visited February 2014