“Great experience - great staff - great food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ROMA - The Grand Fire - CLOSED

ROMA - The Grand Fire
The Grand Hotel Building | Cnr The Square & Church Street, Palmerston North 5301, New Zealand (Formerly Roma Grand Fire)
06 9525579
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, Bar, Pizza, Dessert, New Zealand
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Levin, New Zealand
“Great experience - great staff - great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Not a pizza/pasta fan I wasn't looking forward to 'Roma' - the name said it all really but friends and family arranged it so ... :) Decor isn't inspiring and I thought 'yep what I expected'. Wrong. If there wasn't something to suit on the varied menu, you would be very difficult to please. Both our waitresses were familiar with every dish on the menu - and not a pizza in sight. We were recommended the buffet. What a feast! Tender beef, lamb, roast potatoes, prawns....etc etc etc cooked to perfection. Compliments to the chef and waitresses (both first class) picking up on the fact some of our party couldn't eat chilli, so presented two of the same dish - one spiced and one not. Fantastic touch. Desserts a bit slow, lacked flair but tasted good. Thank you Roma, we'll be back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Roma032, Owner at ROMA - The Grand Fire, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thankyou so much; Its is always wonderful when we exceed expectations, and we appreciate your letting us know. I will pass this onto our team--- they will wish to thankyou also.
Kind Regards

Hastings, New Zealand
“Great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We came to this restaurant on our last night in Palmy and was so excited as we love pasta and pizza, most of the food was really nice ortho was missing salt. The staff were lovely and very accommodating. The price for what we ordered was reasonable and didn't take to long to come out. The only negative comment would be that it is very confusing having 2 restaurants and 2 menus in 1 place, we were seated upstairs unaware that to order the pasta and pizza you needed to be seated down stairs.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Roma032, Owner at ROMA - The Grand Fire, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thankyou, for reviewing our restaurant-- the staff will be pleased, as are we.
I understand the slight confusion, we are always reviewing ways of overcoming that issue--- hopefully in time we will.
We look forward to you dining with us again.
Many thanks
Feilding, New Zealand
“Glad I came, wouldn't go back.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Had dinner on 29/8, 4 of us all had the buffet which I was very excited about. Long waits for tapas and first course. Loved the beef. My pork belly had lovely flavours but was 95percent fat with no crackle. most of the meal was nice However the inside out sushi was horrible. Please take it off the menu! Sushi should be cold not warm. And the seaweed flavour went all through the chicken. One waitress was really lovely (brunette) and the waitress with short blonde hair really needs more customer service, had no personality and spoke very bluntly. was an OK night but probably wouldn't return

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Roma032, Owner at ROMA - The Grand Fire, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Eva, I am pleased you enjoyed, some of your experience dining with us, but am sorry we didn't match your expectations in other areas. I will certainly have discussions with the chefs regarding the sushi, although the feedback to date has been very positive, obviously not to your choice.
Pork Belly, is Pork belly--- naturally a fatty component from the pig, loved by some and not by others- I am sorry this was not to your liking.
In regards to the staff member, I am very sorry, and will certainly be taking steps to ensure this does not occur again, my sincerest apologies.
As our menu is constantly changing, we con hopefully meet your expectations next time.
Please call me if you would like to discuss your evening further.
(Owner)
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Worth the wait but Watch out for "wings & ribs Wednesday"...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

While our meals were great when they did arrive, watching huge platters of wings and ribs going next door didn't help the experience while we waited s bit too long for anything to to arrive to curb our hunger. We'd definitely come back and have been before but would recommend a tale away from the thoroughfare to the bar next door or head to the adjoining bar in preference on Wednesdays.

Visited August 2013
Roma032, Owner at ROMA - The Grand Fire, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.
Yes, the kitchen in Roma does service the food for the Grand Beer and Wine Café, I am sorry that due to the Ribs and Wings being delivered to the Grand, that your service was slow.
I will discuss this with the staff, so we can have the 'flow' improved.
My sincerest apologies.
Regards
Himatangi, null, New Zealand
“great night out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The only complaint I have is the time between courses, variety and overall experience is fantastic ,really enjoy your restaurant and will be back soon ,just recommended you to friends who will be dining for the first time as they won tickets to the ballet

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Roma032, Owner at ROMA - The Grand Fire, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thankyou for your review, it is very much appreciated.
I will certainly look into the delays, to ensure they cease.
Thankyou also for referring us to your friends.
Our staff will appreciate your feedback.
Kind regards