“Great ambience, great food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Vegetarian, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Broadbeach, Australia
“Great ambience, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We have eaten at the Katch-Up restaurant in the town of Margaret River twice during our stay and thoroughly enjoyed both evenings; great food, great ambience, and really pleasant service. A reflection of the quality that has become synonymous with the region and we were very impressed. Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Simple yet delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I just had my first dining experience at Katchup in Margaret River and was pleasantly impressed. The menu is simple, but the food is very tasty. I had the seafood pasta for $30, which I rated better then some high end restaurant pastas I have had in the past and also much cheaper.

I would rate Katchup somewhere between pub food and restaurant. The owners have clearly focused on simple well presented food at reasonable prices. The service was very good, and I look forward to returning in the future. The word on the street is the seafood platter is also very good!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Silvia K, Owner at Katch-Up Seafood Grill & More, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Freespirittravelong

Thank you very much for taking the time to write an appreciative review on your dinner experience with us.

It is with great delight that I have read that you were „pleasantly impressed“ and that you think that „the food is very tasty“ and „the service was very good“. I am also extremely pleased that you rated our seafood pasta „better than some high end restaurant pastas“.

You are spot on with your remark that we focus on simple yet tasty and well presented food. Apart from some rare and special occasions when you wish to enjoy art on the plate rather than food, my husband and I have come to the conclusion after having dined in some of the most spectacular and famous restaurants in the world for many years that eating simple, tasty dishes that are well cooked and nicely presented is the most satisfying experience for us.

Therefore, our three passionate, highly qualified European chefs create an honest, genuine cuisine with market fresh, seasonal products from local suppliers without using fancy ingredients or elaborate sauces. The focus lies on the freshness and flavour of the basic products as well as on the right cooking. Just as Frédy Girardet, the famous Swiss chef who was the master of simplicity yet tastiness and who was often referred to as a culinary genius and considered by many the best European chef of the 20th century, used to reply when asked the secret of his cuisine: «le respect du Goût originel des produits et des ingrédients et la juste cuisson» (the respect of the original taste of the products and ingredients and the right cooking).

Thank you once again for sharing your dinner experience. We look forward to welcoming you back with us in the near future – maybe for the seafood platter…

Oregon
“Pretty good food, pretty good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

The chef is above average and somewhat original. The service is attentive and cheerful. The prices are reasonable. All in all, this is a good choice for dinner.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Bill S

I am very pleased to read that you consider our „chef above average“ and „the service attentive and cheerful“. Being a „Top Contributor“ at TripAdvisor and having travelled to many different destinations in the world, you obviously have a vast experience of various cuisines and restaurant styles, which makes your positive feedback even more valuable to us.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience. We hope to welcome you back with us again in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
“A welcoming atmosphere with a European edge.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

After a long day spent exploring the stunning beaches of Margaret River, my friends and I were craving some fresh seafood. Having heard from a local that this was the best place to go we didn't hesitate to sit down and try the seafood platter. The staff were welcoming and friendly and the outdoor dining (including blankets) was perfect. The seafood platter for two was incredible, featuring basically the entire ocean on a two tiered stand! The oysters also were delicious, my friends and I ordering another dozen oysters after quickly demolishing our first plates. Having the chance to visit Margaret River again I would not hesitate to go back to this lovely restaurant, the staff, food and atmosphere were unforgettable, it was truly a memorable night with great friends.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Taylor O

Thank you very much for your kind words and your positive feedback about your recent dinner experience with us.

We very much appreciate your comments and that you consider our food incredible and delicious, the staff welcoming and friendly, the atmosphere unforgettable and the outdoor dining perfect! You were such a lovely group that it was a «memorable night» for us, too. We certainly enjoyed very much looking after you!

I shared your comments with our team and I am sure your feedback will encourage all of our staff to improve the quality of our cuisine and service even more.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience. We certainly hope that you do have the chance to visit our stunning Margaret River region again and that we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Perth, Australia
“out of my comfort zone!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I had occasion to visit katchup with a friend some two weeks ago for lunch. I was excited as love seafood and the menu was looking promising...i wanted to try something new for example the crumbed sashimi of tasmanian salmon on a bed of wasabi slaw! On enquiry i learned from the very helpful waiter that this was in fact 'raw'. Oh...was i ready to come out of my comfort zone and try it...no! But this compromise was i had the 'cooked' tasmanian salmon on a bed of mashed potato which was absolutely delicious by the way and my friend had the 'raw' and i was to try a taster. Mmm it was amazing. Ive never eaten raw fish before and was not sure but it was the most delicious flavour - i felt the choice of the tasty crumb and presentation added to the whole experience of bliss!! So much so that i decided to return to Katch-up again today with another friend for lunch. This time i chose the 'special' which was a creamy stock fish with poached egg on chinese cabbage. Yes this time i came out of my comfort zone and went for it as i had been so pleasantly surprised last time and i was not to be disappointed. The lunch was presented as a work of art and was just the perfect lunch choice. I felt nourished and satisfied as opposed to bloated and full which was the perfect way to feel after lunch when there was still an afternoons work to get through! Well done Katch-up...so good to have the quality and ambiance of the wineries here in town!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere