“Over rated over priced and unclean” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hidden Valley Forest Retreat to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Hidden Valley Forest Retreat
Haag Road | Margaret River Wine Region, Margaret River, Western Australia 6285, Australia   |
Special Offer
MUST HAVE WINTER SPECIALS
“Over rated over priced and unclean”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

After staying at a number of retreats in the South West this would be the only bad & worst experience I've ever had.
I suprised my Wife & booked the Deep Water retreat chalet for a special occasion . On entry to the chalet we were
greeted with cobwebs around cieling and windows with flies stuck in them, a kitchen fan with oil dripping off it and a fridge that stinks to high heaven. To top it off a hour & a half after we arrived at our private Deep Water retreat with an outdoor spa the caretaker and his kids turn up without notice to pull a net in off the jetty wich accompanies Deep water Retreat so I'm not to happy with the invasion of privacy!
However after I phoned them about the problems we have had they offered us 2 bottles of wine for the caretker visit and to come and clean again. I would have thought when you pay $495 per night it would be spotless in the first place.
Anyway thanks for a weekend that was supposed to be special but wasn't!!
I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone!!!!

• Stayed September 2012

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I gave my girlfriend a rough idea where we were going...she has super high expectations and hidden valley exceeded my girlfriends expectations! And mine!...the definition of relaxing! The massage,the waking up to the animals in the Forrest,the wine and especially the home made platter and food. I even stuffed my order up and had nothing for the Saturday night....called up and it was my mistake but they accommodated us with in 10mins with most lovely meal.
I was due to fly back offshore on the Monday and I was trying to delay that because it was just so dam relaxing! Couldn't speak high enough about the place...we will be back very soon!
Broc,Rachel.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed 3 years ago in their Deep water retreat and loved it so much that we returned this month for a 3 night stay. It was good but not fantastic like last time. You can't help but feel they are doing things on the cheap. We never had our room cleaned once which was dissapointing as the last thing you want to do is make your bed when you are paying 5 star prices. The coffee and tea were not replaced so we ended up having to buy our own. 3 years ago they use to make fresh bread and drop it off and clean the room, replace milk, tea and coffee everyday. On the plus side their property manager Andrew was very pleasant and knowldegable. It is a beautfiul spot in the forrest very peaceful and quiet. The outdoor spa is amazing. If the owners would put more effort into the little things I would think this place would be booming with couples.

Room Tip: Deepwater Cabin is the best.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Waikiki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We were fortunate enough to be treated to a 2 night stay at Hidden Valley by my husband's friends from work after he had received a bleak prognosis from a second bout of cancer. It was a mystery trip so we didn't know until just before we got there where we were going. What a wonderful stay we had! We left feeling relaxed and full of great food - from the chef-cooked dinner on the first night, to the two humongous platters for lunch the first day and dinner the second night, not to mention the English breakfasts each morning. I had an amazing 2 1/2 hour massage and facial - pure indulgence! Our Eco Lodge was supremely comfortable and the possum was an added bonus! We would definitely recommend this as a great way to spend time as a couple away from the rat race.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I have just read the last review and wondered if they had got the wrong address. We so enjoyed the whole dream-like experience of living in the middle of a forest with not a soul in sight. The out door hot spa went down a treat with the missus; the beautifully prepared breakfast was a blast and we so enjoyed this magical event in our lives. The owners are kind and generous and their wine, as so often happens with vignerons, reflects their nature. The possum called Percy was a bit cheeky but hey, what's a few red grapes, cheese and crisps if you want to get to closer to the forest ? And as for that gorgeous cardinal red fox that ran past in high pursuit of frere rabbit, it was all too much. We couldn't get enough of this place. Oliver and Lavinia. The place was spotless.

Room Tip: the place by the lake is best
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I chose Hidden Valley Forest Retreat for a romantic getaway, I wish it had delivered on it's promises but sadly it couldn't. To check in at reception we had to pick our way through several piles of dog faeces on the path, not a good start. The EcoLodges were smaller than expected and immediate impressions were of the worn, unclean flooring and stained carpets. The very grubby, dilapidated and uninviting sofa may have been more at home in a backpackers hostel, not a romantic lodge. The decor of the 'luxury' bathrooms was basic to say the least and there was even grafitti on the dirty windows which appeared as soon as they steamed up. The whole of the accommodation was dusty and needed a good clean. The accommodation appeared old, worn and in need of refurbishment. Added to this the food was really unremarkable. "Premium aged fillet" turned out to be a thin piece of $5 frozen steak with the price poorly scored out. I hadn't realised 'aged' meant aged in the freezer. It seemed quite cheeky to charge $75 for this with a basic salad and cheap coleslaw from the supermarket. "Eggs from much loved hens" arrived in a box marked "caged eggs". It seems the well written website cannot deliver. I can't help but agree with the other reviews that the owners seem to penny pinch on the basics whilst charging premium rates for the location which is nice but does not make up for the poor standard of accommodation and food which needs a complete overhaul. If you stay here, take your own food. The next time I want a quiet night in the forest, I will consider camping, I'd be better off. I found Hidden Valley Forest Retreat overpriced and not the romantic retreat it promised to be.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

The accommodation is exactly how described and is hidden away in a peaceful valley, with each of the units completely surrounded by the forest and its wildlife. The rooms are open to the bushland through large floor to ceiling windows where possible, giving the feeling that you area really out in the wilderness. Accommodation is comfortable, clean, and ideal for a long weekend break with all the comforts of home. Ideal outdoor decked areas for bbq, drink or quite read, with boardwalks into the forest for further adventure. The only slight disappointment was the aging TV, which sits at a very high position, ideal for viewing from the bed, but not the sofa, it would be difficult to put it anywhere else with the vast amount of windows, but hey, with windows all around, and the peace and tranquillity, who needs a TV. Plenty of books, CDs, and DVDs are available in the accommodation, as well as a large bathroom, with corner spa also looking out into the forest. Its a beautiful place, and certainly worth a second stay. After checking in, and getting a personal introduction to the accommodation, you see nobody else for the rest of your stay!

Room Tip: This was the lower class of the apartments, from a distance the others all looked really nice and se...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hidden Valley Forest Retreat? Share your experiences!