“good, nice,neat, tidy and lots of respect for privacy.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grange on Farrelly

Save Saved
You added Grange on Farrelly to your Saves list
Grange on Farrelly
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16-18 Farrelly Street, Margaret River, Western Australia 6285, Australia   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Margaret River
melbourne
“good, nice,neat, tidy and lots of respect for privacy.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Look, admitabally the place is a bit rustic...heck. If you are just down in Margaret River for a short holiday and need a roof over your head, clean and tidy place...(even though it's not a 5 star premise)....I highly recommend it, for the simplicity they offer... The senior management has full understanding of customer confidentiality and privacy, which is very rare nowadays...holiday seasons are the most tiresome period for any operators in hospitality as staffing is ALWAYS a bother...and with ALL the wanna be's silver spoon in the mouth losers...it makes it all the harder to be hospitalbally able to provide. ONE SHOULD be able to understand that here in WESTERN AUSTRALIA all medium scale businesses are going down the tube, because of irresponsible wanna be's "superzelous reviews". Richard and the rest of the management team has my fullest respect and support. Stayed in Shiraz room for 4 nights and extended another 2...during the Christmas period of 2012. Again thank you sincerely from one hospitality proveryour to another.

Room Tip: Plan your holiday ahead.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
grangeonfarrelly, Owner at Grange on Farrelly, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Hello rock y, thanks for your review straight from the heart!
Yes, life is never easy at the pointy end, and anyone can take shots and they do, nonetheless we press on and try to provide the best service suitable for the majority of our clients, most of whom leave happy with their stays (I know because they tell me so - even though they aren't motivated to rush into print).
Client confidentiality we do take seriously, as you've mentioned.
Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again one day, we remember your stay and enjoyed our conversations.
All the best for 2013.
Richard.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights last week. Parking right outside the room which is handy. We didn't eat here. We went to use the pool (which was half the reason we choose this place overall) but the state of was shocking. Management need to work on this. No beds out and the water was dirty. Shame as it left us disappointed.

• Stayed January 2013
grangeonfarrelly, Owner at Grange on Farrelly, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thanks Kombikru. We have had a couple of adverse comments about the pool in the last few days and I have now stepped-in personally to take charge of it. There are currently no issues.
Let me assure you that the water is never 'dirty', it may have leaves in it at any given time due to overhaging trees, although these are cleaned out daily, but the chemical quality is checked daily by ourselves, weekly by a professional pool maintenance man, and regularly by the Shire Health Dept.
Pool to one side, we are a well located affordable property just a few minutes walk to the Town Centre as so many reviewers have pointed out.
Thank you for your contribuition and we hope to see you again in the future.
Rgds,
Richard
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Friendly staff who are very accommodating to guest needs. Great location. 2mins walk from main road and great restaurants. Nightly rate was rather high (as with all other Margaret River accom) especially as breakfast is not included. Decor is outdated.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks Tendai M. Yes, we are Old Fashioned in our way, but we do try to stay contemporary with the services we offer our guests, there is a demographic that appreciates our style and that is what encourages us to keep going. However, for the record, I'll just comment that 'we', the other half (I hope she doesn't read this one) and I, have recently employed a switched on younger lady to oversee a bit of a modernisation programme and to take up the reins as we older ones take a step back from the day to day fray. We are confident that the end result will be an improvement for our guests.
Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again one day.
Rgds,
Richard
Albany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Just spent 4 nights, was impressed with the size of the room. Overall it appeared clean but lying on the bed looking towards the "kitchen area" found cobwebs on the ceiling, heavy dust behind the bedside tables. the LED TV was mounted too high to view and was loosing picture quality so lowered it down to the desk unit where it improved picture quality immensely. TV was covered in thick dust. Bed was just ok & no latch on main window. (security issue) The door lock to the court yard was difficult to turn and needs replacing (common fault with old tie-bolt lock sets). Also there appeared to be a dried lump of faeces next to the roll holder in the toilet.
I took photos of issues but don't think it's right to add them here.

The setting was really nice & quiet, pool was lovely clean.

I realise that after reading most of the reviews & replies that an excuse will be made for these issues, but the reality is if reviewers are saying it's tired then you should perhaps believe them.

This is what this forum is all about, honest info for potential customers. I also am aware that every room is different.

Would I stay again? by myself on a business trip yes, with my wife no.

Hi end of the season but $210 was prob $50 to much.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
grangeonfarrelly, Owner at Grange on Farrelly, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Hello xpatTM, thanks for your comments.
First, let me say that I always respond to reviews, good or otherwise, because I think that if someone takes the trouble to write in then they deserve a response, let me assure you that all comments are taken to heart, good or otherwise, and I don't offer excuses.
In this case, we apologise, of course, for the lapse in houeskeeping that you pointed to, but may I suggest that a better way to deal with this would be to talk to management at the time so that we have the opportunity to correct the deficiency, and can take up the issue with the relevant staff straight away. All that is required is a low key comment and we can act on it, no stress.
The positioning of the TVs in some of the rooms is something that we inherited, but I agree that it isn't ideal, when we are next doing a major overhaul we will rectify it, but it isn't something that can be done in isolation, we are aware of it and have it on the list of things to do, is what I am trying to say.
Overall, we thought your review was quite generous, and we look forward to seeing you again one day, even if only on business.
Oh yes, one more thing, tired/dated whatever you want to call it, some things we can do, some things we can't. We are right now in the process of changing a few things, we hope for the better, and so our clients will be noticing a bit of an uplift in the next few months. Stay tuned.
Regards,
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Im a little disappointed for my value for money here.$230 a night with no breakfast gets you a little room with a TV and a very loud AC unit. The Spa Bath is dirty looking and once is filled with water you cant get the plug out . The bed is not a queen and they gave us 2 pillows from the 1970s like the rest of the decor.
On the website there is a picture of what looks like a pool(misleading photography-Should of read the facilities I know) but is actually a pond and at the moment has no water init just millions of mosquitos breading. Its all very old fashioned. You don't even get 2 spoons for the teas and coffees. The towels we had been given looked like they where left overs from the op shop down the road. It is quiet and in a good location but its not good value at these prices. Better off in a backpackers !!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 23 a queen spa.its quiet unless people sit on there verandas then you here everywo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
grangeonfarrelly, Owner at Grange on Farrelly, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Hello Quinns, A little hyperbole there, but that's OK. I wondered for a moment whether you'd mixed up your motels, but yes it's true the plug in the spa bath did get stuck, well and truly stuck and I had to get pliers to remove it, thanks for reminding me I'll have to go to the hardware and buy a different type.
Your pool comments are a complete mystery since the pool is full of, I can't remember how many, thousands of litres of sparkling water and people have been using it every day since the hot weather arrived, certainly no mosquitoes, or other complaints, happening there.
Otherwise, the Queen beds ARE Queen beds. Sorry if someone 'souvenired' one of your teaspoons and it wasn't noticed and replaced - you wouldn't believe how many of those we buy each year, I should get our name printed on them! (for advertising). The towels, we are pretty much using all new stock now so I think it unlikely that you would have got very old ones - unless you are talking about the pool towels we supply on request, then, yes, we do use up old ones we keep on one side that are still serviceable but not suitable to put in the rooms.
Finally, on the question of price this is a perennial issue that comes up every Christmas/New Year. Pricing is wholly dependent on competition and supply and demand, I need say no more because everybody knows - except to add that our pricing is always in line with other venues operating in the same market, relative to star ratings and location, of course.
Thank you for your comments, and we'll continue on our drive to make improvements each year.
Happy New Year to you and yours.
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This hotel is truely different and reminds us of the Little America chain in the US. On the plus side the staff are friendly, the rooms are spacious, the location is very close to town and roomy. As has been said, the rooms are different and not to everyones taste - and they weren't to ours. Very clean though. I will be honest and say however that I prefer modern hotels that are light and airy and these units are definately not that. Having said that, we enjoyed our stay but would try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello chchgecko. Thanks for your review, which is difficult to respond to, except to say that we always acknowledge that the Grange is not going to be all things to all people. You are one of those people who didn't like the particular ambience of the Grange, it is a bit different as you've rightly pointed out, and we can live with that - apart from that subjective opinion we thought the rest of your review was of a positive nature; thanks for trying our establishment and maybe we will see you again one day.
Happy New Year to you and yours.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Grange with three other couples for a long weekend, whist attending a wedding. Not knowing what to expect, we were all pleasantly surprised. Check in was smooth and friendly. Each room has its own parking bay, but a car is not needed for the short stroll into the main area of town. Just cross the road as you leave the Grange entrance, walk through the hospital grounds and on through Coles car park, and voila! you are in the middle of all the shops and restaurants. The motel restaurant has a new Swiss chef, and the menu looked very appealing. Shame we didn't have time to try it out. The rooms are huge by motel standards, containing one double bed and one single bed as well as a big wardrobe. Three of the four rooms had four poster beds.There is a settee, coffee table, and window seat at one end of the room, adjacent to a back door leading onto a verandah which had a small outdoor table and two chairs.. There was a large flat screen TV on the wall, and a desk and chair underneath it. The rooms have a fair size fridge with small cartons of milk for using with the coffee and t bags provided. This left plenty of room in the fridge for our drinks and snacks. The bathroom which was quite dark, had a shower, toilet and washbasin. A huge plus was the powerful hairdryer provided.The towels, whilst not big white and fluffy, were absorbent and therefore adequate. I have a thing about top hotels which provide thick luxurious towels which don't actually dry you and hair dryers which sound like mozzies.
The main thing is that although the decor may not be to everyone's taste, being a bit chintzy with lots of dark wood, it was spotlessly clean.
The pool though small is a bonus, and the barbecue/outdoor seating area is very attractive.
All in all, the consensus of opinion was that it is a winning place to stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in Rooms 1 to 4 inclusive. They are the most convenient for reception"
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
grangeonfarrelly, Owner at Grange on Farrelly, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear mctKalmundaWA, I hope I got that right,. it's a bit of a mouthful - just joking.
Thank you very much for your detailed and positive review, which we appreciate all the more knowing that it is the distillation of the thoughts of eight guests staying simultaneously.
The chintz, yes, oh well, it sort of goes with the property style so we don't change it. In a way the old Grange is unique, so it is what it is, we will continue on with our theme of affordable, clean, comfortable and location, location, location!
All the very best, and we hope to see you and your friends again one day.
Richard.

Been to Grange on Farrelly? Share your experiences!