“Very nice setting, overpriced, beer, if you wanna call it that” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: German, Australian
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The beautiful surrounds of Saracen Estates on Caves Rd plays host to the Duckstein Brewery. On display in the restaurant is a 1000L brewery which produces a range of German-style beers. Families are well catered for; with friendly staff and kids playground. Attached to the Brewery and Restaurant is Saracen Estates Cellar Door with wine tasting daily. Come experience the best of both worlds at Margaret Rivers premier venue.
Perth, Australia
“Very nice setting, overpriced, beer, if you wanna call it that”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I am a german living in Australia for ten years. Took my parents here, while they're on a visit from Germany. Was quite excited about the place and when we pulled up I got even more excited. Very beautiful setting, nice lake, nice view, in all a beautiful place. But, and this is a very big but, and this is why we came here, we had a look at the menu and I am sorry, but $18 for bread and dips, $28 for a salad, $32 for a steak sandwich, $63 for a Schweinshaxe, that was charcoaled and quite dry.
And don't get me started on the beer, german beer in a pint glass??? And no head on it either? Very disappointing for a place that advertises german style everything! Although even a proper wheat beer glass wouldn't have covered up the disappointing taste of it.
Not up to the standard it sets itself. Too expensive, not good at all. Maybe we should have taken note of the empty carpark sooner...

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Too expensive ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

How can you charge $32 for a steak sandwich? Horrendously expensive. Also they serve soft drinks from 1.25 litre bottles which they would have bought at Coles for a $1.20 and charge $5.50 per glass! Robbed. Sorry won't return.

“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

My partner and I wanted to come and try this place for sometime. I am german and have been looking forward to some nice german food. What a disaster.
The restaurant itself is not very welcoming and charming. Just like sitting in a glasshouse... anyway, we came for the food.
We ordered a garlic bread -$15 for 3 tiny slices of bread with some feta on the side. Tasted nice but definitely not worth the price. For main we wanted to share the 'schweinshaxe'.sounded nice with sauerkraut and mash and we ordered a side of panfried potatoes.
This must have been the worst meal we ever had. My partner being a chef eats alot of things not complaining. But this meal was just inedible. I don't know if its always served like this or if we got them on a bad day.... we should have been worried it only took them like 10mins to send the mains...
The mash only warm, no seasoning, dry and old. The sauerkraut the same. The panfried potatoes nothing what they are really meant to be like.The haxe....the worst. I dont even know how to describe it. It was just wrong. It smelled old and you couldnt get the meat of the bone. As nobody checked on our meals I had to go and complain. The girl at the counter was really good and given the money back straight away.
We still paid $35 for a glass wine, a beer and a garlic bread. Just too much.
Well this is not what german food really is and people will get a wrong impression with the food being served at this place. Will not recommend or ever go back.

Perth, Australia
“Friendly staff and big meals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Location was great and staff friendly. Meals came really quick. We had the wiener schnitzel with mushroom sauce chips and salad and if you are really hungry go for it. I was not able to finish as I was full. Would go back

Visited February 2014
Perth, Australia
“Nice lunch with a nice view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

This is worth visiting if you are near by. I didn't taste beer but had nice German lunch. Nice little lake view, very relaxing. A lot of people have weddings here. Try bratwurst with sauerkraut if you are hungry, the portion is huge and real German!

Visited February 2014