“Great wines and surroundings” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Fremantle, Australia
“Great wines and surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The wines we tasted didn't sweep me off my feet, relative to some other places I'd visited, but the restaurant meal was wonderful (lamb) and the rose gardens are a lovely spot to wander for a while.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Bigger than ben hur”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

It is a must see. Do you self a favour. Fantastic set up and the biggest flag i've every seen. Good wines, gardens are superb, you just gotta go and have a look.

Melbourne Australia
“Worst cellar door experience ever!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I'm sorry for the restaurant which I didn't visit, because of the visit to the cellar door first.

Me and my partner visited the Voyager cellar door recently as we were touring the Margaret River area. Winery's setting looks lovely but unfortunately once you step in, it seems that you are judged by your looks (even in smart casual) or what ever the tasting person's mind was creating in his mind.

At the day (5th of October), we were travelling in two cars and me and my partner arrived first to this cellar door. At the time there were two guys serving tastings, of which one was busy with other customers. We were approached by the "Flavio", who immediately made a decision that he didn't like us, as it could be REALLY obviously read from his face. He served us slowly, doing other tasks and leaving us wonder if he would be back. He seemed to concentrate to another couple, who arrived after us, which for us was fine but he made sure that he was back to us, as any other staff members approached us (whom we actually would have happily changed to if possible). As the "gift to the mankind" made us feel extreamly uncomfortable, we decided to finish quickly abd purchased one bottle of wine which we quite liked. As he packed our purchase in paper, I asked if he could kindly give a small bag and his answer was that he couldn't do that.

Other people from our party arrived to the winery whilst we were leaving and we told them about our experience. Their decision was to have a quick tasting, and they purchased wine too, but somehow managed to get a bag for a single bottle.

Bity that I'm not here to write about the restaurant but this exprerience was enough for us with Voyager. Luckily there is lots of great cellar doors in Margaret River, where we bought lots of wines (like spending over $1000 at the next door winery). This winery has some (the ones that we managed to taste before our escape) good wines, but unfortunately we weren't the customers that at least one person didn't like to see on their doorstep.

• Visited October 2012
Janine C, Cellar Door Manager at Voyager Estate, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I'm so sorry to read about your bad experience. This is definitely not how we want our customers to feel. We take all feedback very seriously and I will be following this up with our team, and the individual involved. If you return to Margaret River, I hope you allow us the chance to improve your opinion of our cellar door.

Janine Carter
Cellar Door Manager
Penrith, Australia
“More than just wines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The gardens and the ambience was worth the visit. We wandered around the rose gardens and enjoyed the sunshine and the views.The cellar door was very nice and the products were well priced.We didn't taste the wines but enjoyed the rest.

Singapore, Singapore
“If you only have time for one winery...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My family's visit to Voyager Estate was easily one of the highlights of our trip to Margaret River last week. It truly is an experience that begins the moment you first interact with the staff.

I had emailed VE a couple of weeks prior to my visit to book a tour and lunch, and received a reply confirming my booking within a day. On the morning of the tour, I received a call from Heather, the person who had been assigned to my booking, to inform me that the tour had to be cancelled due to bad weather (it had been raining and we knew we were taking a chance, visiting in Spring).

Nonetheless, Heather informed us that we were welcome to drop by for a tasting session and lunch as planned.

From the moment we arrived at VE, the service was exceptional. From the reception, we were whisked off to a private tasting room, where several tasting portions of their reds had been airing. I didn't ask, but I presumed that they were trying to make the experience special since the tour had been called off.

We also had a lovely lady (her name escapes me now) patiently guide us through the six wines we tasted (3 whites and 3 reds). There was no pressure on us to make any purchases and the staff all seemed genuinely proud to work there.

Moving into the restaurant, I was pleasantly surprised that they had set a table to accommodate the stroller my baby girl was in. I had mentioned in my email that I would be traveling with an infant, but I thought it was a nice touch that the folks handling the estate tour bookings communicated with the folks running the restaurant.

The lunch was excellent. By Western Australian standards, the menu was not terribly expensive (worked out to about A$50+ per person, including 2 flights of wine (six glasses)) and went beautifully with the wines we ordered.

Perhaps the only downside is that it does take awhile for your food to arrive - we waited about 40 minutes in a half-empty restaurant. The consolation is that the interior of the restaurant/tasting hall is beautifully done up so it was nice to just walk around while waiting.

After lunch, we strolled through the gardens surrounding the restaurant. Definitely THE image of Margaret River that my family and I will be bringing home. Many thanks to the staff for an unforgettable experience!

Cheers,
Danny

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Janine C, Cellar Door Manager at Voyager Estate, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Hello Danny

Thank you for the detailed review, and I'm very pleased to hear your whole experience was so special. I will pass on your comments to the team ,particularly the staff involved, as it means a lot to have people take the time to say thank you. We look forward to seeing you next time you're in Margaret River, and perhaps the weather will be kinder to allow you to go on our Estate Tour.

Regards