“Two night stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Kalgoorlie Resort and Spa

You added Rydges Kalgoorlie Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Rydges Kalgoorlie Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21 Davidson Street, Kalgoorlie, Western Australia 6430, Australia   |
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Deal
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kalgoorlie
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Two night stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Stopped for two night's on December 21st and 22nd. Room nice bed lovely after a long drive. Got our son and his young family to come on the Saturday as it was very hot. They used the pool with us and the barbecue. The staff were very helpful and even bought out tomato sauce for the hotdog's my husband cooked. Breakfast was ok. Could have been warmer? This was our second visit and we will visit again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
EdwardTKBrennan, General Manager at Rydges Kalgoorlie Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Paula P,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed the use of facilities in particular our resort style pool area and found our staff to be helpful. I hope to see you again soon in the Goldfields!

Kind Regards and Happy New Year,

Edward Brennan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Kalgoorlie, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed in Rydges over christmas and would never stay there again. The grounds were unkept and the dishes around the swimming pool had to be cleared by an off duty staff member after ten hours. As for the rooms the tap on the kitchen sink fell off and the toilet roll was broken. The carpet had stains on it and we were bitten by some sort of insect during the night while we were asleep. We ordered a burger the day before christmas to be advised that they had run out. Also ran out of ice on christmas day. For a resort there is much to be desired at Rydges Kalgoorlie and you have to wonder what the management is doing, apparently not their job.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jill H,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

I am disappointed that your experience whilst staying at the resort was not to your expectations and indeed not to the level of service we strive to provide. I have addressed the issues you have mentioned and I am confident going forward that we have rectified these.

Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We had three nights in a studio deluxe at a discount rate - $318 for three nights. Tip: join the "Priority Rewards" program before booking, for some good discounts.

Checkin: Friendly and efficient. We were not offered the complementary drinks or other priority club goodies.

The room: the room itself was quite large and well equipped. It included a very comfortable king bed, flat screen TV (though the picture quality was not very good) , table and a couple of chairs etc. There was a little kitchenette with microwave, toaster & kettle etc. the bathroom was large and very nicely appointed including a spa bath. There was also a small balcony overlooking the street and the back of the Harvey Normans shop.

The approach to the room was a bit off-putting. Unlike the majority of rooms which faced the garden areas, this one was around a corner, past the service area, up some narrow stairs and through an industrial feeling area which could generously be described as a courtyard. This was surrounded by noisy air conditioning units - all a bit ordinary.

The room location had a couple of other downsides. First, the traffic, although not heavy, was very noisy. The hotel can't do much about this, but the noise generated by its own activities should be addressed. Our room was located immediately over the service area, and we were subjected to a lot of the noise. Rubbish bins were put out at midnight, with a great deal of banging and crashing, breaking of glass and loud talking. Then at 7:00 Sunday morning(!) the rubbish trucks arrived with noisy engines, loud talking, more banging and crashing. This was really unacceptable in my view.

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant, which wasn't too bad. I'll write about this in a separate review.

Checkout was OK, though we had to remind the clerk about the discounts offered through the reward program

In summary, this was an excellent hotel spoiled by a few issues, mainly to do with noise. I'd happily recommend it to others, but with a few caveats -

- join the rewards program before booking - its free and offers cheap rates and substantial discounts on the restaurant etc.

- try to avoid rooms on the Oswald Street frontage, especially near the corner. Traffic noise and noise from the service area are very disturbing.

- ensure that the staff are aware you are a member of the program, and ensure you get the relevant discounts etc.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing Oswald Street - they are very noisy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
EdwardTKBrennan, General Manager at Rydges Kalgoorlie Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Paul_FIsher,

I am pleased you joined our new Priority Guest Rewards program and took advantage of the discounts offered. It certainly can be beneficial, and you can earn points at any of our hotels worldwide.

Quite correctly, your room was unfortunately street side which obviously can be noisy at certain times. Certainly if a guest requests a quiet or poolside room we do our utmost to accommodate this. However, I do appreciate that traveller's may not know which rooms they are being allocated. As such I am instigating a program based on your feedback to try where possible to allocate Priority Guest Rewards Members the poolside rooms as part of their benefits.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed a few weeks back and was generally surprised how good the rooms were. Very comfortable beds which is well needed after long periods of driving, rooms are very large if you're staying a few days or weeks. The service in the Resturant is lacking however particularly breakfast but for dinner just a short couple of blokes is a Resturant called the palace ( Balcony Resturant) great food by any standard, just make sure you book ahead!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear DarrynF,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased you found the rooms to your liking and our new Rydges Dream Beds comfortable. I must admit that we have experienced some teething issues with breakfast, but I am confident we have ironed these out going forward.

Kalgoorlie, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed in the rydges 28th-30th of September for 2 nights for our 2nd anniversary. My Husband booked online and the price was $169 for a deluxe studio king room...we didn't check the confirmation price in the email and even if we had it would have been considered a cancellation to cancel and have it rebooked. so My husband turns up to check us in and the price is $242 a night. My husband wrote an email to rydges which when you email they allow you a whole 25 words or less to explain. we received an email back saying basicly bad luck you didn't check your confirmation email. We have decided we will not be going back to Rydges if this is the sort of response we receive. I do have to say staff were very nice and the problem of noisy cleaners early in the morning seems to have been solved...in the past we have had cleaners shouting and knocking on doors when we just wanted to sleep in, we even had one staff walk into our room after knocking and not waiting. Like I said this wasn't a problem this time. the restaurant was good though it was better last time we went about 6 months earlier...I also have to say if you get the tea infused Kangaroo it tastes like burnt meat...not the chefs fault as it was cooked perfectly just the tea is not a good combination and leaves a bitter burnt taste on the roo which was barely edible. the dream beds are great and curtains keep all the daylight out which is great. I am sorry but as nice as it is we are locals and very upset with the attitude and over charging from higher up we will now stay elsewhere on special occasions like for my birthday in a few weeks.

Room Tip: check your email confirmations closely also try and get a room away from the pool area as it can be...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear KazMic,

Thank you for your feedback. I have looked into your booking and can see that whilst online at one stage it may have been $169, upon booking it was indeed $242 per night. That said, given that you have stayed previously, and I would like to atone for the error, if you do wish to stay again, please feel free to ask for me directly upon booking. I have addressed the feedback regarding the menu and in particular the kangaroo, and we have now changed the menu. I do appreciate the feedback regarding this, as without feedback, negative or positive, we would not be able to improve. I am pleased that we have been able to rectify the issues with housekeeping through feedback from yourself and others.

Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is THE place to stay in Kalgoorlie, doubly so if you can get a room deal. The rooms are big, modern with all amenities. There's a great swimming pool. Restaurant food was good. The only downside was the price of the wine list - search hard for a bottle in the $30's. Do they think the Gold Rush is still on !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear profitpie,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and the facilities we provide. I will take your feedback on board regarding the wine prices, I do believe though they are competitive with similar standards restaurants and we do have over 10 in the $30 range.

I hope to see you back in the Goldfields in the near future!

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed here last week for 2 nights. Room was large and well equipped (1st room shown had a bit of a smoke/stale smell) but I was quickly allocated another room without fuss.
The location of the property is far enough outside of the very busy Kalgoorlie hub so I found this to be a peaceful respite after a long day at work.
I had an enjoyable dinner at the hotels restaurant. I didn't have breakfasts at Rydges during my stay so I can't comment on this aspect.
Overall, a pleasing stay and will choose stay here again the next time I'm required to return to Kal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear fresh_prince_perth,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I do apologize for the smoky/musty smell when you checked in. All of our rooms are non--smoking, however on occasion sometimes this overlooked by guests. I am pleased however, we were able to move you to another room quickly. I will certainly pass your comments onto the restaurant team who will be chuffed to hear the feedback.

SIncerely,

Edward Brennan

Been to Rydges Kalgoorlie Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!