“A bit of a mixture” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Bunbury, Australia
“A bit of a mixture”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

A bit of a mixture in two ways. We went on a mild sunny Sunday afternoon and sat outside and it was magical. We ordered a tapas selection and grazed happily sharing the food while we looked at the water. It was excellent. YET, on a previous occasion one of our party wanted to tweek their order and the Chef refused. We were all embarrassed and pretty angry. We thought the customer was always right. I'm glad we have now supplanted that memory with a better one.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Perth, Australia
“Excellent meal and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We travelled down from Perth on a wet and miserable Saturday specifically for a meal at Casellas and we were very pleased we made the effort. The food was well presented and really tasty, the wine selection was great and the staff were friendly, relaxed and eager to ensure we had a good time. Looking forward to going back again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Truly scrumptious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

What a great spot for sharing delicious food. The 4 of us chose to share everything (5 tapas dishes and 2 mains between 4 people worked very well) and have each dish come out as it was ready. A spot-on decision for how to enjoy the tapas, and the mains, at this place. The service was attentive and friendly, and the white sangria was tasty and refreshing. Get the duck, it is terrific.

Visited May 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Casella's Bunbury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Have been 3 times and you have to appraise it for where it is, not Subiaco, Surrey Hills or South Yarra. For what it offers I believe , all round, good value.
Sure, food a bit overworked however a good solid performer for a relatively small population.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“The best food on offer in Bunbury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Visited Casellas for the first time ever this week - I am a local and can't believe it took me so long to come in and have a meal. Well I've got to say I can't see myself going anywhere else after trying the tapas menu!

We came in for a relaxed late afternoon lunch since the weather was so gorgeous. The location boasts a million dollar view right on the waterfront. Our first day we ordered Chiccarrones - fried pork belly with Pedro ximenez vinegar. Very tasty and crunch texture. The Patatas Bravas - fried potatoes in spicy tomato sauce with bacon, chorizo, capsicum cheese and onion was to die for! So much flavor with just the right balance of savoury and sweet. Not like some of the tomato based dishes where the tomato sauce isn't cooked long enough that it doesn't have any depth. This was insanely delicious. The Cordero a la Parilla - char grilled spiced lamb backstrap served with capsicum, red onion relish and mint yoghurt was perfectly cooked. Not over or under done. Positively melted in our mouths. I'm not a yoghurt person but this accompaniment was just perfect. Escabeche - fried then simmered barramundi cutlets and Spanish vegetables in lemon saffron broth tasted awesome. This is my style of eating. To be able to have so much variety in one meal just allows you to eat more and really enjoy the meal - slowly and leisurely.
I normally only drink water when I eat out as I find flavored drinks fill me up too much but I decided to try the white wine Sangria. So glad I did! It was light and refreshing and I enjoyed the half litre pitcher so much I polished it off easily by the end of the meal.
Even though we were quite satiated after these dishes we decided to try some of the desserts. The Ensaimada - yeast leavened cake topped with buttercream frosting and grated cheese was delightful. Definitely my favorite dessert I wouldn't hesitate to have again even though I am not a sweets person. My hubby ordered the Dolce de Leche - caramel, orange custard, saffron buttercream, meringue disk and vanilla sponge was very very sweet but still enjoyable. It's something you wouldn't make at home as it would probably be too time consuming but altogether worth a try.

I can't praise the food enough that's how much I loved it and all other restaurants in Bunbury are ruined for me now. All I can think about is going back to try more of the dishes. I would have given 5 stars in my review but found that the service staff weren't really interested in their jobs? All except the guy behind the bar that moved here from Perth. I suppose he had more experience in restaurant work and interacting with the customer coming from the big smoke. We weren't checked to see if everything was okay once we were delivered our dishes and they were hasty to get back to doing what they were doing. Very disappointing as we would have liked to enquire who the chef was and to have our appreciation for our meals communicated to the kitchen. This was a dining experience we wanted to gush compliments about but no one was bothered to find out. Despite this we came back 2 days later and ordered several more tapas dishes and were as impressed with the taste sensations as the previous time. Again the wait staff never made eye contact whilst we were there. I can only assume they didn't want to risk us asking them to do extra for us. I did see the chef come out to the bar to get himself a coffee and he glanced at us and smiled however I didn't get a chance to wave him over to express our delight over our food. The restaurant wasn't even busy at the time we came in for a meal. We were having tapas which is served all day and we were there from 1.30 - 3.15 the first time and 3.00 - 5.10 the second time.
I can't say the service was bad as such but it was disinterested and basic. We came in for the food on the menu however and the service is the only reason we didn't give this review a 5 out of 5.

I sure hope the chefs that designed the menu and cooked the food are well looked after. Nowhere in Bunbury can even compare or compete with the taste sensations that make your taste buds dance like mine have while eating the food at this establishment. I even prefer to eat here than anywhere in Perth so I guess I'm lucky I am a local!