“Seriously stay anywhere else but here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Discovery Holiday Parks Warrnambool

You added Discovery Holiday Parks Warrnambool to your Saves list
Discovery Holiday Parks Warrnambool
3.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   25 Pertobe Rd, Warrnambool, Victoria 3280, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Like us on Facebook!
Bendigo, Australia
“Seriously stay anywhere else but here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

The park is not up to standard of a Big 4. It's not as shown on the website, way overpriced. The campers are packed in like sardines, the pool is tiny and the water incredibly cloudy. They even had a tent pitched on the footpath near the camp kitchen. The cabin was not deluxe, in fact far from it. This has to be the only time we hadn't checked trip advisor prior to booking and boy do we regret it. We paid $500 for two nights - peak January, and stayed none. We moved to Lady Bay resort down the road (see separate comments) and lost our money from this park.
Upon return we have written to Big 4 and Discovery Holiday parks. As at time of writing this review, we have had one letter back from Big 4 advising that the parks are individually owned and that therefore they are sending my comment to them. I have no expectation of a reply. Costly, dirty, old, and the bed in our cabin was clearly used as a trampoline. The campers next door were incredibly close - with their annexe resting on our wall. There are much better parks than this, and better priced apartment accommodation. The staff did not care at all.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
DiscoveryHolidayPark, Manager at Discovery Holiday Parks Warrnambool, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We have received your letter and the Area Manager will be in touch to talk with you about your concerns and the issues you encountered.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Paringa, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

As this park is owned by the other caravan park (surf side), I believe this one is the more neglected of the two. We expected more for the money we paid, the studio cabins are outdated and definitely need attention. A good bed would do the trick.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
DiscoveryHolidayPark, Manager at Discovery Holiday Parks Warrnambool, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Hi Shannon, thanks for your feedback, we value all comments we receive and use them to further develop the products and services we deliver.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

First the facilities were nice and the people were really friendly. It was the first stop on our family vacation in Australia and I cannot really say we were disapointed with the facilities. The only knock I would say against the site is that the town seems to have 'caught up' with the campground and it almost feels like a motel in certain places and not a campground. While the campground is right down at the 'ocean' you do not get the sense you are in the 'Australian Countryside' camping although it is convenient to have a city park right beside the campground as well as the mini-golf and the amusement park in January. My only suggestion to people looking at this campround is that if you want a location in the wilderness/countryside try another site.

Room Tip: If you want a little bit less car traffic try to go to the 'back' of the campground, it is b...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I stayed here for a week in October and the weather was nothing short of lousy the entire week. Driving wind and rain - which I loved. Actually forced me to relax and unwind from busy corporate life.

I wanted something basic, no frills and above all else: QUIET. And that it was. Maybe because I was staying out of peak times. Although I did stay the weekend of the melbourne - Warrnambool bicycle race but with a park half full of semi-pro NRS cyclists they weren't an issue.

I found the average stay of other visitors to the park was max 2 - 3 nights and didn't have any issues with anyone else. Very few kids there (which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you are on your own and want quiet)

I went down with three goals of: riding the Port Fairy - Warny Railtrail, riding the beach trail and relax. Achieved all 3 without stepping on the sand.

You pay $2 (2 x $1) to use the communal spa. The pool was heated in October which was good.

The communal bbq area was quiet and very clean - was enclosed that time of the year, with a tv in the area, 4 bbq tops, 2 fridges (if you don't have a fridge you can use one of these if you mark your items with your name/ site number, sink and boiling water tap (to make tea/ coffee).

The games room next to the eating area was quite nice - including a free video game to play whilst waiting for the clothes washing/ drying.

To use the washing machine is $3 (3 x $1) (laundry powder available @ reception) and I spent $3 (3 x $1) per dryer load (industrial sized dryers) which was sufficient for quite a large load to dry. Reception has change if you require. I didn't have have issues with the laundry (ie. didn't appear to be used that often) using 1. the bbq area, 2.washing/ drying rooms and 3. pool/ spa.

I stayed in the 6 berth family deluxe cabin as I had a bike to store and I found it neat, tidy and well presented. It is basic, but what do you expect from a Jayco Cabin in a cabin park? If you want something better, you'll pay more and be further away from the beach and in the centre of town in a motel. The 6 berth cabin came with an iron/ board, broom, plates, knives, forks etc. The TV was atop the fridge if you have kids, this could cause a problem, but tell them to outside and play, or read a book - I know i did plenty of reading that week as I didn't want to sit and watch tv all week.

The beach is across the road plus an easy cut through the caravan park opposite (that is only open during peak season) - you can still walk through the caravan park opposite when it is closed without issue. Maybe 2 minute easy walk. I stayed @ the back of the park so road noise and oceans crashing wasn't an issue. WIth onsite resident managers, I don't think they'd tolerate too much late night partying and disruption to other guests.

I didn't have much to do with the onsite managers but when I did they were always polite and cheerful and always said hello. I was basically left to myself - which is definately what I needed/ wanted.

Reasonable pricing for fully self contained basic accomodation.

I found the queen bed quite comfortable. In the 6 berth cabin the main bedroom was a bit small with a queen sized bed in there, but I wasn't phased. I was on my lonesome. I used the 2nd bedroom to store suitcase and bike + bike bits as I was on my lonesome for most of the trip. Listening to the howling winds coming in off the southern ocean and the rain pelting on the cabin roof brought back fond memories of stayinig in my parent's caravan. Even the tree branches rustling on the roof was quite relaxing.

Lake Pertobe and relaxing walks are only 1 minute away. The breakwater is only 6 - 7 mins walk away and the township centre is only 5 mins drive away. The Port Fairy-Warrny railtrail start is @ the breakwater is accessible off road from directly opposite the park if you want to start right @ the start. Otherwise it goes within 200metres of the park entrance.

Don't get me wrong, this park isn't designed for couples or singles, it is a family park: for kids, there is the beach across the road and through the caravan park opposite, onsite games room, onsite heated swimming pool, paid mini golf is 30 seconds walk, bike path alongside/ off the road is directly across the road, lake pertobe adventure playground is 4 mins walk away (adult speed), lawn tennis is next door for hire and Flagstaff hill museum is 2 mins drive away.

I'd recommend staying here again for sure.

Room Tip: 6 berth deluxe family cabin - the bathroom was a bit small as was the main bedroom - sacrificed to m...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
DiscoveryHolidayPark, Manager at Discovery Holiday Parks Warrnambool, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Hi waggerbj, thanks for your review and sharing your experience of your stay in Warrnambool
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

"Delux" Cabins were looking tired and bed linen was unclean. When unclean linen was returned to them the room was not given a full clean we were merely given new linen. $15 per day for wifi per device is too expensive and two sachets of toiletries for four people for two nights was insufficient and according to the person responsible for changing linen apparently the "allowance". Not comparable with other places we have stayed on this trip.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
DiscoveryHolidayPark, Manager at Discovery Holiday Parks Warrnambool, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Hi Simon, Thanks for your review and taking the time to provide your feedback. We will look into the issues you have raised.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We are on a family driving holiday at the moment we have stayed in 7 different places in the last 2 weeks, and this place is by far our worst pick. The family cedar cabins were very small, rather dacky, no laundry facilities, and at $208 a night one of our more expensive stays. We have found that Big 4 accomodation is generally no frills quality for a premium price. So if you are a family looking for a good value place to stay consider trying a resort before a caravan park you will be surprised by the excellent deals around.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
DiscoveryHolidayPark, Manager at Discovery Holiday Parks Warrnambool, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hi Gellatlys, thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback and use all comments to further improve and develop the products and services we deliver.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We booked a deluxe family cabin for us and our three children (one infant) which was recommended to us at the time of booking. We also booked a portacot and high chair, which was fortunate, as we were told that there was only one high chair available throughout the entire park, which I found a bit surprising. Check in was simple and swift with signature and rego taken, keys handed over along with directions to cabin, might of been nice to have more of an orientation to the park. The first thing I noticed as we entered the cabin was the grotty couch. It was in quite a state and I promptly put a blanket over it to help me feel more comfortable. Even the kids noticed! The couch sat only three people, so for three wet days it wasn't quite the space to relax at the end of the day. The cabin was small and lacked and space for storing bags, and even your food shopping, however it had a handy full sized fridge and there was plenty of hanging rails for towels. The cabin was relatively clean but due to its age and deterioration, it felt grubby overall. The bedding, fixtures and fittings were all needing an upgrade. The split system heating was effective and warmed the whole cabin up quickly and there were enough basic implements to make simple dishes. All this feedback is in relation to the fact we had booked and paid for a deluxe cabin, it was far from that and more like what I would expect from a budget cabin. The park itself was tidy and quiet but due to the cold and wet weather we didn't utilise the pool and playground. The location is fantastic for a family holiday being next door to the Lake Pertobe precinct, however next time I would spend a few extra dollars (or not even necessary) and stay somewhere a little more comfortable and of better standard.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
DiscoveryHolidayPark, Manager at Discovery Holiday Parks Warrnambool, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We value all feedback both positive and negative and are always striving to improve on the products and services we provide to our guests. Should you like to discuss any particular aspect of your stay with us please feel free to contact us direct on customerfeedback@discoveryparks.com.au

Been to Discovery Holiday Parks Warrnambool? Share your experiences!