“amazing food, good service - but we came early!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Estes Park, Colorado
“amazing food, good service - but we came early!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I know people have had service problems at I Carusi II. But I love the food! So we went early (they open at 6 pm) and had the place to ourselves. The pizza is amazing - delicous dough base with super fresh toppings. We also had side salads, and as mine was put in front of me, I could smell the ripe tomatoes and cucumbers. It was a wonderful experience. Service was good, but as I said, we were the only customers. By the time we left, the place had filled up and the take-out area was completely packed. This really is my favorite place for pizza in all of Australia, but go early to avoid the problems with the service.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne, Australia
“Italian pizza, Australian prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

I Carusi is rightly famed for its pizza; they offer the wood-fired real-deal, Italian style, and it's very good. Thin, slightly charred bases with fresh ingredients, plus some lovely dessert pizzas to boot. Of the authentic Italian-style pizzerias in Melbourne, they are my second favourite restaurant behind Portone in Balaclava; fairly high prices, hit and miss service and slightly less satisfying dough account for that, but by all means, if you want good pizza, you'll find it here.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great pizzas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

The food here is really delicious and reasonably priced. My only complaint is that it can get quite loud in the restaurant but that shouldn't keep you away.

Visited May 2012
“Pizza pizza pizza”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Like Italian I am looking for a good pizza and I carusi II was the first decent pizza I've met here in Oz. the problem is how they cook the pizza, they use a old way than you have to wait 15min to cook your pizza, plus other order you wait for your pizza almost one hour, it's insane

Visited December 2011
Melbourne, Australia
“Worst service I have had in years”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I went here on a Friday night recently, and left over an hour later without a bite of food eaten and having been argued with by the waitress. We waited for pizzas that never came, were blamed for the mix-up and told to take what was on offer. Takeaway customers are a far bigger priority and treated better.

The restaurant was half full when we were seated around 7.45pm. Two of us ordered a pizza each – both verbally and by pointing to the pizzas on menu. I had high hopes as the pizza smelt and looked pretty good.

For at least 30 minutes not one pizza that left the wood-fired oven was served in the dining area. They were all going to pleased-looking takeaway customers. Every table had to ask after their food. There were at least 3 waitresses hanging about and not updating any customers on delays. People were straining their necks to try and see into the kitchen area if any food was coming. The next table of four consumed 2-3 drinks each in the time they waited for their food. I drank a glass of Chianti which was below average, almost sour.

When we asked our original waitress (who was Irish) about our food, the waitress had an curt and annoyed tone and said “What do you expect?! It’s Friday night?!” Her response was unnecessarily scornful. Ten minutes later another waitress (Italian accented) came up and let us know the pizzas were soon coming. So we relaxed a little and waited.

Out came a pizza with pumpkin, goat’s cheese and fresh rocket strewn over the top. It was nothing like what either of us would ever order anywhere.
We let our waitress (Irish one) know and she looked confused and then got annoyed and told us this was exactly what we ordered: ‘Pizza for a friend’. What I had in fact ordered was the ‘Alla moda di Mario’. Same with the pizza my companion had ordered the ‘Napoletana.’
Next thing, out comes the pizza I had ordered but covered in extra items that belonged on my companion’s vegetarian Napoletana pizza – including eggplant and olives which I do not eat.

After we let her know, the waitress got infuriated and told us these 2 pizzas were “exactly” what we had ordered. She kept insisting, and for ‘proof’ showed us a printed receipt with our ‘orders’ and said “see, this is what I put down” and we said “you have put that down, but it is wrong, it is a mistake. We wouldn’t eat these.”

We reminded her that we had actually discussed the pizzas with her at the time of ordering in detail and pointed to them as well. She tried to fob the wrong pizzas on us, and said “well just take this, eat this.” We told her that my companion was vegetarian and we couldn’t east them, so she just offered some warmed bread and a few salad leaves in dressing.

We were concerned that she was arguing and not trying to just quickly sort her mistake with the kitchen, and that it had now been one hour. So we told her this in a concerned yet fairly calm manner – her response was to shout at us loudly. By now, the whole restaurant including diners and the kitchen staff were watching. She was very indiscreet, and yelled “I’m trying to fix this!!” She totally lost it, we were shocked.

After a long talk with another waitress (the Italian one) we asked that they please remake the pizzas as soon as possible (what should have been offered in the first place), however we’d seen the manager and kitchen staff listen and stare to the last part of the conversation. We were worried what would happen to our meals, and felt extremely uncomfortable after the waitress had caused a huge scene, so we just left.

We got a local takeaway on the way home and ate dinner on our couch close to 10pm. We wasted two hours of our Friday night, including travel time.
TRULY. AWFUL. EXPERIENCE.