“Great pizzas” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #86 of 190 Restaurants in St Kilda
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: I Carusi ii opened on 2004 as an authentic Italian gourmet Pizzeria. It has added a second kitchen in 2013 enabling it to become an Osteria also serving all kinds of main dishes including home mage pasta's and lasagna's, steak, seafood, and a whole lot more.
“Great pizzas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

The food here is really delicious and reasonably priced. My only complaint is that it can get quite loud in the restaurant but that shouldn't keep you away.

Visited May 2012

“Pizza pizza pizza”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Like Italian I am looking for a good pizza and I carusi II was the first decent pizza I've met here in Oz. the problem is how they cook the pizza, they use a old way than you have to wait 15min to cook your pizza, plus other order you wait for your pizza almost one hour, it's insane

Visited December 2011
Melbourne, Australia
“Worst service I have had in years”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I went here on a Friday night recently, and left over an hour later without a bite of food eaten and having been argued with by the waitress. We waited for pizzas that never came, were blamed for the mix-up and told to take what was on offer. Takeaway customers are a far bigger priority and treated better.

The restaurant was half full when we were seated around 7.45pm. Two of us ordered a pizza each – both verbally and by pointing to the pizzas on menu. I had high hopes as the pizza smelt and looked pretty good.

For at least 30 minutes not one pizza that left the wood-fired oven was served in the dining area. They were all going to pleased-looking takeaway customers. Every table had to ask after their food. There were at least 3 waitresses hanging about and not updating any customers on delays. People were straining their necks to try and see into the kitchen area if any food was coming. The next table of four consumed 2-3 drinks each in the time they waited for their food. I drank a glass of Chianti which was below average, almost sour.

When we asked our original waitress (who was Irish) about our food, the waitress had an curt and annoyed tone and said “What do you expect?! It’s Friday night?!” Her response was unnecessarily scornful. Ten minutes later another waitress (Italian accented) came up and let us know the pizzas were soon coming. So we relaxed a little and waited.

Out came a pizza with pumpkin, goat’s cheese and fresh rocket strewn over the top. It was nothing like what either of us would ever order anywhere.
We let our waitress (Irish one) know and she looked confused and then got annoyed and told us this was exactly what we ordered: ‘Pizza for a friend’. What I had in fact ordered was the ‘Alla moda di Mario’. Same with the pizza my companion had ordered the ‘Napoletana.’
Next thing, out comes the pizza I had ordered but covered in extra items that belonged on my companion’s vegetarian Napoletana pizza – including eggplant and olives which I do not eat.

After we let her know, the waitress got infuriated and told us these 2 pizzas were “exactly” what we had ordered. She kept insisting, and for ‘proof’ showed us a printed receipt with our ‘orders’ and said “see, this is what I put down” and we said “you have put that down, but it is wrong, it is a mistake. We wouldn’t eat these.”

We reminded her that we had actually discussed the pizzas with her at the time of ordering in detail and pointed to them as well. She tried to fob the wrong pizzas on us, and said “well just take this, eat this.” We told her that my companion was vegetarian and we couldn’t east them, so she just offered some warmed bread and a few salad leaves in dressing.

We were concerned that she was arguing and not trying to just quickly sort her mistake with the kitchen, and that it had now been one hour. So we told her this in a concerned yet fairly calm manner – her response was to shout at us loudly. By now, the whole restaurant including diners and the kitchen staff were watching. She was very indiscreet, and yelled “I’m trying to fix this!!” She totally lost it, we were shocked.

After a long talk with another waitress (the Italian one) we asked that they please remake the pizzas as soon as possible (what should have been offered in the first place), however we’d seen the manager and kitchen staff listen and stare to the last part of the conversation. We were worried what would happen to our meals, and felt extremely uncomfortable after the waitress had caused a huge scene, so we just left.

We got a local takeaway on the way home and ate dinner on our couch close to 10pm. We wasted two hours of our Friday night, including travel time.
TRULY. AWFUL. EXPERIENCE.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bournemouth
“Poor service, redeemed by great food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

The food here is fantastic. The service Is unfortunately anything but which is such a shame. Tables were pretty much ignored. We had to get up and ask for refreshed beers and waters, to see the desert menu and for the bill.

If you come here, you'll love the food. Just don't expect anything from the waiting staff.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Best Pizza in St Kilda”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Simply the best pizza you can find in St Kilda. Traditional Italian style ..... thin crispy base .... fantastic simple topping combinations. I could eat these pizzas every night of the week. The restaurant is simple, often crowded, but a nice place to dine.

• Visited September 2011