This is a good backpacker hostel but if you're thinking about staying in one of the $100 ensuite rooms you might want to spend an extra $10 or $20 and stay in a real hotel.
The hostel is clean, the staff friendly, if not a little indifferent, and the beds very comfortable.
But the hostel is not "in the heart of St Kilda" as claimed on its website.
It is on a main road in heavy traffic surrounded by factory outlet retailers eg furniture fittings or mechanics stores
There are no decent retail outlets within a 10-15 minute walk, five dollar cab ride or tram trip (if you can wait a wee while). This can be particularly frustrating if you're hungry and it happens to rain in Melbourne.
Also, if you're thinking about taking your laptop don't bother.
Wireless internet was NOT available, despite appearing under the "facilities" list on the hostel's website and other advertising.
One of the staff said it had just broken.
I later found out from another staff member that the wireless service had been down since she started working there a month earlier.
Communal internet access, however, is available in the common area and it is pretty accessible and cheap.
Prepare to be frustrated by the intercom microphone in your room.
Being told in a loud crackly voice that trivia night starts in an hour might be good for some, but it isn't welcome when you're trying to sneak a private nap after long travel.
And being barred from taking ANY food or drink into your room is I guess acceptable for big dorm rooms with drunk young travellers.
But for a 30yo paying 100 bucks a night it's too authoratarian.
Again, this is a good quality youth hostel in a less than optimal location.
But a hotel it aint.
You might be better off paying a bit more for a hotel on St Kilda Beach, Acland St, Fitzroy St - some are the same price as Cooee, but only on off-peak week nights. Then they can go up to 110,120 or even 150 a night on Saturdays.
The surrounding asthetics make a big difference to your travel experience and you could end up saving the money on cabs anyway.
- Also Known As:
- Habitat Hq Hotel
- Habitat Hq Hotel St Kilda
- Habitat HQ St Kilda, Greater Melbourne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Habitat HQ is a Victorian Tourism "Hall Of Fame", award winning budget accommodation and backpacker hostel located in St Kilda, Melbourne. Options available from 4, 6, 8 & 10 bed dorms to private double and family rooms with en-suites. Free breakfast, free WiFi, large kitchen, lounge, TV room, outdoor courtyard, free secure car parking and 24 hour reception. We specialize in providing budget accommodation for international and domestic travellers and groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity, HostelWorld, Tingo, TripOnline SA, HostelBookers, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Habitat HQ reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.