“Fab” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BASE Backpackers St Kilda

Save Saved
You added BASE Backpackers St Kilda to your Saves list
BASE Backpackers St Kilda
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   17 Carlisle Street, St Kilda, Port Phillip, Victoria 3182, Australia   |
Luton
“Fab”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights and booked a double ensuite. the room was very spacious, the bathroom was big and we had a balcony which was a bonus. Being on the 3rd floor we didn't hear any noise from the bar or road. the hostel itself was very modern and the bar was good fun. great location in St Kilda and a short ride on the tram to the city centre. I'd stay here again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Macclesfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

My husband and I stayed here on our first night in Melbourne which coincided with the end of the Melbourne Cup so all the hotels were double the price. We'd both been travelling while at university and stayed in youth hostels then so wanted to relive those experiences too. We'd booked a private room which had a double bed and ensuite - it was small but clean. We went to the bar in the evening which was full and very lively so no need for you to venture further although there are plenty of nice restaurants and bars in St Kilda - the main street was only a few minutes walk away. However, we wanted to go to bed before the bar closed so it was still quite noisy plus our room was on the road side so there was quite a lot of traffic noise. Luckily the hostel provide earplugs in your room and these were much needed in order to get a decent night's sleep! We also used the luggage lockers at the hostel to store our bags until we were able to check into our hotel for the rest of our stay in Melbourne. Overall, it was good value for money but I think one night was long enough for those of us not as young as we used to be!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Hamilton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

Really trendy nice bar downstairs, really clean rooms.
Had probs with the lifts, but a very nice place to stay clse to the city.

Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Bangalore, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

Excellent location but a very ordinary place to stay. Our room was very clean and tidy but barely had place to walk after our luggage. The attached bathroom again was realy small. The location is very good though with the nearest tram station just a few mins walk away and the nearby Ackland street full of action and lots of eating options. The scary canary bar is a decent place to catch a mug of beer before retiring into your room.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

I found Base to be more of a "corporate" hostel, as opposed to offering helpful, flexible customer service. For example, during my three day stay, I asked if they loaned or rented alarm clocks out since mine had just broken two days before the end of my trip, and they offered to loan me one as long as I left my ID card (not a great option since I can't afford to have it misplaced or left) OR left $50 with them. Also not a terrific option. I ended up electing to just go buy one for $15 or $20.

Another example - the hostel advertises free airport transfers on their website, but they actually only offer free transfer TO the hostel from the airport. You're on your own for the return trip to the airport.

I stayed in the girls' Sanctuary on the top floor. It was blessedly far removed from the lobby, which turns into a full-on bar in the evenings. I don't think they allowed smoking inside the building, but it didn't matter since the sliding glass doors frequently open, allowing all the cigarette smoke being generated two feet from the entrance to drift inside constantly. I am not sure it would smell worse if they allowed smoking directly inside the lobby.

They also served alcohol and had bar games (pool, karaoke, etc) in the lobby at night. A proportion of the guests seemed to like this benefit, but I would rather have a quiet hotel lobby without the smoke. The lobby is where all the computers are situated. There are plenty of them, and they were fast. But it was rather unpleasant to use them amidst the smoke in the evening.

The Sanctuary rooms were okay - a little shabby given my expectations about the "sanctuary" but adequate. The first storage drawer I was going to use had something sticky and liquid spilled in it, so I switched drawers. There were 6 people/beds in my room and no personal lights at the bedside, so I was both on the 'turning the lights on to get ready for bed/ready for the day while everyone else was asleep' side of things AND the 'having the lights turned on while I was asleep at night/in the morning' side of things. Personal bedside lights would go a long way.

The bathroom was fine and clean, though since each room (with 6 girls) shared an attached bathroom (there were no communal baths in the halls that I could find), there was some coordinating to be done as far as schedules.

So that covers the rooms, the bathroom, the lobby, computers, front desk. There was also a tour-booking desk right in the lobby, which was convenient but also a bit corporate. I felt a little like I was hustled every time I interacted with the front desk/tour staff.

However - the big plus of this place was the location. It is not in downtown Melbourne, if that's important to you, but the tram ride into town was very quick and the trams ran often. I never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes for one to come (and that was when I was downtown coming back), and more often it was a 1-2 minute wait. But St. Kilda is adorable and charming. There are lots of small restaurants and bakeries, plus plenty of little shops. It's a true neighborhood, so there are lots of dogs walking on leashes too, if you're into animals like I am. Plus, you're close to the beach and the boardwalk, which is lovely.

I would definitely stay in St. Kilda again, but I do not recommend this hostel unless you're in college and into bars. Because that's basically the lobby scene after 5pm.

• Liked — Location - St. Kilda is the best!
  • Disliked — Horrible cigarette smoke problem in bar-like lobby after 5pm
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

We stayed at Base in St. Kilda for four nights during our recent trip to Melbourne. It is a big modern hostel with a large reception area/common area and bar. We stayed in an ensuite double which was very spacious and clean. The shower was also very good. Each floor is secured by the use of key cards. These we used in the lift to gain access to your assigned floor.
The hostel is well located close to St. Kilda beach, restaurants and shops.
This is a good value and clean option in St Kilda. We even availed of the free BBQ!

• Liked — Clean room, spacious bathroom
  • Disliked — Kitchen a little cramped and not to clean
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BASE Backpackers St Kilda? Share your experiences!