“Terrible hostel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BASE Backpackers St Kilda

You added BASE Backpackers St Kilda to your Saves list
BASE Backpackers St Kilda
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   17 Carlisle Street, St Kilda, Port Phillip, Victoria 3182, Australia   |
“Terrible hostel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Worst hostel imaginable, staff are terrible and absolutely oblivious to residents, shocking lack of manners and regard for paying customers, abusive language is the norm. Despite paying $40 a night we were treated like we were in the way of staff. Terrible vibes for such a cool place and set up. It really affected our stay.

• Stayed September 2013
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to leave us your online review. Unfortunately, handling a group of 8 guys in one dorm room who think they can throw parties all night and ignore it when staff ask them to abide by the rules can make for a dicey situation.
We are sorry you guys had the impression that you could act however you chose when dealing with staff and being rude to other guests, but it is our job to make sure everyone follows the rules and are able to have a safe and enjoyable stay with us.
Understand that while out staff may have become rude, your group did receive 4 separate warnings for your poor behaviour, and most other hostels would have simply thrown you all out.

Perhaps, given how 'poor' you thought we were, it was funny that your group tried multiple times to extend with us despite the fact that we were full.

apologies for not being able to meet your expectations,
though I hope should you chose to stay with us in the future you will understand why we have the rules in place that we do,
Kind Regards,
BASE Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Never stay here, Worst hostel possible, load noise every night, bouncers were the most rude people I have ever dealt with, shocking, would not stay here again. Shocking lack of regard for guests, very expensive and no regard for guests

• Stayed September 2013

apologies for not being able to meet your expectations,
Kind Regards,
BASE Management
Cairns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed here a couple of months ago, awesome bar, great staff, room was very nice and came with free ear plugs! Never needed them, it wasn`t noisy even though I was staying close to the bar. Very helpful at the reception desk, good location. St Kilda is the place to be.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thanks so much for the positive feedback!

we really do work hard to get it all 'right' and it makes us feel awesome when a guest thinks we got it!

we can't wait to accommodate you again whenever you are back St Kilda way,

Warm Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I only stayed here for 4 nights and hated it. For $30 a night you would expect a better place. The kitchen was always dirty, i only remember the cleaner cleaning our room once and the beds were squeaky! The people i had in the room were great though so that was a bonus. The wifi was $4 a day and it was slow! Bar was expensive. If your looking for a party hostel then this the place for a couple of nights but there are better hostels about for a lot less.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Hi Dewi, and thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback!
I am sorry that the level of cleanliness was not up too scratch in this instance, but just so you know every single dorm room (as well as their ensuites) are serviced by housekeeping every single day.
Also, our guest kitchen is professionally cleaned 3 times a day every single day.
unfortunately it only takes a handful of messy guests to ruin our hard work for everyone, as has happened in this instance,

warm regards and safe travels,
Nagambie, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed here long term.. (a few months) Absolutely loved my time here. It is a party hostel so if that's what your looking for, it's a great place to be.
Rooms and bathrooms are clean. Kitchen is well equipped and has a lovely big TV and comfy sofas for chill out days! Staff are very friendly and helpful, including the staff at the travel desk. There's always something going on in the bar. Excellent place to meet people.
Close to everything, 2 min walk to trams.
Love love loved my time here :)

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter. Female dorms on the third floor are lovely and quiet!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Just so you know,
we loved HAVING you here!

thanks for choosing to make us your home when you were in St Kilda,
and if you ever make your way back here to Australia's best beach side suburb,
we hope you stay with us here again!

Warm regards,
Oelsnitz
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was going by the ratings on hostelworld when booking a night in this hostel. Unfortunately I hadn't checked tripadvisor this time. Fortunately I had only booked one night...lesson learnt from 7 months of travel.
This place is clearly a party hostel...so if you are one of those that get hammered every night, mess up the rooms, don't respect others sleep quality and even have sex in the rooms with others around...this is the place to go. I could tell you about my night there in detail, but I think your mind is creative enough to imagine it.
The value for money isn't great either...their dorm prices are rather high, they charge extra for Wifi and breakfast.
For everyone that values a good nights sleep and value for money...there are better places in Melbourne to go to.
There is one positive thing to mention...the ensuite bathrooms were nice and clean. The cleaners also did a great job cleaning up the room, which was the biggest mess that I had seen stepping into a room.
But overall I would say it was one of my worst stays throughout my trip and believe me I have stayed in crappy places, but not for 30 Dollars a night!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hi,
Sorry in this instance we were unable to meet your expectations as a property. Our all you can eat continental buffet breakfast served for 3 hours each morning at a cost of $5 is a much more complete offering which goes through till 11am every morning,
and our $12 weekly / $4 daily unlimited download wifi is a much faster service then that offered by hostels offering free wifi in the area.

regards and safe travels,
Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I booked a stay in this hostel due to the fact that I had stayed at the Base backpackers in Sydney, and they were helpful and nice, even upgrading my room for me when the people who was in my current room decided to have an all night party 2 nights running.
This hostel however, upon arrival seemed nice, but I was soon to learn that they only care about partying and gaining money. Don't get me wrong, I love to have a good night and drink, but the people here only seemed to care about the 'hot' and 'pretty' girls, giving them free drinks and top ups.
The kitchen was a mess, with signs saying that if you didn't clean up your mess then you would be kicked out... Clearly this rule wasn't enforced. The tv room was also part of the kitchen area, so when it was full you couldn't hear the sound at all.
I also found some of the staff to be extremely rude. I decided to book an extra 2 weeks as my flight home was from Melbourne, and they charged my card twice!! And when I confronted them about it they stated that it wasn't them who had taken it, it was the card machine and that I should go and speak to my bank!! I constantly asked them to sort it out, and only on the 3rd day did they actually check their transaction records to find out that they had taken the money twice!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to leave your valuable online feedback!

it seems in this instance we really did muck you around, by double charging your card!

our communal kitchen does get cleaned professionally 4 times a day, and have been working really hard to get that area up to scratch,

we do hope that if you give us another shot at exceeding your expectations we will!

all the best,
BASE Crew

Been to BASE Backpackers St Kilda? Share your experiences!