“Yum!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Sydney
“Yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

It was a Monday night but the place was full. I'm not a cheese-eater so I was a bit hesitant about going Mexican but I was also intrigued. We thought we'd give it a go and were really lucky that a table became available just as we were asking. The menu was quite different, in fact, I think only one or two dishes involved cheese. The highlights were the braised pork belly and the jicama (which was so refreshing). There is a real buzz. Fun and yum!

• Visited April 2013

Melbourne, Australia
“Funky Mexican In The Heart of St Kilda”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Well this was a nice surprise for lunch today.

As we walked in there was funky music playing and the atmosphere was one of casual cool.....definitely a good start.

Straight to the drinks menu and we started with a mojito each and it didn't disappoint.

Basically the menu is like Mexican tapas, with many smaller dishes designed to share. For lunch the only things on the menu that are not available are the Pinchos.

We started with the Costra de Carnitas which is a corn taco with a cheese crust topped with spicy pork. It worked a treat with the mojito.

As did our second selection which was a potato and chorizo Quesadilla. We also chose a taco each; mine was the Cochinita Pibil, which was slow cooked, free range pork, red onion, salsa and jalapenos pickles. It was great. My wife went for the Pollo, which was bbq chicken, lettuce and avocado salsa.

The dish of the day was a warm salad accompaniment called Frijoles Con Aguacate y Elote. It was black bean frijole topped with queso fresco, avocado and corn.....really cracking.

There is a vast array of quality Tequilas including Ocho to Partida, Corralejo and Patron, as well as some I'd never seen before. here are also boutique beer and decent wines by the glass.

If you fancy a funky and casual lunch, pop into this little gem. The staff are pretty cool, the music is up and it exudes a nice element of cool. We will be trying it for dinner soon enough, so as to sample the Pinchos.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne
“Good flavours, great lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We headed here for lunch knowing that you need to queue for dinners and we wanted to test it out. We really enjoyed it. We had a mojito- nice, a taco each-yum, quesadillas - pretty good, a pork costra -good as well, and a great frijoles salad- the stand out. A glass of Chardonnay as well and we had a good lunch. Service was up and friendly. Would go back.

Visited May 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“more expensive than I would have expected...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We tried eating at Radio Mexico on a Friday night and got knocked back (quite rightly - it was packed!).

So we went for lunch today.
Firstly - I was surprised by how accommodating they were for our toddlers. Colouring pages, crayons and a kids menu. I was also pleasantly surprised when the chef offered to cut the corn on the cob in half as he didn't notice that there was two kids. That's special service.

The food is good. It's not the best mexican I've had in Melbourne but it's pretty damn good. The chicken and pork tacos particularly are worth a try. I like the mexican tapas concept as well.

I was really surprised by how expensive it gets to be though. Like $20 for a margarita?
Service in general was a bit hit & miss and it did take a long time for our food to come out and to be honest it wasn't particularly busy but there was only person working in the kitchen.

So I enjoyed it - good food, wasn't really impressed with the service. I'm happy we went but not sure if I would go back to be honest.

London, United Kingdom
“Fresh tasty Mexican, good atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Good Mexican food and great atmosphere. Enjoyed the prawn pozole and BBQ chicken tacos.

Very sociable place to go with friends. Book early as very popular

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere