“30th wedding anniversary dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“30th wedding anniversary dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Something special was required, so down to an old favorite ( hadn't been there for ten years)
Not disappointed, when booking requested the best table, and same was provided with pleasure
Wined and dined with oysters ( what else on an anniversary night???)
The duck and fish very enjoyable, as was the ambience
The whole evening lovely for a special night.
Parking over the road is obscenely expensive...shame on you St Kilda Council ( or whatever you are called)
Highly recommended.

Visited May 2013

Melbourne
“Iconic seaside restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Talk about location... this venue is one of the rare beachside cafe / restaurants in Melbourne and is located on prime real estate in St Kilda. Both downstairs (cafe) and upstairs (restaurant) ooze cool and the energy of both spaces demand respect.

I found the service upstairs challenging, they were professional but maybe a bit French in their way with remarks that created awkward moments.

The food is classic Australia fare with some fish, steak and vegetarian dishes etc. I made a horrible mistake and ordered the beer battered flathead which for $35 felt like I'd overpaid for basic fish and chips, which is arguable true for any upmarket restaurant that serves a similar dish.

The views are amazing, either the glass windows or possibly floors create an echo which gives you a very vibrant and noisy room. If you like quiet fine dining this is not the place.

Desserts were interesting, none of the usual so we tried them all and found them extremely tasty.

Overall my expectations were a bit high and I'm in no rush to go back, there are so many good restaurants in Melbourne I don't want an enjoyable lunch to feel like hard work, as it was at Stokehouse.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent Restaurant Beautiful View!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We went to this beautiful restaurant for my sister-in-laws birthday. The staff were simply fantastic. I was 8 weeks pregnant at the time and have a few allergies. Our waiter was very accommodating and check everything with me before it was served. They even made me a special mocktail as I wasn't able to drink.
I ordered the Spanner crab and diamond clam risotto, pancetta, peas, almonds and my husband ordered the fish special. Both were delicious. There were absolutely no complains from our table.
The decor and views were amazing and we actually comments saying it would be a great venue for a wedding.
Would love to go back again!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Lunch with friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Called into the stoke house without a booking, even though they were busy were helpful and fitted us in. The views were excellent and the food outstanding service was great .

Visited February 2013
Shellharbour, Australia
“WOW, amazing, brilliant..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We visited this one on a whim. Not knowing much about it, having being recommended by a friend, we gave it a go and I'm so very pleased we did. I can't talk about the view as we had dinner on a chilly Melbourne night.
The food though - outstanding. I started with the risotto of green beans and ham hock emulsion and gorgonzola cheese. It was al dente, hot, flavoursome and for an entrée size quite large. When I finished I wanted to use the hot bread to soak all the flavours left on the plate.. My husband had the special - tuna steak, cooked rare. Perfect. He loved the was they just seared one side of the tuna.
Main Meal - I ventured into the vegetarian section and had a sformata - wrapped in eggplant and served with goats cheese and macadamia nuts. Out of this world. The flavours were amazing. Again a large meal and I had trouble finishing it, but I wish I could go back now and have the same meal for dinner tonight.
My husband ordered their snapper special and was disappointed. He thought it lacked a little flavour and after tasting my dish he was very disappointed.
We ordered a side of rocket and cabbage and I don't think we needed it.

We had no room for dessert. The staff were exceptional. They took time to speak and were very obliging. Thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant, food and service - exceptional.

• Visited May 2013