“FINE FRENCH DINING” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Geelong, Australia
“FINE FRENCH DINING”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This restaurant serves authentic French Cuisine and is located overlooking Geelong's fabulous Waterfront. Ideal setting for a special occasion. Staff are always well presented and knowledgeable about the menu, the service is what you would expect in a fine dining restaurant. The casualness of the dress code is noticeable but it doesn't distract from the ambience created. The food is very good but the menu needs to be changed more often.

Visited January 2013

Templestowe, Australia
“Completely satisfying first experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I feel compelled to write this review in complete contradiction of the most recent reviews by others. Saturday 12th January 2013 was a significant day in my life. My wife and I were spending an overnight stay in Geelong so we booked for dinner at Le Parisien. I had read the reviews by others and almost had second thoughts. Thankfully, I chose to ignore these and went. To say that the setting is simply stunning is an understatement. We were promptly taken to probably the best table location in the whole place. Friendly and 100% attentive service from the staff combined with completely balanced timing for delivery of the entree and mains together with timely topping of the wine left me wondering how could you not be impressed? The food was superb. Expensive? Yes, but not for what was delivered together with total sevice from their wait staff. Overall, I left highly impressed with the entirely satisfying evening.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I did like the decor, very opulent and a lot of character (wooden beams, candelabras over flowed with wax from previous melted candles,history of the restaurant famous clientele as you walk up the flight of stairs, large white linen tables and a huge flower display) but at the end of the day- if I get bad service....It fails automatically. To top that off, the food was bad.... all I can remember was lots and lots of tasteless cream...

I'm a firm believer on you pay for what you get but I felt ripped off...

Visited April 2012
“"Christmas Lunch disappointment".”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We decided to book Christmas lunch at Le Parisien as we have dined here before and enjoyed the meals. Considering it was Christmas Day one would expect something a little special. Upon arrival we found the ambience quite ordinary without even a Christmas decoration let alone a Christmas tree. The Service was very ordinary: We were offered a drink without the drink menu before we even sat down and we were not offered another drink until desert by the young inexperienced waiters who lacked communication skills as they dropped the plates on our table and snuck away as if to elude any eye contact and service (clearly cheap labour hire for the day). We selected the prawn cocktail for the entree which was bland and not de-veined. The ham and turkey of the main course was too salty and not very tender. More than one piece of the potato and pumpkin would have been appreciated. For $130.00 per head on Christmas Day without even a glass of champagne or a coffee included, was unacceptable. On a previous Christmas Lunch we journeyed to the 'Sky High' in Mt Dandenong. It was well worth the drive and our expectations were exceeded on a memorable occasion with a full smorgasbord that was mouthwatering which even came at a better price per head. Le Parisien you have 'Cashed In For Christmas'. We will not be back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Geelong, Australia
“Nice meal let down by inexperienced junior staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have been dining here for over a decade. Today the food was up to scratch but the overall experience was a let down because of a few simple things.

I read a recent review of Le Parisien where the customer complained about the high prices and that in Melbourne you can expect more for your money. I don't have a problem with the prices here. However, if you charge a premium price there, you expect a certain minimum of service.

I ordered a bottle of mineral water which arrived but without a glass. I ended up using a wine glass. I don't mind pouring my own drinks but these are the subtle things that set a premium restaurant apart.

The amuse-bouche was nice.

A side plate with a butter knife suggest to me the possibility of bread, or at least the offer of bread. Otherwise they are just taking up space on the table. Although there are bread dishes such as garlic bread and bruschetta available from the menu, I generally expect a selection of fresh local breads to be brought around to choose from.

Oysters were lovely and fresh.

Calamari salad was very nice.

The local mussels in the moules marinières were yummy, but on the service side, a soup spoon and some crusty bread would not have gone astray (except they did). I could have asked for them if the staff had been more attentive. Here is where you expect the waiter to unobtrusively enquire "Is everything to your satisfaction?" rather than trying to elicit a yes from a "I hope everything was to your satisfaction" after your meal is well and truly finished and they have been nowhere in sight for half an hour.

Once the waiter has established that you dont want coffee or dessert and that you dont want anything else. I expect the bill to arrive. Not have to wait 30 mins to then be asked if I would like the bill. I told the waiter that had been waiting for the bill anyway, it was then brought out. I promptly provided my card only to be ignored again. The waiter came out again five minutes after I had provided my card and served someone else and failed to check if my card was ready to collect. The guy was polite enough but just seemed to lack experience, which I am sure he will soon pick up - along with a bit of French.

If you are going to list all the dishes in French first, the waiter should be able to recognise your order if you ask for it the way the restaurant presents it.

The senior staff were professional as always.

You cant fault the location (see photos)

• Visited December 2012