“Quick Stopover” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Geelong
Melbourne
“Quick Stopover”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stopped off in Geelong for the night, before starting the Great Ocean Road journey. This motel was just fine. The room was small but modern and clean, and close to the beach and the town. Unfortunately, we had a ground floor room adjacent to the kitchen of the Fishbowl Restaurant. There was a lot of noise and crashing of pots and pans until about 11 p.m. Apart from this, it was a pleasant, comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the restaurant kitchen.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The room was old, but very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The location was quiet, and heard no noise at night. The location was walking distance to shops. they had a great eat spot next door, so that was perfect. Would stay there again, and being upgraded to the deluxe room was perfect for us. the view was great. did try Foxtel and it would not work, so this i did not follow up, as we were only staying one night.

Room Tip: Deluxe room with a view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here after taking my daughter down to her university in Geelong and simply wanted somewhere to lay our heads. That's what we got. The room was clean but had the World's noisiest air conditioner/heater which wasn't installed very well and had gaps around it through which frigid gales coursed through meaning you either had to rug-up under the doona or wear ear-plugs to stave off the noise.

Even if you did choose the freezing option the noise of drunken revelry and olympic standard boganism exhibited by some of the other guests was, while moderately amusing, also more than a bit tiresome.

As others have observed staff were conspicuous by their absence in the morning, unlike the two delightful, matching, pools of pink vomit outside the office! Outstanding!

We travel a lot. We've stayed at many worse places and there was nothing really wrong with the room itself or it's level of cleanliness but the heater was a bore and the screeching pest-fest was tiresome. I think we'll try somewhere else next time....

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I picked this hotel as it was only a 100m walk to my appointment the next day. This hotel is 400m from the bay and a 100m from the centre of Geelong. The greeting at made you feel very welcomed and the check-in process was painless.

I booked a Deluxe Bay View Room and found the accommodation more than adequate for my needs with a very comfortable bed and a window that opened so that I could have fresh air rather than air con if I chose. The room also had a microwave plus tea/coffee making facilities.

My dinner at the in-house restaurant the "Fish Bowl" was absolutely 5 Star and one of the best I have had anywhere. It also has a great selection of local wines some of which you can buy by the glass. As a staying guest at the hotel, I was also given a 25% discount on the total bill.

The only down side is that you need to carry bags up external stairs which was fine for me however could be a problem if not so mobile.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel if travelling to Geelong.

Room Tip: The Bay View Rooms give you a glimpse of the Bay past the trees and the Ferris Wheel is very colourf...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We paid for a Deluxe Bay View room but got a carpark with sound effects from a nearby building site thrown in. Never saw the staff to complain about the wrong room as they didn't seem to actually work there, ever! Also there is no Foxtel. False advertising and non existent service. Cleaners were all very friendly though.

Room Tip: A backpackers would offer a better night's sleep at a fraction of the cost.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

This was our first stay at the Comfort Inn Eastern Sands Motel. It was a last minute decison to spend the night in Geelong, and as my preferred accommodation places were booked out. I thought I would try the Comfort Inn Eastern Sands. As a Choice Privileges member I knew I could get points for this stay. The main thing in this motel's favour is its location. It is right on Eastern Beach, close to many of Geelong's shops, restaurants and other attractions. For AFL fans Kardinia Park is roughly a 15-20 minute walk.
The rooms are advertised as being recently refurbished and I am reasonably certain the room we had, had been refubished. The room was clean and well provisioned with flat screen TV and dvd player, split system air conditioning, bar fridge, table and chairs, digital clock radio with inbuilt phone.
The bathroom despite being small was clean and I would say also recenlty refurbished.
The motel has its own restaurant. It also appears to have been recently refurbished along with the adjoining bar. The restaurant itself from what I could see, has a pleasant ambience about it for intending diners the same goes for the bar. Both are well lit although not overly bright and glarey. We didn't dine there as we felt it was a bit over priced, The same goes for the cost of the room. It cost us $215, had we have been able to get into my preferred accommodation the cost would have been approximately $40 less.
A particularly negative aspect of this motel is the noise. Our room was on the ground level and near the kitchen entrance. Up until 11pm we had to listen to people coming and going to the bar, bins being crashed around and people sitting outside at the rooms talking very loudly.
Would I recommend this motel?
It would possibly suit business people or couples staying for one or two nights. I don't consider the motel to be very family friendly as there is no pool or playground.
I would only stay here again if I was unable to access my preferred accommodation in the township of Geelong.

Room Tip: Rooms on level two are recommended for those who are light sleepers.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Warrnambool, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I have stayed at a lot of hotels and motels all over this country, and this motel is by far the worst I have ever had the misfortune of staying at.
The motel is very basic, but the worst thing is the absolutely filthy carpets. My son walked around barefoot for 2 mins and had jet black feet. I tested a random spot of the carpet by lightly rubbing some damp kitchen roll on the floor and it came up black as well.
When I went to complain in the morning, there was noone at reception and no members of staff anywhere. When a housekeeper eventually turned up, there was a line of 3 other customers wanting to complain. The housekeeper didn't know what to do, so I just handed my key a left.
How is a place like this still in business? AVOID

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, anywhere else!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Eastern Sands? Share your experiences!