“Wonderful olde world charm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Sovereign Hill

Save Saved
You added Comfort Inn Sovereign Hill to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Sovereign Hill
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   Magpie St, Ballarat, Victoria 3350, Australia (Formerly Sovereign Hill Lodge)   |
Ranked #13 of 35 hotels in Ballarat
Melbourne, Australia
“Wonderful olde world charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

We stayed in a Heritage room in Jul-08 & it cost $165 (£77) which imo is good value.

It was very easy to find following the signs to Sovereign Hill, it's just around the corner from the front gate.

I really liked the whole set up, the houses continued the feel of SH & wasn't just a generic hotel with cool rooms. To me it was a great introduction to the SH experience.

I must say though that except for learning the history behind it (which could be done though 5 min on the internet) I found "Blood on the southern cross" highly disappointing. I'm sure I'd loved it if I was 12 but as an adult with no kids in toe - snooooze.

The room was a pleasant surprise, it was big, I love the colours, the set up, the four poster bed (which was very comfy) - all lovely. I loved that the fridge, toaster etc was hidden.

The only thing I didn't like about the room was the appalling water pressure - by far the worst I've encountered in Australia.

It was a novel idea to have the breakfast in your room already & it suited us perfectly as we came in staving & had it as a very late lunch. We ordered an (almost) full English breakfast for lunch which came to our door exactly at the time we picked which was great.

It was a shame there was nowhere to eat there or to have a drink after a long drive. So we decided to ask the check-in staff & they were probably the least friendly I've encountered in Australia too - soul less & unhelpful. We were told that it was "impossible, as it was way too far to walk to town" which turned out to be untrue for a healthy adult as it took only 30min. It did surprise me though that for such a big tourist destination there were no pavements for the part of the walk nearest the hotel.

This makes it sound very negative but keep in mind I'm giving you background about the stay as a whole. I really liked the room & think it's great value.

& Sovereign Hill - well it's just fantastic.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

We booked a full package including a luxury double room at the park itself, after driving over from Belgrave. It was excellent value - entrance to the park for 2 days, the evening show, evening meal, room with continental breakfast and entrance to the gold museum across the road. Sovereign Hill itself was an absolute delight with so many interesting things to do and see; we loved the mine tour (small extra charge) and the gold smelting demonstration and we had our photo taken by the very obliging lady in the photographers who even managed to get the big fluffy cat to sit in on the photo with us! The photos were a very reasonable price and made good gifts for our mothers when we returned to the UK. The room was a good size and very clean with good bed linen and bathrobes. The continental breakfast was rather poor (overall it was somewhat bland and as it was in the fridge in the room from arrival didn't seem very fresh) but since the rest of the package was such good value we visited the excellent bakery in the high street and treated ourselves to croissants - delicious. The evening meal was very tasty and although I'm vegetarian and on check in they said there would be a veggie option they had nothing prepared but the chef immediately offered to cook me something, however, since there was a full roast dinner available I had everything bar the meat which was more than enough. The evening show was unusual and there is nothing else to do after that apart from go back to your room or visit the bar, but we just took advantage of an early night and had more time in the park the next day. Do visit if you get chance - it's a novel way to spend your time with all the staff in the park in period dress - fabulous.

• Liked — Novel and interesting
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

We (mother & teen daughter) had booked 1night but ended up staying 2 due to the great location.

Although it is a bit pricey compared to other accommodation in Ballarat, the convenience of being literally on the doorstep, makes it worth that little bit extra.

Everything you'd expect for a hotel of this standard. Room was big enough, very clean & comfy.

We were going to book the whole package offered but found we saved quite a bit by booking it seperately. ie, Room on Wotif, Show direct with Sovereign Hill, Dinner at a local eatery.

When we enquired about staying the 2nd night, our room was available but we were advised to go to the internet cafe in town and book through Wotif as it was $30 cheaper!! Thank you nameless hotel staff member.

A warning about the Blood on the Southern Cross show - most of it is outdoors and Melbourne nights can be cold (even in December). WEAR A JACKET !

• Liked — Proximity to Sovereign Hill attraction
  • Disliked — Package price was more xpensive than booking seperately
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
adelaide
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

We are a family of 4. We stayed overnight and had the dinner and show package. (costing around $443) The dinner was average, the breakfast below average. Didn't like the idea that the cutlery and crockery were set the day before on the breakfast tables and people were sitting at these tables the day before! The milk and orange juice were both long life. (isn't that difficult to provide fresh stuff!) The tours and rides were additional charges. With drinks and additional tours costing an additional $70. We found it expensive for a stay of less than 24 hours.
The night show is good, but it would be better value to eat and stay elsewhere!

• Disliked — better value for money available
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

I stayed one night at Sovereign Hill travelling from Adelaide to Melbourne.
I arrived in the late afternoon & just had time to drop off my bag before leaving for the Blood on the Southern Cross experience. You might want to double check the time of your evening meal. The meal was superb & included the tastiest lamb I had ever eaten & the whole evening was a real treat.
The room was lovely with 1 double/1 single bed, fridge, toaster, kettle, clock radio, plasma TV, & dining table/chairs. The bathroom was spotless but had only a shower-no bath.
All the items to prepare your own breakfast were provided.
The check out was early (10 am) but you can store your bags & "do" Sovereign Hill at your leisure.
I arrived by bus & the driver very kindly told me the best stop to use if you are going to the lodge (it was not the main entrance) & the place is pretty much geared up to people arriving by car.

• Liked — The gold rush town & blood on the southern cross evening
  • Disliked — early check out, not very convenient for public transport
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

I live in Melbourne about a four-hour drive from Sovereign Hill and when we visit we usually drive home again after the Blood on the Southern Cross Show.

Staying in this hotel is definitely worth the money! I would never drive home again. The hotel is comfortable, clean and is really nice. It's also a bit of fun too with all the furniture and decorations cleverly resembling the 1800's - although its much more modern. (Especially the super comfortable four-poster bed!) It also fun waking up and being first in the rest of Sovereign Hill in the morning.

A must stay if you want the full Sovereign Hill experience!

Stayed July 2007
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

We are an American family of 4 (2 adults and 2 boys; 6 yrs & 8 yrs). We choose to spend time at Sovereign Hill as it offered a unique experience as well as a thumbnail view of Australian History. Our oldest son read a book on the Australian gold rush prior to visiting which gave him a foundation to his experiences at the park. We arrived in the early evening just as the park was closing to the public and got set up in a nice accommodation. We purchased the dinner and evening show which I would recommend doing if you have the time. We participated in this prior to attending the park which I would also recommend especially to foreign travelers who are not aware of the story behind Sovereign Hill.

The park was unique experience and offered something for all ages. Our boys enjoyed the gold panning, gold smelting, and walking in the tunnels of the mines. My husband enjoyed watching the demonstration of the old tools and I would have to say my favorite part of this attraction was observing the students participate in the reenactments.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this attraction to anyone traveling to the Victoria/Melbourne area.

Been to Comfort Inn Sovereign Hill? Share your experiences!