“Good for the kids” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Sovereign Hill

You added Comfort Inn Sovereign Hill to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Sovereign Hill
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   Magpie St, Ballarat, Victoria 3350, Australia (Formerly Sovereign Hill Lodge)   |
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Ballarat
Brisbane Australia
“Good for the kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed at Comfort Inn during the first week of October. Mixed reviews about this one. Stayed with a sporting group who had travelled to Ballarat for the week. The girls stayed in the bunkrooms, and my husband and I had a room in the residences. Comfort Inn is Right next to Sovereign Hill so very convenient if you are staying with the intention of visiting there. Our Room was large enough and bed was comfortable.

Breakfast was a strange affair, were told we had to arrive at a certain time slot for breakfast and you could not just come without a booking. When i tried to change the time for breakfast one day was told not possible although the dining room was clearly nearly empty. Breakfast was buffet style but not what i would call plentiful, and the options did not change over the week we were there.

The girls in our sporting team stayed in the bunkrooms which were comfortable enough. When we booked were told we would have accommodations with kitchenette, but when we arrived found that they were in the middle of renovations and no facilities for giving our team breakfast were on offer. A little annoying I guess seeing this was the reason this venue was chosen for our stay, and no offer of using the breakfast room was forthcoming.

Would recommend with reservations, i think now that the reno is finished hopefully they will be getting back to some normalcy.

Room Tip: The residences are very comfortable
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
sovereignhill, Manager at Comfort Inn Sovereign Hill, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.
We are sorry the breakfast did not meet your expectations particularly with regards to the breakfast times. We have only just recently finished the refurbishment and started offering the full breakfast in the La Trobe Room. We do prefer to assign guests a time due to the capacity of the room to ensure everyone has a relaxed and enjoyable breakfast. However it sounds like on this occasion it may have been a glitch in the booking process for your group and we apologize for the mix-up.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Staff couldnt do enough for us, right from the start with phone enquiry thru to check out. Room was clean and cosy. Only downfall was the chairs were a bit on the small side and not all that comfortable. Was fantastic with Sovereign Hill readily accessible from the Hotel, which was the primary reason we chose it and loved the way they have tried to maintain the atmosphere of days goneby
Would definetly stay there again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the great feedback - it really is appreciated, particularly you acknowledgement of the staff. We will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I highly recommend Comfort Inn for anyone staying in Ballarat. When making the booking the manager was extremely helpful and organised the perfect accommodation for my famy of 4. The location was supurb with Soverign Hill literally at our doorstep. When checking in the staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. The accomodation was great, fresh clean and contempory. We had 2 adjoining rooms which was perfect for a family with 2 kids. The bathrooms were lovely and clean. Breakfast was sensational, loved the new upgrade of design and the buffet menu was delicious and modern with a twist of old school charm. The only dissapointment I had was realising I had left my toiletries (shampoo and moisturiser etc) the same day as checking out, I contacted the staff to follow up and some how have them returned to me but no one contacted me. :-(
Overall a wonderful stay for young and old.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for the great feedback, in particular the "perfect accommodation". The popular adjoining family rooms enable the parents to have a little privacy and quiet down-time after a busy day in Sovereign Hill. And the easy access to Sovereign Hill is a huge plus.
I apologize no-one got back to you regarding the toilettries you left behind.

Hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We had the whole experience with a night in the museum and enjoyed it all thoroughly. A trip back in time but with all the modern conveniences in our accommodation at Comfort Inn. Just perfect.
We found the staff at Comfort Inn very helpful and attentive to our needs. Breakfast in the dining room adequate and comfortable and we enjoyed the experience immensely.
It is just so convenient with ready access to Sovereign Hill and all it has to offer.
I had been to Sovereign Hill some years ago and stayed at the Comfort Inn and since then harboured the fond hope that I would be able to return with my wife this time (we live in Brisbane, Queensland). So for some time I have been going on about how good it was and how much she would enjoy it too. I really did not have any doubt that our visit together this time would live up to my rave reviews. Well the whole experience lived up to and in fact exceeded my expectations. My wife thoroughly enjoyed the experience and for both of us it was so much the better because we enjoyed it together. Now we will be recommending this experience to all our extended family and friends.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed one night for a wedding reception - accommodation was full and the four of us stayed in a room with 2 bunks and double bed. Was clean and cosy, breakfast included which was excellent ! Having a wedding in Sovereign Hill was very cool !. On arrival reception was lovely, plenty of parking etc. Only downer was between the wedding and the reception we were unable to obtain a cool drink unless we went to town - after the guys got some takeways our thirst was dealt with and we headed to the reception which was magic !. A great stay !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
sovereignhill, Manager at Comfort Inn Sovereign Hill, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Thank you for the great feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed the accommodation - although we might add that we are about tom commence a refurbishment of the wing you stayed in so when you next return you can experience a much improved standard. Great to hear also the breakfast in the La Trobe dining room was excellent. With regards to the bar, we have only just completed a full refurbishment of our reception and lounge area including the new dining room however we have not re-opened our bar service as yet. This service will however be available again very soon.

Echuca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Wasn't able to check- in to our room until 5 pm, which was a total inconvenience as we were attending a wedding reception on site and didn't have enough time to prepare.
Was met in reception by a cheery receptionist, given our door card for our " disabled room" and given brief directions to our room.
No parking which was rather stressful for partner in wheelchair trying to transfer from car to chair.
Couldn't find room as there are no numbers on ANY of the barn style buildings, after 35 mins and a trip back to reception I was informed that we needed to go through the dining room ( no mention of this when given directions)
Finally entered room to prepare for wedding and were welcomed with the foulest smell I have ever experienced( I actually had to run to bathroom to puke) .. With face washer over nose I discovered that off milk had been left in the fridge ( clearly for a lengthy period of time).
Had to exit the room immediately and attend wedding as we were.
Rang reception from my mobile 4 times to inform them and finally got through on the 5th call, reception told me they would have a cleaner there straight away to fix it.
Returned at 12pm, smell a little better but still foul ..
Room was beyond filthy, only a foam overlay on bed, no mattress.
Bunks are straight from the set of prisoner!!!!
4 star, not a chance, more like 2 at best.
Checked fridge again before we checked out, off milk still there... No apology.... Absolute disgrace that they can treat their guests the they do!!!! NEVER AGAIN !!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay. I have fully investigated your issues and spoken to the reception team to get a clear picture of what took place. Currently we have only the one "disabled room" which is inconveniently located some distance from the main reception in Canadian Barracks. I can imagine this alone must have caused you a great deal of stress - particularly as it appears from your feedback the directions may not have been clear enough. We have long recognized the need for improved accessible accommodation (previously termed disabled rooms) and within the next 3 months will embark on a major refurbishment in the Esmond Terrace wing into accessible accommodation. As well, we have already commenced a refurbishment of the Canadian Barracks accommodation wing which will resolve the wear & tear issues you experienced during your stay. With regards to the milk left in your fridge - we do apologies that our housekeeping staff failed on this occasion. The disabled room you had been assigned had been vacant for some time - hence the milk smell when you arrived. Once again please accept our apologies.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I booked online for one package deal for my family of 5 to stay at The Comfort Inn, visit Sovereign Hill and entry to the light and sound show. We arrived in freezing Ballarat as the rain began to fall, comfortable in the knowledge we had accommodation all set up. When I checked in I realised to my horror that I had booked for just two adults. The two women on reception were wonderful as they looked through accommodation options for us.

They came up with a great solution, and in the end the kids were provided with a separate room at a discounted rate and hubby and I had a room to ourselves for the night (a blessed change from the shared motel rooms we had experienced on the rest of our trip).

Breakfast in the morning was a very pleasant surprise. I had thought we were only going to get a continental breakfast because of the mix up, but we received the full cooked buffet breakfast option.

The Comfort Inn staff then worked out the best package for our family to enter Sovereign Hill and attend the light and sound show. All up, a great start to our stay in Ballarat.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
sovereignhill, Manager at Comfort Inn Sovereign Hill, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent visit to our property. It is always encouraging when you receive such feedback particularly when it highlights proactive staff responding positively to ensure your visit to Sovereign Hill was a memorable experience for all the RIGHT reasons.

We hope we can welcome you back again one day soon.

Manager

Been to Comfort Inn Sovereign Hill? Share your experiences!