“Need to clean up their act - literally!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bell Tower Inn

You added Bell Tower Inn to your Saves list
Bell Tower Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1845 Sturt St, Ballarat, Victoria 3350, Australia (Formerly Comfort Inn Bell Tower)   |
Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Ballarat
Melbourne, Australia
“Need to clean up their act - literally!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with a group over the weekend for 2 nights. Room was large & airy but cleaning was a real issue. There was mould in the shower grout & when we wiped some spilt water on the tiles in the kitchenette area, the tissue was black! The bedspread was old & completely frayed on the reverse side. The blankets looked grubby.
On the second day the room was not serviced until after lunch. Whatever they pay their housekeeping staff is too much. The bed was not made, just pulled up & the extra blanket we had used was tossed roughly over the end of the bed. There were still bread crumbs on the kitchen bench from breakfast & the dishes had clearly been washed in the bathroom basin as there was water splashed all over the bench leaving our wash bag sitting in water.
Reception & restaurant staff were very pleasant but would not stay there again due to cleanliness issues.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
acetog, Owner at Bell Tower Inn, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Hi Kerry,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell Tower Inn.
Your stay was prior to us taking over and we note everything you have mentioned.
It certainly isn't to our standard either and we are in the process of rectifying a lot of those issues.
We have already replaced bed quilts and put in new beds.
New cleaning staff have made a big difference and so has the quality control, whereby rooms are now set at a higher standard than previous.
We would invite you back to check out our improvements thus far.
Regards,
Andrew Cronin
Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed one night. A nice big and clean room.
The room was showing its age a bit, but nothing to really distract from our stay.Ballarat can be a bit cold at night so it was nice to see we had an electric blanket, and the heater worked well.
Check in was easy, the girl at the desk was quick, friendly and efficient.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Room size ok, beds ok, but carpet covered in dead petals that had blown in through the gap under the door. Shower grout was mouldy and many insects in the room. Reception staff very friendly and accommodating with organising an early breakfast (delivered to room the night before).

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Rosebud Victoria Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Bell Tower twice and a third stay is coming up in November 2013.
We have found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is great.
We would not return if we were not happy, but have always been very pleased with the service.
Cherie ( Rosebud Victoria )

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here as there was no other accommodation in Ballarat. We booked the 'deluxe spa suite' for $150 thinking it'd be a good room. It was old dirty and ugly. Built in 1960 with no improvements made since then. It was the worst motel I've we stayed in and I've stayed in $15 per night hotels in South East Asia. The lamps in the room did not match. There were marks all over the ceilings and walls. The carpet was old worn and revolting. Every single thing in the room was old, worn and disgusting. I ended up leaving because I was so appalled I paid $150 for such a dump. Don't stay here. I'd rather sleep in my at then this hell hole.

• Stayed October 2013
acetog, Owner at Bell Tower Inn, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Hi JoF1sh,
Thank you for reviewing the Bell Tower Inn.
Your stay was previous to us taking over, however, we welcome all feedback.
We are constantly improving the Bell Tower Inn and have made significant changes in the short period of time to lift the standard of the motel already.
Our improvements are ongoing and we would invite you back to check out our changes.
Regards,
Andrew Cronin
New Owner
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Our booking was made mid week and we advised we would be arriving around noon on arrival at 11.40 we were told in no certain terms our room wasn't ready due to being fully booked the night before. We left came back at 2.30 to pick up our key to be told room is ready we didn't want the room just the key as we are going out for dinner and didn't know what time we would be back. Came back to our room at 4.30pm to drop off luggage & freshen up our room was not cleaned. Went back to reception explained our room hasn't been cleaned on checking there was no other spa rooms available there was no offer of have a drink while we get your room clean or we will put you in a cleaned room as these people haven't shown up yet now we are on our way home weekend was ruined

• Stayed September 2013
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I (with a 5 week old baby) stayed in an executive double room for a two nights while he did hes apprentice training during the day, I found the nearest shopping center was ages away, which was okay... The room was very clean and alot better than I thought. The staff even lent me a microwave to heat bottles and I hired a porta-cot for $15, that was great. Reception was supposed to be open till 9:00..closed at 7:30 when I rang to enquire about the pool it was shut, also supposed to be open till 9:00 then I enquired about the gym for a key, she said 'meet me at reception in ten minutes' more like 20 minutes and came out in pajamas and stuck her head out the door, and said 'oh just keep it till the morning' lazy!!! I was also planning on having a room service dinner, but didn't want the staff's attitude about it so left it. None of the staff could be bothered VERY unprofessional. The gym was an old room emptied and had one treadmill, broken exercise bike and a broken walker and a flat yoga ball with a stuffed pump? . It was hideous to call that a gym.The room came with a beautiful spa, that I had to fill up with the kettle!!!! Took over an hour to fill as the tap just trickled water!! Very unhappy will not return!!!!!!! Not worth a cent, the only thing that made it good was my son being there.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool are nicer.