“Pierre's new menu is a treat!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 248 Restaurants in Launceston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Brasserie
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Pierre's has been operating for more than 50 Years and is a true Launceston Icon. With now 5 Consecutive Chefs Hats to its name ( AGFG ) it is the perfect place for Breakfast lunch or Dinner. Bookings Highly Recommended !
Launceston, Australia
“Pierre's new menu is a treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I confess I am a Pierre's regular, however the latest incarnation of their creative menu is fantastic! Last week I tried the pasta crab en papillote - absolutely delightful. The Duck a la orange is divine and an old favorite remains - Steak Tatare with cognac. Keep up the fabulous and friendly service, and of course the wonderful food!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“Touch of French culture in Launceston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

It was a big surprise to find French style cafe/brasserie in the middle of Launceston.

Food was quite nice; fresh oysters, soups and, particularly, pierre's steak tartare... Not a big fun of raw meat, but that steak tartare was quite delicious. The appearance and atmosphere like in a traditional French brasserie.

A bit expensive place and may not be suitable for a regular dinner, but we had a really good time and would visit Pierre when next time in the town.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane
“Second visit confirms good food, interesting aesthetics, but a touch expensive.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Started with a delightful 'french onion soup', followed up with a seafood hot-pot and finished with a cheeseboard selection of local delights. As a lunch venue, the atmosphere is casual and relaxed - unfortunately this also extends to the service (a little too casual at times). The food portions were barely adequate, but delightfully prepared: very tasty! The last Friday in June was not as much a buzz as the week before Christmas (my last visit) - but was an enjoyable occasion nonetheless.

Visited June 2013
Launceston, Australia
“Enjoy the experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Pierre's opened in 1956 and is the second oldest brasserie cafe in Australia. They installed the second only Italian expresso machine in Australia only hours after Pellegrinis in Melbourne had put theirs in. As a child in the early 70s my mother would take me there and I still enjoy going there to this day. In Launceston we have an abundance of good restaurants to choose from and Pierre's is near the top of the pack. The way they prepare their battered fish is second to none and it is always a beautiful meal. My wife and myself have never been disappointed with any visit we've had over the years. The place is simply delightful for lunch or dinner.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I arrived at 830 midweek, to a very unenthusiastic waitress who ignored me for a minute or two while she finished doing something else; even though she saw me there was no acknowledgment at all.
She told me that the kitchen closed at 830, she'd see if they'd let me in.
So she spoke to another staff member, presumably the manager, who approached and said " if I can get a main out of you fast you can come in". Excuse me? I guess I assumed that they were running a business and I was a customer. This was clearly incorrect and they were obviously doing me a favour in exchange for my money.
Really I ought to have pulled the pin there but, I was concerned that I wouldn't find anything else as it was so late (?).
I ordered a sparkling wine which lacked sparkle.
My entree was French onion soup, was average.. A few twigs from herbs needed to be pulled out as obviously they're inedible. At least it showed that it was house made. The cheese croutons were horrible and were also fished out.
I ordered the 'Crispy pork belly' main.... 'Crispy' was a misnomer. It was floppy and very fatty. Rather than the fat being rendered away, it was all still there and very little meat present. As a result, I had 3 or 4 mouthfuls of pork meat and left the rest. It was on a bed of mash but the mash was covered in a large amount of apple purée that tasted like baby food. Way too sweet. All very gluggy.
The side of vegetables were the only thing that were done properly.
I'm a business traveller and if I find a good place, in a town like this, I come back, and I refer others. Pay attention Pierre's. just because I'm a table for one. At the ungodly hour of 830pm, doesn't mean it's ok to do a bad job.
On a note about service, I had to ask for a serviette, ask for water and couldn't be bothered asking for salt and pepper because I was over it by then.
I'll be spending my $80-$100 somewhere else next time, and will caution all my colleagues against Pierre's.

• Visited June 2013