“One of the best restaurants in Launceston” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 230 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Launceston, Australia
“One of the best restaurants in Launceston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We went here for Chinese New Year. I took a guy from HongKong here and I have to say we both thought the food, ambiance and the service was stunning.
Cant quite comprehend some of the comments myself because its as authentic as it comes.
Establishments from Launceston could well do emulating the service such as this restaurant.... it was personal, quick, friendly and so professional.
The food was fantastic.
Judging by the amount of Chinese people eating here, it sends out a message "this place is good"!
Yes slightly pricey but I prefer to pay for quality. Managed to get a table fr a late sitting, goodness the rest of Launceston is usually tucked up in its bed by then!

Well done and thank you Danny, who has to be one of the best waiters I have come across.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stanley T, Manager at Me Wah Restaurant, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
On behalf of the team at the Me Wah Restaurant it has been our pleasure to have you and your guest at our establishment.

We look forward seeing you again in the near future.

Launceston, Australia
“Exceptional, I'm in love”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

It doesn't matter if it is a group of 2 or 10, food and service is always exceptional and most importantly consistently good. Special occasion or just a bite to eat, great value for money, food is outstanding. Really tasty wine list too. I'm in love.

Visited February 2014
Thank you D B for your review and the pleasure is all ours.

We look forward seeing you again in the near future!
Hong Kong, China
“Canned abalone, c'mon”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I would not have ordered abalone if I knew they served canned ones, no self respecting chinese restaurant would do that. I had reservation about the hygiene standards of this upmarket restaurant too … of the 16 days in tasmania eating all kinds of food i didn't have diarrhea except immediately after my dinner here at me wah. Luckily launceston was a pretty small town i was able to get back to the hotel in time. it's very nicely decorated, the waiters were pretty efficient and courteous, please do something about food and hygiene standards.

Dear Joseph G

We are regrettable to hear of your recent experience at the Me Wah Restaurant in Launceston.

Further to your comment in relation to us serving canned abalone, please be assured we only source fresh Tasmania abalones. It is also noted that fresh Tasmania abalone may differ in favor to traditional dry abalones sourced internationally.

As you mentioned you were unwell immediately after dinner, may we suggest that there may be other factors contributing to the timing of you being unwell. We take utmost care in providing a clean and safe environment and ensure hygiene is well maintained throughout the restaurant.

We thank you for your time in providing us with your feedback.

Kind regards
Stanley Tso
“Don't go ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We orders the Moretonbay bugs and blue crab dumplings in pork broth with red vinegar and ginger dipping sauce for starters, when they came there was no bok choy the or on the the bugs and they were battered ( not as the menu said), the crab dumplings came on a plate dry and no pork broth or ginger dipping sauce, we spoke to the waiter who said no sir that's how it comes, we decided to let it go and just enjoy our mains... The lemon chicken that we ordered was great prob the best we ever had, I order the ying yang duck if you check the menu out it tells you how it comes, well I had no vegetables apart from a slither of bok choy the duck was definitely not oven roasted as the skin was slimy and soft as if microwaved and was watery with no taste, there was no bbq pork and a piece of chicken and beef about an inch long each and wafer thin and no oyster sauce, the deluxe fried rice had no chicken, no bbq pork or shallots as on menu it was full of time y diced carrots and the're was about 5 cooking prawns no taste at all, we told the waiter after waiting about ten minutes who said he would get the manager who never came. We went to pay the bill and the girls complained about not getting tips,we decided not to stay and wait as the service had gone from being great to not interested when we said something, we also decided not to put a comment on here feeling if we spoke to the manager the next day he would have mire time and try to sort it.... How wrong was I I spoke with the manager at 11 am the next morning and his attitude was a disgrace, he told me he wasn't interest we should have asked for him on the night, strange cause I didn't know UNTILL the telephone conversation he was the actual waiter we complained too. Is it false selling??? I'm nit sure if you ask for a cheese and ham toasted sandwich in a cafe as on there menu and get just cheese are you in the right to complain orcordercand eye fillet steak with chip and salad and you get rump steak with veg is that ok. I think there must be a law to advertising a product and getting something else and refusing to rectify it is illegal?? don't go there we had 2 mineral waters and what I said above for. $125 hmmmm notches we ordered

Bondi, Australia
“Best Upmarket Chinese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Fantastic fresh Chinese food with some interesting twists, e.g. Duck San Choy Bau. Smallish so make sure you book. Has a great wine list and the service is amazing.

Visited December 2013