“Understated ambience and authentic seafood” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Understated ambience and authentic seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Voted best seafood restaurant n Launceston I expected a stuffy atmosphere which I was pleasantly surprised was far from the truth! Understated waterfront dining in a relaxed atmosphere with charming and helpful staff, roaring open fire, perfectly cooked fish and seasonal local produce. I will return frequently!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“Delicious...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Best seafood chowder I've ever had! The seafood platter for 2 consisted of a hot and cold assortment of seafood, fresh salmon, oysters, mussles, king-sized prawns, fish fillets (grilled, battered and crumbed), etc + chips and tartare sauce. The seafood was very fresh. The fried components including the chips were not oily. Well-worth the cost.

We had lunch on a weekday at Hallam's and were able to walk in without a reservation.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Launceston, Australia
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have lived in Launceston a long time and for some reason have never been to Hallams until tonight! Totally amazing food, interesting and exciting combinations. I work a lot with people and their customer service and my pet hate is usually restaurant staff be it for their presentation or the way they talk to their customers. Could not fault the staff here. Pleasant, well presented and knowledgeable . I think we will be making regular visits here from now on.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Overrated!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Travelling from the US for a week in Tasmania we have had a wonderful time- warm friendly people, beautiful gorgeous places, great food! We'd read about Launceston being the "foodie" city in Tasmania & decided on Hallams Waterfront after reading the reviews. Very disappointing main courses. We had salmon, the chowder, another grilled fish plate and steak. Pretty presentation but disappointing flavor and overpriced. We had eaten in some lovely places in Hobart, Freycinet National Park area etc and were looking forward to dinner in the "foodie" city of Launceston- sadly disappointed with our choice. Service was super slow and quite unfriendly. Would definitely not recommend.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Tasmania
“Great Tassie flavours, nice location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Went to Hallam's for lunch with my husband (we live in Launceston).

Hallam's was one of the very few restaurant open on Monday, which is great.

The seafood selection was good. My only criticism would be that the main portions were on the small side (I had the calamari). However, everything was very tasty.

(I have had their seafood platter on a previous visit and it was great!)

I'd recommend this restaurant to all seafood lovers.

• Visited May 2013