“Great service let down by canned seafood.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Great service let down by canned seafood.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Went there on a Wednesday night and it was surprisingly busy with a good atmosphere and reasonable prices. We ordered a bruschetta to start and two entrees as mains as we had a late lunch. The bruschetta had a gross plasticy cheese melted on it when usually it has no cheese at all. My entree of spaghetti alle vongole came out and I played find the clams. I found two, they were obviously not still in the shells. They were so small it looked like one had been cut int two and they tasted like they were from a can. Launceston is supposed to be good for seafood so imagine my disappointment. The staff were lovely and took it off the bill and gave me a dessert menu but I didn't want to take the risk.

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Adelaide
“The good then the bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I dined at this restaurant 3 times in the one week. The first 2 experiences were wonderful. Cosy atmosphere, good service, great food. The third night was a busy friday night. The staff were rushed and the woman that attended to me at the desk was obviously stressed (at 6.30pm) and made me feel that I was an imposition. I ordered a quick meal of lasagne- that was a mistake. The meal came quickly but was cold in the middle. I raised the issue to be told that the chef would be told- nothing else, didn't ask if I wanted the rest of my meal reheated- nothing. It is the little things that separate the good restaurants from the average- just such a pity.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Launceston, Australia
“Hair in food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Not going to lie I enjoyed the taste if the food. Until I found a hair in my meal. The waitress was nice enough and promptly took the meal away. The real shock came when they tried to charge me for the meal still when it was barely half eaten and their was a hair in it! The chef (if you can call him that) defended himself by saying "how do I know it wasn't from somewhere else". Now ladies and gentlemen I have shoulder length red hair. The hair was short and black. Strangely the chef also has short black hair (also he is balding). What a coincidence. Eventually they agreed to take a few dollars off the price....
The food was not at all bad and the waitresses were fine however I would never go back just on principle because of the rude nature of the chef. Inexcusable.

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Gerringong, Australia
“Good Italian meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We needed somewhere for dinner before our flight out and we had a complimentary bottle of wine to dispose of before we left, so Franco's fitted the bill. We arrived just after opening and got a table, so it wasn't busy but soon got a few more people. It seemed that a few were regulars.

Due to our supposed tight timetable (which could have been extended - thanks Jetstar), I just picked an entree sized lasagna, one of my staples at a new Italian restaurant, but my wife picked a seafood pasta.

Mine was a nice saucy lasagna and filling enough even as an entree size. My wife enjoyed her creamy pasta with a good mix of seafood.

Service was quick, so I decided on a dessert, tiramisu, and coffee. My wife declined dessert but when my tiramisu came out it seemed like a serving and a bit - they obviously gave us a bit extra to share - a nice touch.

Recommended for a good honest Italian meal

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Launceston, Australia
“Surprisingly nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We went here with our family (parents and siblings) for a birthday dinner. I had heard very mixed reviews for this place and even though my mother in law comes here quite often, we had never been. My husband and I both ordered veal (which neither of us had ever had before) and it was tender and the sauces were quite flavoursome, so we enjoyed our meal quite a bit. The simple veg that accompany each meal and nice too. Wholesome family homemade meals. Decor etc are basic and dating but the prices were reasonable, so a good evening overall.

• Visited December 2013