“Could be better” 2 of 5 stars
Review of North Lodge Apartments

North Lodge Apartments
You added North Lodge Apartments to your Saves list
North Lodge Apartments
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   7 Brisbane Street, Launceston, Tasmania 7250, Australia   |
Brisbane, Australia
“Could be better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Not the best place really in town, really needs updating. The heater is to small for hte room we had and thankfully they had an electric blamket on the bed. There was big gaps under the doors where the wind blew in. One hotplate on the cooker did not work. Outside the back door from the kitchen/laundry are it was full of dead leaves and rubbish. I felt the doors needed to be replaced with more secure doors, I think a child could have smashed them down. Like I said not hte best in town and ir really needs a lot of TLC. Could really be little gold mine if modernised a bit. The manageress was nice and she let me do my plane booking using her computer and she gave me 2 lamingtons that she had made for afternoon tea, they where very yummy.

Room Tip: beaware you will have a steep hill to climb up.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

North Lodge is conveniently located close to the CBD and my comfortable unit at the front had a lovely view of the green City Park. The staff were friendly and helpful, particularly the delightful Renee, and it was excellent value.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Pleasantly surprised by the central location of this well established hotel. We found the room rates to be good value for money especially compared to other hotels in the area. The best part of our stay was that we were able to prepare our own meals thereby saving heaps on eating out. The local Coles store (open till 10PM) is only about 10 minutes walking distance away and even faster when going by car. The supermarket is part of the Launceston Kmart that is open 24 hours per day. We really liked crossing the road in the morning and walking through the city park and along Cameron St past some very nice examples of heritage buildings. The clocktower is superb. We ate a great breakfast at the Manhattan Cafe Bar (83 York St). All in all North Lodge Apartments is a clean and friendly place to stay. Not too big, not too small so just right. Recommend it as Value for Money accommodation. Terry

Room Tip: Call the Manager. Renee direct. Do a Deal.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Gosford, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

Do not Book into these apartments. The proprietor/manager is not truthful. We had paid in advance for two nights on the 6th February and the 11th February. As we had
10 people we rented out the Penthouse which was meant to sleep 22 quests. Firstly the penthouse did not have interconnecting rooms and the public stairway came up in the middle, separating the main (lounge/sleeping/dining quarters), which contained the three squeaky double bunks and under trundles (9in all), plus a separate room with queen and set bunks, from the other two rooms. One room other rooms across the hall/stair way had a queen bed, and a double bunk set in a passage on the way to the 'spa' bath. The third separate room off the stairs had only space for the queen bed and a small bathroom. When we arrived in the afternoon on the 6th February the proprietor was not keen to give us the keys to all three rooms and wanted us all to 'camp' in the larger room with the squeaky beds, but eventually did give us the keys when we assured her our 'couples' did not wish to sleep in bunk beds, and we needed more than one bathroom for the 10 of us. In the main room with the veranda,, the bunk beds squeaked so much that it was impossible to sleep in them, and all the mattresses had to be put on the floor in order to sleep five of our number. Two available stretcher beds sat in the stairwell, and on opening these they were like a hammock and unusable. The sleeping situation was extremely poor, as only the three queen size beds were of any quality. So we paid $400 for five people to sleep in beds and the rest on the floor on mattresses. We did at least get towels, and tea and coffee on our first visit, but not milk. The manager/proprietor kept reminding saying we were extremely lucky to get this price, and it should have been $900, She claimed hhe website was incorrect at the time of our booking. I doubt we even got value for money for what we paid.

On our second visit (11 February) we arrived after our long walk from Cradle Mtn to Lake St. Clair, prepared for our 'broken penthouse" only to be told that she had had a "catastrophe". The manager said we all had to sleep in the one large room and single bedroom as "some asian students had flooded 4 apartments and they were unusable." She was even taking some quests 55km out of town to house them as she was short of rooms. Our party was really upset and I was a bit suspicious as on our first visit she was not keen to give us the keys to the other two rooms. Sadly, reluctantly and tired we went up to our creeking beds and wondered how we would manage 8 beds on the floor and a single all in one bathroom. There were only four towels in the bathroom, no tea, coffee, milk. Again we struggled with opening the windows and balcony doors to get air in the apartment. One gentlemen in our party was so upset by the sleeping arrangements that he was prepared to sleep in the stairwell in order to get some privacy, believing the the two rooms opposite were unable to be used. I went down stairs to get some towels, tea, coffee and milk and inform the reception/manager that he would be sleeping in the passage at the top of the stairs. She said I "should tell him not to be so fussy and get over it". I assured her he was a delightful man and If he needed space there was no other option for him. (We later noticed that the two rooms opposite (part of the penthouse booking) had been rented out. ) This gentlemen went down and talked with the lady and miraculously he was offered another apartment two floors below us with three single beds and a double and three people were able to move down stairs. The question is "Why did she have to mislead us and make life so difficult." We paid good money in June 2010 for our 'penthouse' in February 2011. There is no way that we should have been deceived. All the beds in the penthouse (apart from the 3 queens) are lousy. There were not even enough seats for 22 people to sit on (7 dining chairs and two lounges). It was still difficult for the seven remaining people in the 'penthouse' to manage with the one bathroom with not even a separate toilet or wash basin.
Very misleading advertising and poor value even for $400 a night let alone the $900 she claimed we should have paid.

Sadly this is no penthouse, but ok squeaky dormitory accommodation with kitchen attached and a three good beds if the manager/proprietor gives you the key to the rooms.. The location is fine but our experience with the managment of these apartments was really disappointing after a great few days hiking in the mountains.
I could NOT recommend you stay here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

This property was rated at 3.5 stars - well all I can think is that the reviewer must have been smoking something. What will I talk about first - the fact that the room smelt like an unclean fridge, the Jagermeister sticker up on the kitchen wall (a nice touch - perhaps a bottle of Jager would have made the experience vaguely bearable), the TV that didn't work, the lie about a person being in our room fixing it when we enquired about it at reception, the TV remote with no batteries, the stunning view over a car park (the booking stated 'sweeping views over city park and the Tamar Valley'). Oh the reception area stank of stale cigarettes and cheap cardboard airfresheners. Also don't understand how they can call themselves serviced apartments if they are going to charge you extra if you leave any washing up in the sink to be done. All this for $250 a night (no, I'm not kidding).

Did I mention the 15cm diameter burn in the carpet on the stairs to the second floor (very classy), or the walk all the way up a steep hill with our luggage that was required to get to our room? How about the pillowcases that had seen better days, I wouldn't put my head on it in a fit. I have stayed in plenty of basic hotels, and have no problem with no frills accommodation, but this was beyond the pale.

We checked out two hours after we checked in, after the lie about the repairman for the TV being in our room when we had just been there ourselves and noone was in there - we removed our luggage and ran screaming (rhetorically speaking) out the door. I could not have spent the night there if you paid me, in my opinion you'd be more comfortable getting a sleeping bag and going across the road to the City Park.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
natadola, General Manager at North Lodge Apartments, responded to this review, December 9, 2010
I have recently taken over management of North Lodge and would like to express to all past and future guests that I will give my upmost committment to making your stay a memoeable one for all the right reasons.The property has indergone a complete transformation from management style to room updates.
tas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

if you want to stay at a place where the manager doesnt storm into your room every hour, then dont stay here, worst service i have ever possibly dealt with. as no profanities are allowed i can not describe her.
even on arrival we got a spray for no particular reason.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

I compliment your review of this place. The management are NOT TO BE TRUSTED. They are rude, ignorant and quite honestly, a disgrace to the hospitality business.

I called up at 11pm to ask for directions as I was staying at the hotel the next day. I got told to [--] off for calling so late, then told that if I called again at this time my booking would be cancelled. When I called again to complain about being hanged up on, she said she was going to "KILL ME when I see you". Unbelievable! And all for what? For making an enquiry on how best to get to her hotel the next day!! In all my life of travelling to 29 countries and over 100 cities, I have never experienced this level of rudeness from any manager of a hotel and on this point alone, I would warnholiday makers to STAY AWAY. I will be spending my next 20 minutes posting on every forum possible to warn people of this establishment- it's not worth the risk of ruining a travel experience- imagine if I was a honeymooner, etc. Disgusting behaviour.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Been to North Lodge Apartments? Share your experiences!