“Nice location, reliable choice” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #50 of 226 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Spanish, Tapas, Australian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Salsa tapas wine bar is a great restaurant located at Seaport overlooking the Marina. Eat inside with multiple choices of seating from booths, couch areas, bar seating or traditional table seating or alfesco over looking the marina. At Salsa we adopt the Spanish way of eating, taking the time to enjoy many different flavours over a period of time with family and friends. We use quality, fresh ingredients sourced locally whenever possible and change some menu choices seasonally.Enjoy the experience in our relaxed restaurant where we always strive for great food and service.
Launceston, Australia
“Nice location, reliable choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Have eaten here about half a dozen times and left happy with the food and service every time. More vegetarian choices than many local restaurants. Some dishes are tiny, but great to mix and match. Mains also available. Would go there just for the swiss brown mushrooms with mascarpone and sherry vinegar. Nice open aspect with river views.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Glenwood286, Owner at Salsa Tapas Wine Bar Cafe, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for returning to Salsa and for taking the time to write a review. We do try hard to give friendly service and great food all the time. We hope to have you back again soon.

Orford, Australia
“How long????”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband I and chose this cafe because of the location. Overlooking the boats, enjoying the sun. Then it all went downhill. We were not greeted by staff, so we seated ourselves. After approx 7 minutes with still no waitress intervention, I found some menus myself. I also handed some to a family of 5 with equally quizzical looks on their faces. The mother replied "I guess it's help yourself today."
We really should have left then, as that family did, but because time alone with my husband is a rarity, I persisted. I ordered a pot of tea with my breakfast. My husband asked if I wanted just one cup, as opposed to the pot, to which I replied, "That depends on how long it takes for breakfast to arrive." I know I was overheard by a waitress, I believe she may have been the manager, but she made no comment on my concern. I sipped my tea slowly. I poured another cup. I poured another cup and still no food, now just cold tea. We overheard waitress' turning customers away stating that it would be at least an hour before they could fulfil breakfast orders, but they didn't think to let any of the existing customers know this. Drinks were being bought out at regular intervals, but not food. We had to approach them on numerous occasions to find out how long our food would be. There was very poor communication between patrons, waiter staff and chefs. A very poor experience. I understand that in this industry, there can be and usually are delays, but we waited over an hour for our food and I believe more smiles and the occasional acknowledgement would have 'softened' this disappointing experience. Sorry Salsa, but you do not get my recommendation.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
I can only imagine it was last Sunday that you dined with us and I'm extremely sorry for your experience. Please let me explain our side of this. We normally do up to 80 breakfasts on a Sunday, last Sunday we did 167 and still had to turn people away. It all happened unexpectedly and very fast, our staff were under a lot of pressure and was difficult for them also as normally we pride ourselves in great service and food. This experience was very disappointing for us as well, it certainly is not the service we normally provide. Had we have had bookings we would have been somewhat more prepared but unfortunately that wasn't the case. We did start to advise customers on the wait so they could make that choice and I apologise if we were not aware of this when you sat down. Unfortunately your docket must have been set back in the pile as the wait was not that long for others and I can only sincerely apologise again. If you could give us another try sometime please let me know or if there is anything else I can do don't hesitate to contact me.
Melbourne, Australia
“Tasty Tapas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Great atmosphere, seats over looking the water.

Friendly attentive staff.

Found prices to be great apart from the bread, which was just ridiculous @$6.50 for 3small pieces. Surely a whole loaf doesn't even cost that much!

Lamb cutlets delightful, as were the oysters and the pumpkin n feta aranci, yum!!

Definantley go back, but may pass on the bread.

Glenwood286, Owner at Salsa Tapas Wine Bar Cafe, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
We are pleased you enjoyed your experience at Salsa and thank you for coming. We understand you have a huge choice when it comes to dining out and appreciate you spent some time with us. A contributing factor to the pricing on the sourdough is the aged balsamic that we do ourselves and the Spanish EVOO used however I will certainly look at the sizing portions of bread. Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Salsa and we hope to see you again.
Sydney
“Good cafe/restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The angled decor is a bit odd at first, but the food is excellent. A great place for breakfast or a coffee (they make very good coffee) with views over the river.

Visited November 2012
Sally W, Owner at Salsa Tapas Wine Bar Cafe, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thanks for dining at Salsa and taking time out to write a review. Our coffee is good, I agree! Our local roaster is great. The decor can be a talking point, adds to the experience. Hopefully we will see you again sometime.
Canberra, Australia
“Dinner at Seaport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Good creative food - imagine beef with ice cream!! Amazingly good! we dined early and so avoided the noisy bar crowd

Visited November 2012
Sally W, Owner at Salsa Tapas Wine Bar Cafe, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Salsa and we are pleased you enjoyed the beef! Our menu changes regularly with additions to surprise and tempt the palate! Look forward to having you back.