“Refurbished and central location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   29 Cameron St, Launceston, Tasmania 7250, Australia   |
Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Launceston
NSW Australia
“Refurbished and central location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed in a refurbished room. Very comfortable king size bed, large walk-in robe and clean well appointed bathroom. Lobby has a welcoming feel, the bar is nice to enjoy a drink, even though a little pricey and they don't offer bar nibblies which i think for a hotel like this is the least they should do. They offer free newspapers which is good. Only down side is the hotel car park is not secure and anyone can wander in from the street. Very close to everything and there is a beautiful park at the end of the street which is great to walk or run through. The other direction takes you down to the esplanade which is good for runners or just to take a stroll. Good corporate rates offered.

Room Tip: It is a quiet street so traffic not a problem but I stayed on a Wednesday night and faced the street...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Recently I stayed at Hotel Grand Chancellor where I found the staff very friendly & helpful. The front desk staff explained about breakfast that if you pre book you receive 20% discount so intead of $25 its only $20 for full buffet breakfast. The restaurant staff also very helpful & friendly.
I was in one of the unrenovated rooms which it a bit dated & old fashioned (furnishings etc really need to be updated) I also think the hotel should supply at least one small 500 ml FREE BOTTLE of water per room per day.
Location was very handy to lots of attractions/shops/cafes etc.

Room Tip: For cheap water, go to Milk bar just on the corner near City Park- $1 for 500-600ml ( just turn righ...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I stayed in one of the recently renovated rooms, which appears to be a big improvement on the experiences of earlier reviewers. Bathroom was all new and could not be faulted. Bed was comfortable. Plug in computer access available, which is a must for any business traveller these days. I still get annoyed at the hefty surcharge for internet access, which is something that should be standard in hotels catering for business travellers. The cost of broadband is steadily decreasing and is obviously less of an impost on the hotel.
Reception staff were pleasant and did their job satisfactorily. Still a long wait to checkout and the hotel would do well to see what they can do to speedup the checkout process, especially as my room was being paid for by a third party and they had my credit card details for the $6.50 bottle of water on the beside table (did not see the little tab advising of the cost, I thought it was complimentary).
Anyway, overall the renovations have made for very comfortable rooms. A couple of minor grumbles but for the price it was fair value and I will be staying there again (or at least report to the company paying for me that it is satisfactory). 4/5 for me.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms. There are nice views looking north.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The suite was lovely and clean but there was only one power point to charge phones etc. we ask for a cocktail and they had no idea how to make it we explained how it was made but decided to take 2 seperate drinks instead of the $16 back they never offered the price difference back. Overall knowledge of bar and service very slack. The restaurant staff were very friendly but got my meal wrong I had a steak with a little green salad no dressing or anything else on the plate $35 over cooked was offered no exchange can away after spending almost $77 on two mains still hungry, would not recommend and would not go back, breakfast everything was dry and over cooked coffee was like tar when asked for a different one was td we had to pay extra ontop of the $25 for one. The restaurant let the star rating down, give me that star in I India anytime so much better

• Stayed August 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Bad experience overall. Room was dirty, towels old and thin, amenities awful. The moth eaten lamp shade was not a nice touch. The staff at reception when checking in were not very we'll trained - they were not very welcoming

• Stayed June 2012
GM-HGCL, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Greetings mssale….. on behalf of the team here at Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston, please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on your stay with us two months ago…..

Notwithstanding the expectation one has when they book through a third party website for a ‘mystery room’ at a Hotel they don’t even know where they are staying, we should have provided you with a level of service that you expected…..

The lamp shade in the room you stayed, has been replaced…..we should have spotted the damage sooner, prior to your stay, but it has since been replaced…..it appeared as though it had been knocked quite heavily and one of the supports had broken and penetrated the lamp shade…..

I understand that your comments relating the reception staff centre around the hotels requirement to take a pre-authorisation on your credit card as security for any charges that may be incurred during your stay.....as I understand we requested a pre authorisation of $50 on this occasion and this created you a problem the following day…..once again, I sincerely apologise if the caused you a problem and we’ll make sure that we thoroughly communicate to our guests what a pre authorisation is and how it may impact on your credit card…..

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is nice enough and the staff are friendly and helpful. It is located within an easy walking distance to the town centre and there are a couple of decent restaurants nearby. I only really have one real gripe. I really don't understand why what appears to be a business hotel at the higher end does not offer free Internet access. The access it does offer is the usually daily rate - $25 a day but there's no wifi access in the rooms. Makes no sense in the 21st century.

• Stayed August 2012
Greetings Charlielibra…..thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us…… I am pleased to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful…..i will make sure that I pass these comments onto the team members…..

I can emphasise with your comments regarding the provision of wifi and you are correct when you say we don’t have it in any of a guest rooms at present….. We do in our conference rooms and hotel lobby…..i would like to take the opportunity to let you know that we are currently reviewing options that will allow us to deliver wifi to all 165 guest rooms here at the Hotel…..it shouldn’t be too far away that we will have this service available to all our guests……which we are pretty excited about!

Wagga Wagga, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

The shower was hopeless. Too slow. You had to soap up first then rinse it off.
The bed was lumpy with great hollows. Not at all satisfactory.
The staff were excellent. Friendly and professional
Dont expect undisturbed sleep at the weekend.
It needs a big sprucing up to become grand again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Greetings JohnEgan_12….. on behalf of the team here at Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us……I trust you enjoyed the function you attended which was held at the albert hall in city park?…..it is pleasing to read your positive comments about the staff, I will pass these on to the team members …..

Mr. Egan, we have undertaken a refurbishment program ere at the Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston and as at writing we are about half way through the Hotel…..the room you stayed in, is not one of those guest rooms that has been refurbished as yet…..in regards to the water being too slow, I have arranged for maintenance to inspect the guest room in which you stayed and we have routinely cleaned the filters to ensure this was not obstructing the flow of water to your room…..please accept by sincere apologies for not meeting your expectation……

Whilst we enjoy our proximity being a centrally located Hotel which provides for ease of access to everything this beautiful city has to offer, we do appreciate that at times our location can be hindered by noise created by nearby establishments at certain times of the day and night…..we work closely with authorities to report any behaviour that is outside what is considered ‘normal’…..

general manager

Been to Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston? Share your experiences!