“Seen better days but OK” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   29 Cameron St, Launceston, Tasmania 7250, Australia   |
Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Launceston
London, United Kingdom
“Seen better days but OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

Seen better days and service was no great shakes. Great Chinese round the corner. Staff and furnisniture all a little tired. You get what u pay for

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

We spent three nights here in March (we have family in Launceston so regularly visit). There's nothing wrong with the hotel, perfectly fine, clean, comfy, safe etc in good location and the rate we found through http://www.hotel-desk.net was very low.

BUT - the hotel was having major refurbishment works taking place on the floor below us, which we only found out about at 7.30am when the banging/drilling started directly below! Firstly why were we placed directly above the work, and secondly why were we not told at check-in about the possible noise. There was a letter in the room saying that work was taking place, starting at 9am...

We decided that we would go to the gym.. the hotel website and info in the room both had information about the special agreement that the hotel had with a particular gym in town. On asking at check-in they told us that the gym had closed down and they weren't sure of other options...

Not great customer service, and the noise certainly spoilt our stay. Saying that, I'm sure the refurb will be great for the hotel!

Room Tip: Ask whether there is building work taking place!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Western Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

My husband and I have only been here 2 out of 7 nights so far. I'm here for work conference. First off booked unto a room with 2 double beds, unable to change rooms due to the hotel being fully booked. The first morning I was awoken by Jack hammering in the adjacent room which continued all day. I was keen for sleep in given that I had spent 12hrs travel time getting to Launceston. We requested a room change which was granted as soon as they could which was great and a complimentary breakfast for the two of us for the disruption. I am unsure however how they can maintain a 4 star rating given the in room decor is outdated and there is not near enough power points in the room and the charge for a double adapter is like $7.50!! Female reception staff are very accomodating but the male I dealt with yesterday was incompetent, I'd still be awaiting his call to advise if we could have a room change had I waited. I have stayed in
other Hotel Grand Chancellors around the country and they are far more superior than Launcestons. I would only return again if work were going to foot the bill.

• Stayed April 2011
Belfast Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Stayed for only one night as part of a 9 day tour around Tasmania. The hotel has a good central location in Launceston. Room was clean and had all the facilities needed. Breakfast in the morning was ok with a good choice. There is a charge for parking at the hotel as its a shared carpark.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

This is not the most plush hotel in the world, but I had a pleasant stay here. My room was not one of the recently updated ones, but it was clean and well furnished; I have no complaints overall about my short stay there.

• Stayed March 2011
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

The fittings are little dated, and the lack of a light fixture in the ceiling annoyed me, but otherwise it is a solid mid-range hotel. The room service is reasonable, the service in general was very accommodating. The location is excellent for Launceston. The broadband can be a little expensive but that seems to be the norm in Launceston.

Not super special but my go-to while in Launceston. Very dependable. I've stayed several times over the space of 18 months and I haven't had a bad experience yet.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
darlinghurst
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

After reading earlier reviews it was some trepidation that I and a group of 9 girlfriends heading to the Grand Chancellor as part of our package for Life's An Adventure Bay of Fires Walk [that is another story or review].
The hotel may have seen better days, but it all worked for us. Receptionists could handle the large crowd of 10 seeking 5 rooms - all rooms were placed near each other on the same floor. The bar was great & the free bar nibbles were suitable.
We easily strolled to Mud Restaurant for a fantastic feed.
The next morning, the buffet continental breakfast was ample and once again the staff was very accommodating for our group.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston? Share your experiences!