“Would We Come Back? Probably Not.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel City Park Grand

You added Clarion Hotel City Park Grand to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel City Park Grand
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Tamar Street, Launceston, Tasmania 7250, Australia (Formerly City Park Grand Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 20% OFF Room Rate
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Launceston
Sydney
“Would We Come Back? Probably Not.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Having investigated Launceston accommodation on TripAdvisor, we booked the Clarion to end a special Tassie holiday. Unfortunately we were place on the top level. For a family with 2 young daughters this was not appropriate, especially when I booked the 2 bedroom many months in advance. I knew that there wasn’t a lift, but I now know that you need to specifically request a 2 bedroom on the ground floor! Although we felt that the receptionist was friendly, to us, she was unhelpful. In fact, both my wife and I felt uncomfortable with answers to our questions. Maybe this was because we just came from accommodation in Cradle Mountain where the reception was friendly, personal, welcoming and helpful.
The room was comfortable, clean and well appointed. However for a family, the stairs, the receptionist, the cost, no wifi and the Foxtel reception that was so poor it was unwatchable… all added up to a place that shouldn’t rate number one in TripAdvisor.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We travelled in a large group and had a variety of rooms, but none of us were disappointed. Everyone was very comfortable and enjoyed their stay very much. We had two rooms in the Stables and 2 rooms in the main building. The rooms in the Stables have the spas. For my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) we stayed in a double double in the Stables. It was extremely roomy, very well equipped with lots of thoughtful things that will make you feel right at home. And it was very clean, which makes it even more comfortable. Location is convenient - quick drive from Cataract Gorge, walkable to City Park and the city centre. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Had a one night stay booked on our trip around Tassie.
We didn't get to see much of Launceston itself but the hotel appeared fairly well located and was easy enough to find.
Our room was a standard room located on the third (top) level of the main building. Given the age of the building - there is no lift!! We were due to catch a flight early in the morning and I needed to repack the bags - so we had no choice but to lug all our heavy bags up 3 levels!

I booked this hotel initially because I got a good price as an NRMA member and Tripadvisor had mostly positive reviews. Despite the epic journey up the stairs - this hotel did not disappoint. The room itself was very comfortably appointed and well furnished. The bed was very very comfortable to sleep in after a long day on the road. The bathroom was small but quality and hubby liked that there was a set of bathroom scales to check his weight given all the luxurious food we had been eating.

The room itself was quite small - I felt comfortable enough for the one night but I think I would feel a little claustrophobic if I had to stay longer - especially as it wasn't possible to open any windows. This wasn't helped by all our luggage in the room - however I believe there was an option for luggage storage through reception if needed.

Given the stairs and hallways were quite creaky - I was worried that I would be woken by noises of other guests but I was pleasantly surprised that once the door was closed, I never heard a single noise from the hallway.

I was very happy with this accomodation and can see why it is so highly rated on Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: If you have alot of bags - ask not to stay on the third floor!!!
Banbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The central, clean, well appointed and comfortable rooms, all be ours rather small, was complemented by the most helpful staff that ensured our stay was enjoyable. There is ample car parking and a sizeable gym for those feeling keen.

Room Tip: A town centre so request a quiet location.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We booked a romance package, our room was in the stables, it was just perfect. All the trimmings were there, bath salts - had a fabulous spa, chocolates and wine. The bed was so comfortable. We loved our stay here and would highly recommend for tourist or just a romantic get away. Walking distance to many local attractions and restaurants. Don't be fooled by appearances, this place is truly wonderful

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Staying in the annex of the hotel, I was a little concerned with my hotel choice, however when I opened my hotel room door I my fears drained away. The room was well appointed & had l mod cons available. The room was tastefully decorated.
I dined in the hotel restaurant & found the food to be of a high standard, flavoursome & well executed. I thanked the Chef upon my exit. The Chocolate Fondant was a spectacular way to end such an enjoyable meal.
If I had a gripe though, the restaurant staff & it's décor don't seem to be able to match the food in terms of quality.
I did however find my stay very enjoyable though.
Regards...

Room Tip: Use the restaurant & gym....
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My wife was a bit concerned as we approached the property. "Did you really book here ? Are you sure it's the right place ?" she queried.
I must admit I was a bit worried myself.
The photo on Trip Advisor looked a whole lot more impressive than real life.
It was hardly in the middle of town as I was assured when I booked. More like the butt end of town with Boag's Brewery occupying both sides of the street and most of the block.
Almost reluctantly we headed up tho the 1st floor of the "Stables" wing and once we opened the door our fears evaporated.
The room was quite spacious with an old world feel ( in good way) to it.
Think leather chesterfield, quality inlaid wood furniture, quality curtains and bed coverings and a very comfortable bed.
The bathroom was large and nicely appointed.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
We didn't eat at the restaurant and the hotel only turned out really to be a couple of blocks "out of the action" but close to a great park and the river.
Recommended.

Room Tip: I'd take the 1st floor of the Stables over the ground level which is a bit close to the car park...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Clarion Hotel City Park Grand? Share your experiences!