“Okay - More of a wildlife park than a zoo.” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 15 Attractions in Launceston
More attraction details
Owner description: Tasmania Zoo is located within 900 acres of private natural bushland, so why not enjoy the peace and quiet while discovering the largest private collection of animal species in Tasmania. Tasmania Zoo is fully accredited with Zoos Victoria to ensure high standards in animal husbandry and exhibit design.There are many native and exotic species of animals to visit at Tasmania Zoo, including crocs, an American Alligator, Tasmanian Devils, Little Blue Penguins, reptiles, kangaroo's, wombats and hundreds of bird species including the endangered Wedge-Tailed Eagle and the only exhibit of the endangered Swift Parrots in Tasmania.Visit Tasmania Zoo during our Feeding and Interpretation times and enjoy watching and learning about the Tasmanian Devils and the Little Blue Penguins. Our Tasmanian Devils are fed daily at 10.30am, 1.00pm and 3.30pm and includes an opportunity to have your photo taken while petting a baby Devil. The Little Blue Penguins are also fed daily at 10.00am and 4.00pm.You’ll have a Devil of a time!
Whyalla, South Australia, Australia
21 attraction reviews
“Okay - More of a wildlife park than a zoo.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Went to the Tasmania Zoo when we were in Launceston recently, a bit disappointed with it as the Zoo, would suggest with the animals that are predominately through the Zoo it would be more apt to be called a wildlife park. Young children will be pleased any way. The big drawcard for us was the dinosaur walk, we have a dinosaur crazy 4 year old and the display was brilliant. Did however feel we were rushed through the dinosaur display as it must be done on a guided tour due to vandals ruining the displays in the past. If you have children into dinosaurs then this is the place to go.

Visited March 2013

Scooter64
9 attraction reviews
“Great fun with the meerkats”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Small zoo, can do with a bit of colour and larger animals. The enclosure for the meerkats is amazing. Staff are great.

Visited May 2013
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
32 attraction reviews
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Considering how out of the way this zoo was to get too I guess I expected more. I had already been to another wildlife park in Tasmania and this place did not compare. The animals seemed miserable. The keepers didn't seem knowledgeable. Half the cages were actually empty or had different animals in them than stated and it was a very hands off zoo. I could not recommend it to anyone. Depressing.

Visited May 2013
“Worst Zoo Ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

When we arrived we were greeted on a car park that looked little better than a junk yard, and a tacky gorilla theme park looking sculpture thing.

We made it to the front desk, where I was grilled by the women behind the desk about the ages of my two sons ( at the time they were 2 1/2 and the second was 11 months). She looks at me and said "which one is the 2 1/2 year old" feeling like it was the stupidest question ever I pointed to my 11 month old and said "this one obviously", my husband and I were then grilled for the next five minutes about how some children with genetic disorders can appear older or younger then their real age.

After getting through all this we were even charged entry for my 2 1/2 year old (2 adults and 1 child being over $60), on entering the park I was horrified to see how the birds were caged, either not enough perches or too much. The cockatoo aviaries were especially bad, they were very small and if the bird wanted to fly they would not be able to as branches that had being added to the aviaries took up too much space and not leaving enough room for the birds to fly.

The enclosure for the Blur & Yellow Macaw also seemed far to small, there was also another family visiting that day and were kicking the Macaw aviary and screening at the bird right in front of staff and nobody did a thing about it.

Then we went to see if the apes would be any better, but as soon as the apes got sight of us from their enclosures they went into hiding, peering round corners to see where we were.

There was nowhere to sit (unless in the food court) nor was there any shaded areas.

All in all we stayed 30 minutes if that! In summary I would say the "zoo" is very backward and offers their animals enclosures to a standard little better then that of the 1900s, this was an extremely disappointing experience and a total wast of money and time.

Totally not deserving of being called a "Zoo" as that word conjures a certain image in ones mind as to what to expect, and this is surely not up to that standard!

Visited March 2013
Launceston, Australia
20 attraction reviews
“Great 2 hours but too expensive.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

A visit here results in a pleasant 2-3 hours on wandering around the exhibits. The dinosaur walk is an interesting addition to the park and very enjoyable. Overall very good but should be cheaper in my opinion, see below. Not somewhere I would pay to go to again in a hurry.

Found the price quite too excessive though given that it is really a wildlife park not a zoo. The $25 they charge here for a wild life park that can be easily seen within a couple of hours is over the top in my opinion, when Melbourne Zoo is only $26 for SO much more!

Kids would enjoy it.