“It is a shame some things change” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 230 Restaurants in Launceston
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: The Cafe restaurant is within the Josef Chromy winery in Relbia, just outside Launceston
Tasmania
“It is a shame some things change”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We went back to Josef Chromy for lunch in June and hadn't been for about 8 months or so before then. Previous visit excellent - 5 stars! Latest visit such a sad disappointment. Gone was the outdoor seating and eating and fabulous affordable menu and in with a large function dining room and an expensive menu. $ 28 for a pie... really. Although tasty, Tinnies at Kings Meadows sells the best pies ever @ $6.00. I am so very sad that things have changed. We loved going for lunch.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sunshine Beach, Australia
“Free wine tasting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Don't miss visiting this estate. A wonderful scenic winery with a superb restaurant facility. A little pricey but you will not be disappointed.

Visited June 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Only the view is it's saving grace..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I'm afraid this restaurant has it's standards slip in recent months. I think there has been a change of Chef. We've given him a couple of months to settle in. However, it's evident he hasn't the skill to lift the game of this restaurant to what it should be.
Josef Chromy's Wines are great & always easy drinking with food. The Risotto that I had was bland & over cooked & my partner's Pork was tiny. I would expect more finesse & more attention to detail in my main courses (that we had to wait at least 45 minutes for), especially as I'm paying around $35-40 per main. Different Chef, please.....

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Was very much looking forward to having lunch here, after enjoying an amazing cheese platter with friends here in November. We had an entree and a main. We waited two hours for our main and, like entree it was very small, disappointing and overpriced. I am happy to pay $30 for a main if it tastes amazing, but my pulled pork risotto had a minuscule amount of pork in it, in fact about a 20 cent piece size . The service was good and the room was beautiful with amazing views.
I will definitely return here but only for the cheese platter and wine. The rest leaves a lot to be desired.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Melbourne, Australia
“An afternoon of eating and tasting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had an enjoyable afternoon eating in front of the fire place and tasting beautiful wines in between courses. We were able to try the different variety of wines on offer and then order a wine that matched our meal. Food was ok. I had the risotto and it was nice.

The atmosphere was relaxed and comfortable and being able to sit and eat at the coffee table in front of the open fire was a great touch on a cool easter monday afternoon.

This is not a restaurant for children as there is not a lot too do, but I would highly recommend stopping here for lunch before taking off from the nearby Launceston airport. You wont be disappointed.

• Visited April 2013