“Satisfactory” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Motel Mount Gambier

Motel Mount Gambier
You added Motel Mount Gambier to your Saves list
Motel Mount Gambier
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   115 Penola Road, Mount Gambier, South Australia 5290, Australia   |
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Mount Gambier
“Satisfactory”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stayed there for just 1 night and we took out the shared rooms with 2 beds in each room. It was actually pretty good and the beds were comfy. The bathrooms were clean and had hot water and the heaters worked fine. Great location. Friendly staff. They were very helpful and informative. It wasn't 5 star but I think for it's standards it was quite satisfactory.

Stayed April 2014
MMGIndependent, Owner at Motel Mount Gambier, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you Chamith P for posting a review.
I have had many guests comment on how comfortable the beds are, but it is always good to know that others feel the same, and yes, I even had one family tell me the showers were like a spa, invigorating. This is exceptionally good news as all of Mount Gambier (houses, industry etc) is only gravity fed with our water supply and to be fortunate enough to be in one of the better spots is nice.

One thing that I have always prided myself on is my knowledge of not only this city, but the whole region as well. This means that I can assist anybody from anything from general knowledge right through to rarely visited locations; or if you are here on business, names and addresses. Our location here is near to many of the attractions whist not being so close that you end up in the noisy part of town, a good nights sleep can be easily had.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Robe, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is by far the worst motel I have ever stayed in worldwide. The carpet was filthy, the sheets had been slept in, hence the bed was not made properly. The headboard of the bed was extremely dangerous as it jutted out, thus I bumped my head quite badly. No microwave or toaster, cutlery or crockery except for two cups and saucers all this is provided in other motels nowadays. No toiletries and the bathroom facilities were very dated. Air conditioning worked but noisy,

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
MMGIndependent, Owner at Motel Mount Gambier, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
I am sorry to here that you bumped your head on the headboard, but short of removing the whole headboard I am not sure what I can do to prevent this.
With regards to the sheets, I can assure you that they have been changed and I can only assume that the ultra soft feel they provide my guests with (they are not a stiff thick (or sometimes referred to as "crisp") sheet that lays out dead flat but are much softer and flexible, therefore if you simply sit on the bed, place luggage on the bed or whatever, it causes them to move a little) is part of the reason of why you might have felt that the bed had not been made.
We can easily provide a microwave plus a toaster, plus any other items that you may need (which is stated in the Guest Compendium) and the toiletries are in the bathroom in the form of push button dispensers, (not soap wrapped up in paper etc) so just like people have liquid soap etc in their homes, so we have the same too.

As I have stated in prior responses, please feel free to ask to see the room I will allocate you prior to booking in here, that way you can ask questions / make informed decisions prior to paying me
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the 2 bedroom family room. Suits large family or group (up to 6). Exactly what we needed for an overnight stay during our driving holiday. Great shower and pressure which is important for us when you want to relax during lengthy drives. Kids loved the bunk bed!

Staff very friendly and keen to ensure we were both comfortable and aware of things we could do during our stay. Would stay again.

• Stayed January 2014
MMGIndependent, Owner at Motel Mount Gambier, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Hello DrivHoli
Thank you for your feedback. The 2 bedroom family suite is indeed a very special room, big and open, lots of storage, bigger than normal fridge (to cater for families) big 6 person table and chairs and the bunk bed set-up is truly unique, it was made in Italy and shipped out here.
It is interesting you mention the water pressure because you are not the first person to tell me that. I have to assume this is something that is not found too often away from Capital Cities, and we all know how refreshing a good shower at the end of the day is.
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed in a standard twin room for AUD115. We felt it was over-priced and would have been more comfortable paying AUD 80 for this type of room. Tired 1970's décor, cold draught coming in under the door, worn carpet, wall mounted soap and body wash dispensers in the bathroom instead of bar soap and toiletries, 1-ply toilet paper that your finger goes straight through unless you folder it over 10 times first and difficult to retrieve the end of the roll from the wall mounted dispenser that is designed to stop you from taking the roll with you when you leave. An unusual level of penny-pinching for this price range.
No internet available here and no restaurant.
On the plus side the beds were comfortable and the Manchester was clean and soft. The airconditioner heater setting worked well and kept the room warm during the cold night.
Being able to park right outside the room was convenient.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
MMGIndependent, Owner at Motel Mount Gambier, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Hello Ecotourism

Thank you for your feedback.
The price that you quoted indicates to me that you stayed here during the "high" season as the twin rooms are normally a little cheaper than that, therefore the price reflects the level of demand for rooms.
I am not sure what to say regarding the soap dispensers as in most peoples own homes, they have push bottle dispensers of liquid soap sitting on top of the vanity unit, the only difference here was they are mounted on the wall. Should you choose to return here and let me know in advance of arriving that you expect a bar of soap, I will be more than pleased to go to the supermarket and buy you one.
I am not sure why you mention their was no Internet as I advertise the fact that we have WiFi Internet available for purchase. I usually give everyone half an hour of WiFi for free, and if anyone wants more, I only charge $2 per hour (which I might happen to add is less than many other places - one place charges $7 per hour).
I understand that not having the restaurant open whilst you were here was a problem, and I am sorry for any inconvenience that we might have caused; but if I could point out that we are the closet motel to the biggest shopping centre in Mount Gambier (complete with food court) and only one and a half Kilometres away from the city centre (where all the hotels and cafes are located) good options do present themselves.
Thank you for indicating that we provided good, clean and comfortable bedding and linen as that is something that we work hard to achieve, and are we ever pleased to offer you ground floor rooms (no second story here with remote parking).
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. There was always a car parked opposite reception. Fortunately, the motel wasn't very busy so you could still get in and out.

The disabled room had a great external ramp with a rail. The bathroom had grab rails by the shower and toilet. The plastic garden chair was adequate in the shower. There was little water pressure.

The air conditioning was very noisy. Some maintenance and updating would not go astray.

The twin disabled room was at the front so we had to put up with the horrendous traffic noise which seems to be a common problem in Mt Gambier. Also had this problem at the Quality Inn four years ago.

The manager was friendly, informative and supplied a toaster on request.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, I have yet to find a twin disabled room in Mt. G. that didn't suffer from road no...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hello Disabled Client

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that the road noise was upsetting but since the only disabled access room that I have is along the front their was not much that I could do to reduce that issue for you. Out of the 32 rooms in total that I have here, only 3 are up by the road and the rest are either well away or protected from road noise by the main reception and other buildings.
The reason for the low water pressure is all of Mount Gambier is gravity fed therefore water pressure varies, it is just the way the authorities designed and built the city.
I am glad to hear that we could provide cheerful assistance to you whenever you wanted to know something as I pride myself on my knowledge base of not only this city, but the whole region. As I have said in the past, if you want something, please come up and see me and I will do my best to get that for you.
Steeple Bumpstead, Essex, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Dirty, ripped-off, road noise from very early morning. Not a good place to stay and to think it was recommended by the local Tourist Information office is unbelievable. I haven't stayed anywhere quite like this in the last twenty years. The sights of Mount Gambier are well worth seeing but find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Booked this place sight unseen, couldn't be happier.

Got a twin room situated at the front corner on the main road, but the road noise was so little it never mattered.

Staff were helpful, our room was one of an interconnected set and the internal door between the two was left unlocked, this was fixed within 2 minutes of asking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MMGIndependent, Owner at Motel Mount Gambier, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Hello Art S
Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay here and that the rooms in particular and the motel as a whole were clean neat and comfortable.
As I have always said in the past, please approach me in person if you require something and I will always do my very best to provide what you want and I guess to that end, you have proven that comment correct.

Been to Motel Mount Gambier? Share your experiences!