We just had one night here on our way from Adelaide to Melbourne, but wish we could have stayed longer, as Mount Gambier itself looked worth a visit. We did manage to see the Blue Lake the following morning which was quite an amazing sight - and it really was blue!
The reception area was impressive, but not so the exterior of the section we were in, which was obviously part of the original motel and resembled a rather run-down cell block! Fortunately once inside, the room was like any other better-than-average motel room, much to our relief. However, the newer parts looked much nicer, and the rooms we could see into (they had large picture windows and the path back to the restaurant passed close by) looked very spacious.
The bed was comfortable, and we didn't hear any noise from the road so we slept well. The bathroom was a touch on the small side, and although it had everything we needed, the attention to detail on some of the fittings was lacking. The towels were also very small - one of my pet hates.
We ate in the restaurant as we don't like to have to get back in the car after a long day's drive, and it didn't disappoint. The steak was superb, and not to be missed. One feature we liked was the open wine cellar in a corner of the restaurant, where you could check out all the wines on offer before making a choice.
Would we stay again? Yes, but we might choose a better room if we could get a good rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat to the idyllic Barn Accommodation, where chic, elegantly appointed havens are set amongst expansive landscaped gardens and a lush rural setting….. Offering fresh country air in abundance, The Barn is nestled amongst expansive and tranquil landscaped gardens boasting historic ornamental trees, yet is only 5 minutes from the centre of Mount Gambier. Enjoy a pleasant stroll or a more challenging hike. A hit of tennis on our full size court might be more your style, followed by a soak in your private spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Barn Accommodation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Barn Hotel Mount Gambier
- Barn Accommodation Mount Gambier