“Pay Extra for the Seaview, it's Worth It” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel

Save Saved
You added Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel to your Saves list
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Holdfast Promenade, Glenelg, South Australia 5045, Australia   |
Special Offer
Stay 3 Nights & Save 15%!
Ranked #5 of 7 hotels in Glenelg
Dublin, Ireland
“Pay Extra for the Seaview, it's Worth It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2005

I really enjoyed staying here. We had booked a one bedroomed park view apartment on the internet as we were not able to book a sea view. How disappointed I would have been if my husband had not asked for an upgrade. To my surprise, I got a two bedroomed sea view! Stunning apartment, reminded me of the "Embassy" apartments with regards to decor, lots of chocolates, crisp white sheets and the odd throw and bright pillow. The balcony was big enough to hold a table and four chairs. Staff were lovely and everything was clean. Knowing what I do now, I would never book any other type of view here. Careful ordering room service - the hotel has several restaurants downstairs and you pay a room service charge per restaurant, not per order, which was a bit of a pain. The location is excellent - right on the marina in Glenelg, but a bit noisy in the early hours of the morning. There are a couple of bars downstairs and while you can't hear any noise from them (credit to the builders) some people spill out onto the beach and you can hear all about it. A small price to pay, as waking up to lovely Glenelg beach that next morning was a great start to the day. Use Jetty road for breakfast though, you get a better feed and pay a lot less. It's about a five to ten minute walk away.

• Stayed August 2004

403 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

I stayed here in November 2003 and we had a two bedroom/two bathroom ocean view suite....and it was amazing. I stayed with friends and it was the perfect size to have alone time and having the living room was fantastic when people dropped by the visit. It's the smae size as a small apartment.

I stayed here again in July 2005 and was not as happy. Although we again booked a two bedroom suite this one only had one bathroom and the layout was a little weird. The second bedroom was basiclly a fishbowl with huge glassdoors opening it to the kitchen and living area. The glass was frosted so you got some privicy but not enough. There was also a door to the bathroom from this room and the noise from the bathroom carried through.

The park view was fine, you could still see the ocean from the balcony, but there are building apartments (I think) next door and this will take the ocean view from the side rooms. The construction from next door starts early each day par Sunday and we weren't happy abotu the 8am start on the Saturday we were there. Ask to be on the north side of the buliding!!! When the building is complete I would think the southside rooms would loose a lot of the privicy.

The hotel needs to get wireless internet, for a 5 start hotel it's bad they don't have it. I needed to do some work and it was a hassle to find a internet cafe to connect in. Also the coffee bar in the lobby needs to open earlier each day, as the other resturants don't open till 11am, sometimes you just want to grab a quick coffee in the morning.

Overall I'd stay here again, the rooms are great, a little werid sometimes but compared to a studio room at the Grand for the same price it's worth it. The staff have always been friendly, and well youy can't beat the location!!

• Stayed July 2005
Surfers Paradise, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2005

This hotel has a great position on the beachfront at Glenelg. The rooms are modern, spacious and clean, however the staff are atrocious, and the service poor. We booked for 9 days, but were asked to leave after 8 days as the hotel had overbooked. We could have stayed and argued about it, but felt it better to go to the Stamford Grand (we should have gone there in the first place). We had to call housekeeping every day, as we ran out of toilet paper, tea and towels. The rooms are only serviced in the afternoon late so towels are always in short supply. You can't park easily anywhere nearby, so the only viable option is to pay an exorbitant valet parking fee (cost us $140). The gym is very basic, no weight bearing equipment at all. The pool and steam room are good, but no natural light at all, and the floor was very slippery. Several people fell over while I was in the pool, lucky there were no serious injuries! The restaraunts are ordinary, you have to order at the counter, they don't wait at the tables. The breakfact is very basic, and the same stale and canned food is brought out every day. Summary rooms 5 star. Staff and service 2 stars max. Facilities 3 star.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2005

We somehow got an upgrade to a two-bedroom apartment from our original studio room. What a lovely surprise. The view from the apartment was breath-taking. Be there during sunset! The furniture in the room and at the hotel are designer-worthy. The staff is professional and courteous. Breakfast was delicious with standard hotel selection but with better taste. Lap pool and other gym stuff are available and never crowded. All in all, we recommend this hotel to anybody wants to stay in Glenelg area.

• Stayed March 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2004

I visit Adelaide several times a year and have found that this hotel is an excellent place to stay. The benefits of a suite are great including the laundry, full kitchen and spacious living area. This hotel has it all, from the great eateries and bars to the beach front location. One look from the balcony and you will be convinced.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2003

I could not find anywhere to lodge this on your website other than here, so I apologise if it has gone to the wrong place. My husband and I stayed at the hotel last weekend. Had a great time. Facilities were excellent. However, in the interests of safety, I felt it my duty to let you know. The wet area on level 2 has gloss tiles on the floor around the sauna, steam room and towel area. I had rather a nasty fall.
No major damage-plenty of cuts and bruises (to my ego as well as my arm). There is a sign indicating the floor gets wet and to take care, however this is not sufficient. Gloss tiles are ridiculous in such an area. Should be non slip. It is called duty of care and specified as Negligence in the OH&S act. Negligence: Foreseeable/Causation/Preventable/Reasonableness. If you can answer yes to any of these four, you are liable. It would be good if you could have a look at this situation to avoid damage to others. I did report this to reception on Sunday morning when I booked out. Regards Nicki Boden

Been to Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel? Share your experiences!