“Awesome Hotel - beautiful sea location and views” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel

You added Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel to your Saves list
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Holdfast Promenade, Glenelg, South Australia 5045, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Stay Longer and Save!
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Glenelg
Timaru, New Zealand
“Awesome Hotel - beautiful sea location and views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

These apartments are awesome with great sea views, a lovely beach and great restaurants very close by. We stayed for a couple of nights in the 3 b/r apartment in early March. They were very clean and serviced daily. Extra towels for the beach available at reception. if you want to go to the city to shop and look around, it is about 20 mins on the tram.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
OaksPlazaPier, Manager at Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Oaks Plaza Pier. We are delighted to know that you liked your stay in our ocean view apartment and enjoyed our close proximity to the beach, restaurants and the city tram. We are alos pleased to know that you found your unit clean and we look foward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Mildura
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just wanted to thank the team at Oaks Pier at Glenelg I took my parents who are in their 80's who had a week in a seaview apartment and for safety and independence needed a walk in shower. The apartment was perfect they had a fantastic week and a big thankyou to Nadia at reception who answered all my and their queries and the team in the restaurant who looked after them so well for all their meals. It is interesting that there are so few apartments with walk in showers so I was so relieved that we were able to get one as the weeks holiday would not have been possible with out it. It is something I hadn't thought about much however being a baby boomer as I age and still want to travel I'm sure that the demand for accessible showers will only increase rather than a shower over the bath as is so often the case. The food in the restaurants was enjoyed good quality and great service, along with the pool and the view. The apartment was spotless and the cleaning staff were really considerate of mum and dad. Thanks again for the care and time spent ensuring that my mum and dad had a wonderful stay. As we own an apartment near by but has stairs and live in regional Victoria I am just so relieved that they will be able to continue to enjoy family visits to Glenelg.

Room Tip: The room was on the North side so they had views over the beach and the Marina.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Plaza Pier. We are pleased to know that you had a wonderful week staying with us with your parents and happy to assist with your request of a 2 bedroom unit with a walk in shower. We are delighted to know that staff were able to assist with all your queries and I will pass on your compliments to the staff member. We once again thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

What a top spot to stay. Lots of restaurants and shops close by. Over looking the beach is just to die for. The apartment was well appointed. Clean and comfortable. Close to the airport and easy to transport for going into the city. A great place for a family holiday. The staff were friendly at reception and in all restaurants and bars.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Oaks Plaza Pier. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your unit being clean and comfortable and our close proximity to the airport and city. We are also glad to know you found our reception staff friendly and enjoyed your time in Glenelg. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Irymple, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed there for two nights in a two bedroom apartment on the third floor with an ocean view.very modern and clean rooms one queen bed and two single beds for the kids .Sit outside on the balcony and enjoy the view of the sun set over the ocean .Will stay there again as we had no issues .Over all an excellent apartment.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view with an balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Plaza Pier. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in our 2 bedroom ocean view units and found the unit modern and clean. It is certainly a wonderful sight watching the sun set over the ocean from your own balcony. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Full ocean views from a roomy balcony, roomy apartment and a quiet environment - this is as good as it gets. Make sure you book an ocean view room - well worth the extra cost. We were on the third floor over the Christmas period and whilst we heard some general noise from the beachfront pavement below it was all pretty quiet at 10 PM (South Australians are a bit like that).

The room was clean and had all the bits we required for a 4 night stay. Although try as I could the washing machine refused to start. We just made do with what we had with us.

The balcony was the star attraction. Watching the sun set over the ocean whilst have a drink was the attraction. (and something you can't do on the east coast). The king bed was comfy and in a 'virtual bedroom', made by closing 2 large sliding doors.

Staff were a little 'cold and clinical' which is not unusual for these lodgings, but always got the job done efficiently and politely. We booked through the Oaks loyalty program which is a tad cheaper than going through the third party web sites.

Glenelg has plenty of attractions and nightlife to keep you busy. Surprisingly despite being there on some very hot days there was never crowded or anywhere near capacity.

Room Tip: Just book the ocean view room. Worth every damn cent.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
OaksPlazaPier, Manager at Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Plaza Pier. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in an ocean view unit and it is truly magical watching the sun set from your own apartment balcony while having a relaxing drink. We are also happy to know that you found our staff effecient and polite. We once again thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Mildura, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

If you need to stay in Glenelg and don't like the look of this rather large obtrusive building blocking the view to the beach, stay in it. The view from the ocean view rooms is lovely, we have stayed here several times and there are always small issues. This time the parking we had booked went very smoothly, first time I think and the room was in good condition, not always the case, sometimes they look like they need a good refurnish and repaint.
the issues that we came across this time was there was no compendium in the room, so we had to ring every time we needed some information, like what time was check out and when was the pool open till.

The servicing was not done, some clean towels were placed in the bathroom and the kitchen bin was emptied. When we asked, we were told it should have been a complete service.

Would we stay again? yes it is a great position and the other issues can be forgotten over a glass of bubbly on the balcony, watching the waves lapping the shore. If you are lucky you may even get to watch some dolphins frolicking at sunset as we did once.

Just be careful of the bed side tables, ours was a chest of draws on each side of the bed that were a little taller than the bed, I gave my poor husband a huge fright one night when I knocked my head on the sharp corner in my sleep and could not talk from the shock and pain, to tell him I was OK and not having some sort of turn.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Plaza Pier. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our ocean view units and thank you for choosing to stay with us again. We appreciate your feedback and will look into any areas for improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My family stayed at Oaks Plaza Pier over the long weekend (Adelaide cup and Melbourne Labor day). The apartment hotel seemed at full capacity.

In summary, I would recommend the apartments as they are in a nice location, were comfortable, have been refurbished and we found most of the staff to be pleasant, helpful and conscientious. We would stay again, given that we enjoyed this stay and we also have a good idea of what to expect, now that we know how things work/don't work in the apartments.

There were some annoyances, briefly, that servicing/cleaning of the apartments seems to be inconsistent (really depends on who has been allocated to clean your room), there seem to be some maintenance issues (leaks, etc.), and there was an issue with room key cards continually being deactivated before we were due to check out.

**Booking apartments**
I booked approximately one month in advance (over the phone). The booking staff were very helpful and friendly. They immediately emailed me confirmation of the booking. We booked 1 x 2-bedroom apartment with an ocean view and 1 x 2-bedroom apartment that was accessible with a partial ocean view.

**Apartment choice**
We needed 2 x 2-bedroom apartments, one had to be accessible and we also needed one car park space. It seems to get a 2-bedroom accessible apartment, you get 2 interconnecting apartments (1x1-bedroom, which includes a separate seating area+kitchen+laundry facilities, balcony and 1x1 bedroom similar to a hotel room without any kitchen or balcony - it did have a mini fridge though and coffee/tea making facilities). The reason I was told we needed this configuration, was because the single bedroom had a bathroom with a walk-in shower, suitable for someone needing to use a wheelchair or walking frame. All other apartments have a shower over a bath tub, which is unsuitable for someone with a walking disability.

The reality was that the regular 2-bedroom apartment also had 2 bathrooms - one ensuite with a walk-in shower and a separate bathroom with a shower over the bath tub. I'm unsure if this is standard for all 2-bedroom apartments or whether we happened to get lucky. The website and the booking staff all say that there is only 1 bathroom in a 2-bedroom apartment and it has a shower over a bath tub set up.

Our apartments had been refurbished - modern look and quite clean when we checked in. It was a really hot weekend (mid to high 30's celcius) and the air conditioning worked really well in both apartments. Everyone in my group slept very well (even those who are light sleepers and generally don't sleep well when on holiday). The beds are quite firm, which I like. I think all the queen/king size beds are actually 2 single beds put together.

**Check-in**
Check-in seemed to go smoothly. We asked if we could have a later check-out and they were able to give us until 11am (usually 10am).

**Location**
These apartments are right on the edge of the beach in Glenelg. You can walk out of the back of the apartments, e.g. through the cafe, and after about 6 stair steps, you're on sand. There's a bit of a hike to the water (approx. 3 min walk on soft sand), but it's all flat - no dunes. Great view from an ocean view room.

One drawback is that the apartments are only about 15 mins drive from Adelaide airport. Some of the flight paths are directly past the apartments, so if you're sensitive to sound, you may find this annoying. I occasionally heard planes coming in, but they didn't sound that loud from inside my room. We actually thought this was convenient, as it meant we didn't have far to go to catch our plane.

**Cleaning of apartments**
Because we were only having a short-term stay of 3 days, we were told our apartments would be serviced/cleaned each day. This only seemed to happen for the accessible apartment. My parents and sister stayed in the regular 2-bedroom apartment and they said the first day, the floor was not vacuumed; the second day, the floor was still not vacuumed, only half the bins had been emptied, my sister's bed had only been half made, there had been some used plates/cups sitting on the table and bench from breakfast and none of these had been stacked in the dishwasher, and even though we had stacked a number of dishes in the dishwasher the previous night, the dishwasher had not been turned on. The person who was responsible for servicing my apartment was not the same person who serviced my parents' apartment (I know this because I happened to meet the guy who cleaned my apartment as I was walking out that morning and my parents said a woman had knocked on their door and said she was there to clean their apartment).

**Maintenance issues**
When I first checked into my apartment, there was a pool of water around the plug hole in the middle of the bathroom. I thought this was from the room recently being cleaned (just prior to me checking in). The pool of water was still there when I returned that evening. After some investigation, I realised the toilet cistern was leaking. I told reception (no maintenance on the weekend) and the manager said he would put a bucket or something underneath the dripping pipe. He ended up putting a large salad type bowl, which worked well - I did have to empty it each morning and night but at least I didn't have cistern water constantly leaking over the bathroom floor.

While at the reception desk, I overheard another guest saying water was leaking from the ceiling in the bathroom when she turned on the air conditioner. She didn't know if it was coming through the light fitting but when she turned off the air conditioner, the leaking stopped. I don't know what happened with this, but apparently there was so much water leaking that it was flooding the bathroom floor.

**Parking**
We booked a carpark space for the 3 nights we were there. This gave us a specific spot within the secure parking area of the public car park, which is underneath the apartments. For us, it was convenient to know that we always had a spot in which to park, so was worth the $20/day charge. I think it costs $20/day to park in the public car park but you can't be sure of getting a spot, particularly as it is close to the restaurants and shops nearby.

**Cafe**
My brother and sis-in-law had breakfast in the cafe one morning. They thought it was ok - nothing terribly special. It was handy to be able to get a coffee in the morning and the coffee was fine, although sometimes there was a bit of a wait. Next door are a range of restaurants and cafes (over the bridge) and just down the road is Jetty road, which has many restaurants and eateries and the tram line to the CBD.

**Room keys**
We got 2 sets of room keys for each apartment. For some reason, the room keys for the apartment I was sharing would stop working each morning. We would have to go to reception each morning to get them reset. The second time this happened, I asked the reception person what was going on. She checked and said it looked like the wrong end date had been programmed, so she reset the date to be 2 days after we were due to check-out. I didn't have a problem after this but it seemed a very basic mistake that this problem was occurring at all. I noticed other guests having the same difficulty with their cards (you need to use the key card in the lifts to be able to go to your floor).

**Check out**
We had difficulty checking out. Apparently (as explained to us by the manager), if you use a credit card for the 'hold' when you check-in, the full amount of your stay is frozen on your account and is not 'available' to you. When you make payment on check-out, the amount is not released until after the payment for your stay is processed. This means if you have put a specific amount on your card to pay for the hotel (e.g. using a debit card) and you used that card for the 'hold', there will not be enough 'available' money on the card when you check-out because that amount has been frozen and won't be released until the check-out payment has been processed. We had more than one card, so it wasn't a problem, but if you only have one credit card and have a limited amount on it, you need to be aware of this or you might not have enough 'available' credit when it comes time to check out.

**Car park**
It's gated, so you can't get in from the main road without a code. However, once inside, it's only secure from the public part of the car park if guests close the connecting gate. I think the whole time we stayed there, we only found the connecting gate closed twice. You get a voucher to put on your dashboard, which indicates you have been allocated a particular space in the car park. The last day we were there, someone parked in our allocated space - it didn't seem to be a problem though as reception told us just to park as close as possible to our space and we wouldn't get into trouble - apparently this happens a lot - seems some guests don't know how to read the numbers painted on each car space :p.

**Tips**
Pay a bit more and get an ocean view. Make sure you have a balcony - if it's not too hot, it's a great place to sit an relax with a drink, or to have a meal while enjoying the view.
If you want the security of knowing you'll always be able to park under the hotel at the end of the day, book a car space when you book your apartment.
You might want to confirm how the 'hold' works if using a credit card when you check-in.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have a balcony, which are great for relaxing on.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed feedback on your recent stay at Oaks Plaza Pier. It is wonderful to read that you found the apartment comfortable and enjoyed our location with your family. We are also delighted to read that you found our staff to be pleasant, helpful and conscientious. We appreciate your feedback and look into any areas for improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon to the property.

Been to Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel? Share your experiences!