“Surprisingly Good Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Grand Adelaide

You added Stamford Grand Adelaide to your Saves list
Stamford Grand Adelaide
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Moseley Square, Glenelg, South Australia 5045, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Glenelg
Vienna, Virginia
“Surprisingly Good Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

After reading some reviews I was a little apprehensive about booking this hotel, but did so anyway because of the location for our business needs. I am so very happy that we booked the Stamford! Our room was clean, nicely appointed, and large ( ocean view w/ balcony). The view was spectacular. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. The location wa great for leisurely beach walks, restaurants, and shopping.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear JAR59

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We pride ourselves on our stunning, absolute beachfront position and I am delighted to learn that your stay with us was enjoyable.

We look forward to your next stay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stay at the Stamford Grand every time we are in Adelaide. The rooms are slightly dated but always clean and comfortable. The best part of this hotel is the location and views. On one side you have ocean views and city views on the other side both views are great.

You are also walking distance to some great restaurants and the tram which you can take in to the city.

The service at the hotel has always been very professional and check in and out is always quick.

If you like coastal locations, long walks along the beach and jetty this is a great Adelaide / Glenelg location to stay.

Stayed June 2014
Dear Jeff M

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We pride ourselves on our great location with rooms overlooking both the ocean and the Adelaide Hills.

We look forward to your next stay

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The check in service was reasonably fast, The self parking car park is a 20 second walk from the hotel. There is only $5 dollars difference between self park and valet parking per day so it does make the self parking seem expensive. The room I had on the 7th floor was large enough with a desk, couch and a small dining table with two chairs. The room was very clean and well appointed. The bed was large and very comfortable with a medium to soft mattress. The hairdryer was a brand name but had seen better days with limited airflow and the nozzle had gone missing.
The only issue I had with the Stamford was with finding value or flavor in the two meals i had at the hotel. The first meal, a $30.00 Linguine Seafood Marinara whilst it had a reasonable amount of prawns fish and calamari it did not have any flavor in the Spicy tomato sauce that was i felt an very important part of the meal.. Maybe i was supposed to squeeze the supplied tomato sauce sachet to obtain flavor. The second meal was a $28.00 chicken schnitzel with Mash and a Mushroom sauce. The mushroom sauce was tasty but the crumbed chicken was very ordinary to say the least.

Dear Adrian M

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

While I am pleased you enjoyed our guests rooms I am disappointed to learn of your dining experience. I thank you for bringing this to our attention and I would like to assure you that your concern raised has been taken on board and addressed with my Food & Beverage Director.

Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back some time soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I've previously given the Stamford Grand a review with a 4 star rating, but wanted to upgrade it on the basis of a small improvement to service and the consistently excellent stays I've had here.

I've been staying here once or twice a month this year - it's my business hotel of choice in Adelaide - and there is a strong consistency to the experience. They've also started taking room service orders directly via reception, which means immediate responsiveness and only one call (rather than the call back).

This hotel is always comfortable, friendly and responsive. I definitely aim for an ocean view room if possible as the rooms seem a little bigger and brighter. The Stamford is great for sole travellers as it has a warm ambience. This goes from the soft, comfy furnishings to the warm lighting and the happy, friendly staff who respond quickly to any requests. The room service deliveries are always top notch, too. Well cooked, fresh, good portion sizes and delicious! The amenities (tea & coffee, toiletries) are handy. The concierge is usually ready to open the door for you, give you a hand with your luggage, lend you an umbrella or hail a taxi. I really look forward to my stays here and it's a bit of a 'home away from home' for me. It's difficult to find a hotel with real warmth, professionalism and good aesthetics at a reasonable price, but this hotel manages it so well.

I have three suggestions for other travellers:

Definitely go for an ocean view room - I find the city view rooms a touch depressing in comparison. They often have good specials on their website.

If you're tossing up between the Stamford and the Oaks next door, the Oaks has larger rooms and a kitchenette but the furnishings are pretty hard and you have to byo ambience. There is no real service to speak of. This might be a good choice if you're staying with your family. The Stamford is smaller, prettier and more comfy, with service at every corner and a better choice if you are staying alone or as a couple, and can benefit from the time and space-saving amenities supplied.

Thirdly - check your kettle before using. I always rinse any room kettle out before using, and once I had some silt and sediment in it. I rang and they brought me up a new one immediately and apologised.

My only suggestion for the hotel would be to improve the instructions for the air conditioner. The operation panel is a little confusing at first visit until you trial and error your way through, and one of the other guests at my last stay was concerned by its volume...they didn't realise you could turn the fan onto low. Please thank the staff for being so consistently welcoming, terrific and kind.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are prettier and lighter. They also seem a bit bigger - is it just my imagination?
Dear Karasch

I appreciate you taking the time to leave this feedback, I am thrilled to know that you had a wonderful and enjoyable stay at our hotel and we appreciate your positive comments regarding all facets of your visit.

I will certainly take the air-conditioning suggestion into consideration.

It is rewarding to learn that our staff delivered on service during your stay and I will be sure to share your positive feedback with the team.

We hope your memorable experience with us will continue to bring you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Stayed one night here. Arrived mid afternoon to find one member of staff on front desk and a long line of guests waiting to check in. Poor first impression. It always disappoints me to see other members of staff milling in and out of the check in area, apparently performing clerical work when there are guests waiting to be checked in. It's a sign of poor management leadership.

Sea facing room is perfectly adequate. Clean. The hotel is right on the beach and I really enjoyed the location & will never stay in Adelaide city again. The tram goes from the hotel to the city. Taking a car south along the coast and within an hour there are numerous little beach towns to explore.

I would stay here again when in Adelaide. If the front desk situation doesn't change I'll move on.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear Drmrw

Please accept my apologies for the inefficiencies that you encountered during check in, which I have subsequently addressed with my Front Office Manager.

adealaide sth aust
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

On first impressions a pretty old fashioned beachside hotel on booking in the porter didint even acknowledge us he walked past then stood around whilst we heaved out bags to the lift. The room was okay clean enough but with a view over the carpark. The jacuzzi was out of order for two days and on entering the bar the place was empty and musty. Upon complaint we were told they will be renovating soon and were given a free carpark for our inconvenience. Not good enough for the prices charged I am afraid.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking ocean.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Janet J

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems that you experienced during your recent stay. I am very disappointed that your experience was not all that you expected. I would like to assure you that all of these concerns have been addressed and action has been taken to prevent a recurrence.

Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated, and we hope to have the opportunity welcoming you back some time soon.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed for two nights with a group of friends. Booked an ocean view king room. We were given 902 on the 9th floor. Big room with couch and table with chairs. Comfortable bed, good bathroom. Beautiful view of the ocean and jetty however disappointed that due to the location of our room our view was obstructed totally to the left by the hotel itself and partially to the right. We had people back to our room for drinks and next time I would book a balcony. The weather even in June was still quite mild. We tried to upgrade on arrival but as it was Queens birthday weekend it was booked out. The hotel hosts functions and I think they had a formal on the Saturday night as there was a lot of young people about. Our room was near the elevator and we could hear the ding. Towels could do with replacing as they are showing signs of wear. Wifi in the room requires the purchase of a 'plan' which for a major hotel is poor as most have free wifi these days. However there was free wifi in the bar on the corner ground floor which is a great place to sit, listen to music and watch the sunset over the ocean. Later at night it becomes a club with DJ and $4 vodkas!. Breakfast buffet at $31.50 seemed pricey and we chose to eat at the cafes on the corner across the street which did great food for reasonable prices. Parking was $20 per night across the road but you did have access to your car. Short walk to the tram which takes you into Adelaide. In summer spend an afternoon on the balcony at the Surf Life Saving Club.

Room Tip: Book an ocean view balcony on the bar end of the hotel for a better view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kathy B

I am disappointed your stay was marred by noise from our elevator. I will advise my Chief Engineer of this issue and we will endeavour to rectify the problem.

Been to Stamford Grand Adelaide? Share your experiences!