“Getting tired” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Grand Adelaide

You added Stamford Grand Adelaide to your Saves list
Stamford Grand Adelaide
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Moseley Square, Glenelg, South Australia 5045, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Glenelg
Melbourne, Australia
“Getting tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We've stayed at the Grand on and off for 20 years, almost since its first glory days. It's still our favorite destination in Adelaide, but for the location, rather than what the hotel itself has to offer. It's starting to fray round the edges -- little things, like a towel rack that's on an angle, and could come out of the wall at any time. Little things, like the availability of free wi-fi in the lobby and lobby bar being cancelled. No free wi-fi anywhere (like most luxury city hotels in Australia -- they could learn something from a lot of regional motels, which have free wi-fi throughout).
What threw us on our last visit was the lighting. We were in a junior suite (king bed, sofa, plenty of room to swing a cat) with a city view (far more interesting than the sea). So, enter the suite: good lights for the entry vestibule. But where is the switch for the main room light? There isn't one, because there is no main room light. The only lights are the two reading lights each side of the bed and the two lights flanking the wall mirror at the other end of the room. Now cop this: all four are operated by two switches on one side of the bed. If you want to turn on the mirror lights you have to walk to the other end of the room to the bed. If you want to turn off one bed light -- well, you can't. The bed light switch operates both lights. I want to sleep, my wife wants to read. Can't be done.
I have the number of a good electrician if the Grand wants to call me.

Room Tip: Get a city view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Swaggie

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We pride ourselves on our stunning, absolute beachfront position and I am delighted to learn that your stay with us was enjoyable. For your information you will be pleased to note that we are planning for a refurbishment of various areas of the hotel including our guest rooms.

I have also taken on board your comments regarding the guest rooms and these will be taken into consideration during our upcoming refurbishments.

Thank you again for your feedback and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide in the future.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I had a great view of the ocean, and enjoyed the view for 5 days.
The bed was comfy, and the food very nice.
The biggest downside was the $10 charge for room service delivery, I have never paid more than $4 for room service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Julie S

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. We appreciate our guest’s comments as they enable us to identify areas of our service and facilities that may be improved.

I have taken on board your comments about our room service prices, rest assured that I have subsequently brought this to the attention of my Food and Beverage Director to review.

Julie, thank you again for your feedback and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide in the future.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

A romantic overnighter on a special deal was made all the more special with an upgrade. A regular room was booked but the Stamford upgraded up to a junior suite. The young staff was friendly and happy. Even Matthew had a sense of humour. Great value.

Dear MissJaneAustralia

I am so pleased to read we could demonstrate the level of service we strive to achieve during your stay and that your expectations were met.

Jane, thank you again for your feedback and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide in the future.

Western Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Have stayed several times at the grand in the past a number of years ago, however this time the room was disappointing, the carpet was probably the best point, staff were OK, and after checking in and a 5 hour drive to get there we wanted a quiet drink to relax the only bar that was open was the front bar and that was in the middle of refurbishment, no lounge bar.

Dear Navigator245

I am disappointed to read that your experience may not have been all that you expected, your feedback has granted us the opportunity to address certain aspects of our operation that obviously requires attention. Rest assured I have addressed the issues you have raised with my Management team to ensure these issues are addressed.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Room is comfortable and nice view of the ocean.
However I ordered a jug of milk through room service. Received a cup of milk. Asked for another but they never came back.
Because of the 11am checkout I booked here especially to catch up on sleep. However at 8am sharp tradesmen started hammering above me. I rang and asked them what was going on. They said they would try and get it sorted. But they didnt. The hammering continued for 20 min. A phonecall from the desk assured me I would be "looked after".
Upon checking out 9am there was not even an apology or anything. I had to bring the issue up. The girl on the desk new nothing about the issue. She just apologised and gave me the managers business card.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Olivia

While I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your room and view I am disappointed by the let down of our in room dining as well as the excess noise. Rest assures I will address this with my Management team to ensure these issues are addressed.

Olivia, thank you again for your feedback and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide in the future.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Was there in Oct 2012 and the beautiful Adelaide weather helped as well.
Not sure about the price paid (it was for work) but the hotel although is in a good location, it is a bit run down.

Good breakfast spread provided and access to public transport just beside (tram takes you straight into CBD)

Room Tip: Ask for the seaview rooms as the one I got was overlooking the car park!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Kashnava

At Stamford, we pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service so I was pleased to read that you were satisfied with the service provided during your stay and that your expectations were met.

Kashnava, thank you again for your feedback and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide in the future.

Perth WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Location very good, cleanliness and service great, but noise terrible from the night club downstairs, continual noise all night until 3-4am, we knew it was a worry when we noticed 3 police cars and three Police Officers parked outside from 9pm and still there at midnight. People yelling and shouting clearly heard from our room six floors up. this is not the place to be for a quiet relaxing holiday!

Room Tip: DONT have a room anywhere near Moseley Square side above the nightclub Went for a quiet drink in th...
Dear Julie

Thank you for taking the time to post a guest response following your recent stay with us. We appreciate our guest’s comments as they enable us to identify areas of our service and facilities that may be improved.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced during your stay but I was please to hear that my Food & Beverage Manager was able to rectify the issue and that you were able to turn your stay into an enjoyable one

Julie, thank you again for your feedback and I hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide in the future.

Kind Regards

Been to Stamford Grand Adelaide? Share your experiences!