“Disappointment of a special break” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Grand Adelaide

You added Stamford Grand Adelaide to your Saves list
Stamford Grand Adelaide
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Moseley Square, Glenelg, South Australia 5045, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Glenelg
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Disappointment of a special break”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Two night stay at this beach front hotel was disappointing, sea view room had windows locked and unable to get fresh air. Kingsize bed with light switch on only one side, appalling design. The hotel reception offered a lamp, but this never appeared. Bedside phone not working despite being reported. Carpet in room worn and visibly wrinkled as one walked into the room, giving a disappointing initial impression. Quantity of shower gel mean in such a hotel. When using the swimming pool in the hotel, two male swimmers (with large tattoos - one with large "Not afraid to die young" ) were drinking alcohol whilst actually in the pool at 5pm; this is in appropriate and off putting for femaile guests. No staff on hand.
Light lunch in Promenade Restaurant, served slowly when only 3 other tables in use. Incorrect drinks brought.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Rodgpeace

Thank you for posting your review and also for the feedback we received from you directly following your stay. By now you would have received my personal email addressing your concerns. We are currently in the final stages of the design process for a long awaited refurbishment of our guest rooms with building works to commence on prototype rooms at the end of this month. I trust you will take up my emailed offer in the future and we can look forward to hosting you again to improve your opinion of us.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of nights as a mini getaway. It was mid-week, so most of the food outlets in the area were closed by 9-10pm, which was a shame as we didn't arrive until rather late on the first night so had to order room service, which took almost an hour to arrive (wedges and something else, which as a cook I know doesn't take long to prepare) and was soooo overpriced as an initial cost, then we were slogged an extra $6 just to order it! Valet parking was also ridiculous.....you'd think being midweek and having booked two nights there'd be a package deal or discount of some description, but no. We were charged full price per night. The room was quite small and dated, quite a letdown after staying at the Plaza in the city a few times, we were expecting a lot more. We won't be wasting our money here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Leah D

Thank you for posting your feedback following your stay late last year. I was disappointed to read that we didn’t meet your expectations in this instance. You might be pleased to note that we are about to commence the refurbishment of our guest rooms with construction work on prototype rooms to commence shortly. We have also removed the tray charge from our in room dining service since you stayed. The four level car park adjoining the hotel is used for valet parking but also has a number of self park options. If you do choose to stay with us again please enquire upon booking about the regular breakfast and parking inclusions on offer. I do hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide in the future.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel is just great. I have stayed here countless times over the years and it has always met expectations. Restaurant food is also great. Views are spectacular.
Rooms could do with a bit of updating in relation to the windows. They don't open to allow the fresh sea air in - at least I couldn't figure out how to open them.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear capt_mofo

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was pleased to read that you are a regular and you always enjoy your stays with us. You will be pleased to note that we are about to embark on a refurbishment of all of our guest rooms with designs currently being finalised and work to commence shortly. We look forward to welcoming you upon your next stay.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Arrived t a very friendly welcome. The staff were very helpful and friendly.The ocean view King room was spotless and the view fantastic.free self parking in our package was just across the road close to lobby. Buffet breakfast was fresh and had a great selection. The only thing I could fault was they advertise free phone charges for guest. You can make use of this if you have a mobile about 10yrs old. no chargers with micro usb. Not a big problem. All in All a great stay. We will return

Room Tip: Ocean view is great.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Pete

Thank you for your great review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and plan to return. I’m sure you can appreciate that there are many different kinds of phone chargers required these days so we find that some of the more popular kinds disappear more quickly than others. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand in the near future.

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed with my partner on valentines day and was absolutely appalled with the condition of the room. There was pigeon feces all over terrace area and stains all over the carpet and the curtains in the room. After asking for an upgrade I was moved to a room that was worse than the previous one, sporting weird stains in the shower/bath and a nice view of more pigeons and some air conditioning units. After another upgrade I noticed that the balcony door was broken and wouldn't open, also the room was unclean. After giving up on the room situation I headed to the pool, which was also sporting bird feces and the odd daring pigeon who would decide to have a drink. There was only one staff member that I recall being friendly, the rest I encountered were rude and snippy. I left that day on a very sour note. The worst part of all? Today I turn on TV to watch the news and I see an official warning to everybody who has stayed at this hotel to be checked for typhoid. Are you serious? Next time I'm staying at The Crowne.

Dear Charlotte
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am disappointed that your experience was not all that you expected. Regrettably, the pigeon population within the entire Holdfast Bay council area is a problem and our pool deck is one of their preferred locations. We are currently installing netting to prevent these birds nesting as part of our eradication programme. To clarify, the health alert you refer to was distributed by the South Australian Health Department who confirm that there is an extremely low risk of the infection being passed on. This alert was distributed for the benefit of doctors so that they could be aware should anyone present with specific symptoms. They have suggested that you contact them directly on 1300 232 272 if you have any concerns so that they can explain the infection in more detail.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand for our 8th wedding anniversary in a VIP ocean view suite. We were on the 9th floor and had a wonderful ocean view. The room is definately in need of an upgrade. The carpet in the bedroom looked 80's and so did the curtains and tiles in the living area. The bed and pillows though were very comfortable and I had a very good sleep which isn't always the case when I stay in hotels. My hubby and I ordered dinner in our room and didn't enjoy it at all which was a bit of a shame. I had one of their magnificent 7 burgers but it just wasn't very good. Breakfast on the other hand was amazing so food was a bit inconsistent. The hotel knew it was our anniversary because I told them so when making the booking. We didn't get a congratulations or complimentary anything when checking in which also was a bit disappointing. We were asked if we'd like a newspaper in the morning which never arrived. Overall, it was still a nice stay but the personal touches were not there and I'd recommend exploring the area to find a nice restaurant to have dinner at.

• Stayed February 2013
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear ankapianka

Congratulations on your 8th wedding anniversary and thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us. I do apologise that your special celebration was not acknowledged by my team. This is very unusual and indicates a communication breakdown between departments which I have addressed. I have also shared your feedback regarding your inconsistent dining experiences with my Director of Food & Beverage and Executive Chef. I trust we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Stamford Grand in the future so you can experience the attention to detail for which we are better known.

Australian Capital Territory, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Great staff and service, fantastic views, lovely spacious rooms and great spa and pool. I'll be back! Nothing to fault and very good value- newspapers and all the usual standards from a higher quality hotel

Room Tip: A room facing the ocean is best
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear StudioQ

Thank you for your lovely comments following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much that you’ll be back – especially all the way from Switzerland. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand when you’re next in Australia.

Kind regards

Been to Stamford Grand Adelaide? Share your experiences!