“Excellent service, great location, smoky room & a little tired looking” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Grand Adelaide

You added Stamford Grand Adelaide to your Saves list
Stamford Grand Adelaide
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Moseley Square, Glenelg, South Australia 5045, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Glenelg
N.E Victora
“Excellent service, great location, smoky room & a little tired looking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Excellent and very polite service from concierge and reception. I booked a double room as I was travelling with my children. The beds were comfortable, sea view room was ENOURMOUS with a great sized bathroom. There was a large ottoman couch that my 2nd child chose to sleep on instead of sharing a bed. Heaps of room.

Room did reek of cigarettes though. I contacted reception and they placed some sort of air purifier in the room immediately. This did improve things but the room was pretty smelly.

The hotel lives up to its name in the foyer, very Grand looking and quite lovely. It's time for some renovations and update the decor but I am sure management are well aware of this.

Pillows were like bricks though I did not bring this to their attention. I couldn't be bothered, but I am quite sure that it would have been dealt with if I had.

Overall, great place to stay and we got a bargain on WOTIF. Would not have liked to pay more than the $239 that we paid however. Their rate for that room was $290 and it was not worth it. Would definitely stay there again due to location, though only at the reduced rate.

Room Tip: Check out WOTIF - it really was much cheaper than the hotel direct. Double room excellent for childr...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Phil S, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for having taken the time to provide us with your comments and feedback. We appreciate your comments as they enable us to identify areas of service and facilities that may be improved. I am delighted to hear that you and your family were pleased with your room. I am disappointed that your room smelt of smoke, however, you will be pleased to note that we are currently in the process of turning all guest floors to non-smoking. For your information, we are currently planning on upgrading various areas of the hotel in the near future. Thank you again for your comments and feedback, and we look forward to hosting your stay with us again in the near future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed in an ocean room view on the 11 floor, fantastic view. Staff were very helpful, & prompt in their service. Anytime I rang & requested something they came to my aid straight away. Room was clean and spacious, beds were comfy as well. We loved swimming in the pool and spa (even though it was 35D pool was a bit too cool for my liking), but the 5 year old daughter didn't mind. Loved how the hotel was central to all the cafe's and restaurants, walking distance to everything. Only thing I was disappointed in was having to pay extra $20 to park at the hotel each day/night. I thought we had paid enough already, I think it should have been included in the stay cost. What recomend families, friends and couples to stay at this fine establishment anytime.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Phil S, Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for having taken the time to provide us with your feedback and comments. At Stamford, we pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service so I was pleased to read that you were satisfied with the service provided during your stay and that your expectations were met. As you already know, we are situated in a wonderful location, right on the foreshore of Adelaide’s most popular beach, so I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed the location. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the extra costs of valet parking, Thank you again for providing us with your comments, and we look forward to hosting your stay with us again in the future.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Have stayed quite a few times - great little getaway 45 mins from home - checked in with ease - room was very clean and beds super comfy. View was just beautiful looking out at glenelg beach. Bathrooms little outdated but very clean. Breakfast divine - worth getting it included in your package if you can. Always a good stay if you get a special - rooms can be expensive at certain times of the year !

Room Tip: Ocean View and ask for a high floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I appreciate you having taken the time to post your comments and feedback. I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our wonderful location situated right on the foreshore of Adelaide’s most popular beach, so I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the location. I am also pleased to learn that you enjoyed your breakfast at the Promenade restaurant. Thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Hamilton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Nice ground floor entrance however it all goes down hill once you enter the lift to go up to your room (that's if you can get the lift to work). The rooms are in need of a make over, beds are hard budget models but the worst is when you turn the air conditioning on. It is some old system that sounds like you have a jet plane in your room. We couldn't stand it on so had to sleep with it off and cooked. And don't plan on opening the windows because they don't work. The car park is an extra $15 a day. I must not forget to mention the rude staff. Very unhelpful. This hotel is only a 3 star. I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Do a room inspection.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Phil S, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you having taken the time to provide us with your comments and feedback. However, I am disappointed to learn that you found our beds uncomfortable, and the air-conditioning to be noisy. I have forwarded your comments to the Maintenance Manager for his attention and you will be pleased to note that we are planning a soft refurbishment and replacing beds in our guest rooms in the near future. We are also undergoing a replacement program of our air-conditioning units this year. Please accept my sincere apologies if you found some of our staff to be rude, this is not indicative of the customer service that we strive to achieve. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back, should you grant us the opportunity to host you again.
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

The restaurant was chosen mainly for the view, thank goodness it was a fine but windy day, as the service in this restaurant was appalling.
From a waiter who thought clearing plates was way beneath him to kitchen staff who delivered the wrong meals to the four of us. This was an expensive lunch with the usual practice of having to pay extra for vegetables and no bread supplied.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and comments. I am sorry to learn about your experience at the Promenade Restaurant. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inexcusable service you received whilst dining at the hotel. This is not what we strive to achieve. I have forwarded your comments onto the Food and Beverage Director so this issue doesn’t occur in the future. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Perth Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Stayed at the Stamford Glenelg for a couple of nights. Booked a delxue ocean balcony room which overlooked Glenelg beach. The view is sensational from this hotel which is right on the beach and in the midst of Glenelg if yoiu don;t want to stay in the city which is half an hour by tram away. The hotel is an older style hotel, beds were comfortable, note shower is over a bath, not sure if all rooms are that way or not, may impact those that are elderly. The room has a balcony as stated and for something called a deluxe ocean balcony room and for this star hotel it would have been nice to have something to sit on on the balcony, jusst a small table and 2 chairs, but they had nothing and it didn't feel right taking the fabric chairs outside. The other issue we had were the swipe cards in the lift, it was painful as quite often we were doing it the wrong way, they need the ones that you just flash in front, rather than swipe, we encountered others that were having the same issues as us. You need to swipe slowly.

Dear Guest,

I appreciate you having taken the time to post your comments. We pride ourselves on our wonderful location situated right on the foreshore of Adelaide’s most popular beach, so I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the location. We have taken on board your comments regarding placing furniture on the balcony and replacing swipe cards in our lifts. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to hosting your stay with us in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Extremely Dissapointed with this Hotel. Travel a lot around with work and let me tell you this one does not even come close to a 5 star hotel in service or standered although the price is high.
Pros : * Reception staff were friendly
* The Room Service on our 2nd & 3rd Days were good.
* The Location is Good
Cons : * Air Condition Was not working when we arrived at the hotel and it took them 4-5hrs to fix it plus a lot of attitude from the staff for this.
* Toilet was not flushed after cleaning and you could see things you didn't want to see
* A chair in the room was a broken
* They charge extra for toileteries.
* Pool was so dirty even after requesting to get it cleaned was not cleaned the next day.
* For Breakfast i asked if we need to make a booking which i was told they have enough room. When we went there i was told we only have 30mins cause our table was booked by someone else..Funniest thing i heard ever.
* To Top it off there Valet Parking damaged one of our cars and i received a mail form one of there manager saying they are not liable for it although they signed and wrote car was in Good order when they picked it. We are talking about a vehicle which is only 2 months old.
* Rooms were small cramped up

Once the Holiday was over i wrote to the Manager of the Hotel which i received a letter saying he was very sorry (which i appreciate) and they would give me complementary Breakfast if i want to come back...My Question after all that why would i go Back?????

Room Tip: Avoid if you can
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Phil S, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Dear Guest,
I am genuinely disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay due to the issues that you encountered. Some of which were unforeseen; mechanical failures with our air-conditioning and the plumbing problems with your toilet. Similar plumbing issues were found in other rooms on the same floor and it was widespread and not isolated to your room alone. My maintenance manager has since rectified the issue on this floor.
The other issues you made mention of have been addressed with the respective department Managers to ensure no recurrences of cleanliness and of staff service issues. In relation to your vehicle, this was unfortunate, however, it was inconclusive that the damage was actually caused by one of our staff members. I understand that you may have some reservations about staying with us in the future but trust that we may look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide so that we can show the service we generally are known for and win back your confidence.

Been to Stamford Grand Adelaide? Share your experiences!