“Great hotel reception staff let it down” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel Mackay Marina

You added Clarion Hotel Mackay Marina to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel Mackay Marina
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mulherin Drive | Mackay Marina, Mackay, Queensland 4740, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Transfers
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Mackay
Perth Australia
“Great hotel reception staff let it down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

We stayed at the Clarion for a total of two weeks as we were here for business. We asked to look at the rooms prior to booking because of the extended stay we did not want to be disappointed. We booked an executive spa room and we thought this was by far the best and these are the reasons why: the rooms are at the front of the building giving the best views over marina and sea. Separate bedroom, full kitchen and own laundry. The bedroom has huge plasma tv and smaller tv in lounge. A previous persons review said the tv was small - I am not sure if since then they have replaced their TV'S. Also previous person said towels not good. Ours were great thick towels - so maybe they have rectified this as well.
Only thing I can said that we did not like about Clarion was staff attitude - but this was mainly on reception. The manager is truely rude - and has very rude and abrupt manner on the phone. When I phoned down to ask if they could print off two pages from an email for me the manager talked to me like I was a complete waste of time even though I went out of my way to be polite. The restaurant staff were polite and friendly.
Otherwise this hotel is really magnificient and the best in town. We looked at them all as we spend eight months of the year living in hotels.

Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

I stayed at the Clarion for 1 night, in preparation for a meeting at a nearby office the following morning.

Arriving at approx 11PM due to flight delays in Brisbane and dropping off colleagues in Mackay, it was fantastic to be able to order a proper meal through room service at this hour. My colleagues who stayed in town were unable to get food and ended up with a grease-fix at a 24hr truckstop, while I was able to enjoy some delicious barramundi. Arriving hungry, late at night, the room service left me with an very good impression of the hotel.

The room (suite) was large, including separate living/dining room, kitchenette and a separate bedroom with queen size bed. The room was very comfortable and in an excellent state of repair, with lift access via keycard. My room had a large balcony with harbour views. The large bathroom had a washing machine and dryer installed, should one need these facilities, and the mini-bar was well stocked.

I had brought my own breakfast, so did not sample breakfast in the restaurant, which is located near the swimming pool on the ground floor.

After our meetings, we came back to the hotel for drinks and snacks with our client, however the service in the restaurant was patchy, not as polished as one would expect from the rest of the property.

I would definitely choose to stay here again if in the area.

• Liked — Late night room service available
  • Disliked — Patch service in Restaurant/Bar
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

I stayed at the Clarion for a stopover in Mackay earlier this month and found everything to be as expected for this price range and standard of accommodation.The Hotel is about 4-5 kms from the main centre of Mackay and is situated on the Marina looking out to the Ocean.The Room was well laid out and the Bathroom was clean.The Breakfast was ok with the standard fare although the Hotel was virtually empty so all the Hot food was virtually untouched and becoming very sloppy just sitting there.The three waiters were looking for things to do with only two people having Breakfast so it was quite amusing watching how many times they could straighten the Salt and Pepper shakers on each table!!.The posistion of the Hotel is a bit out of the way of all the local action but along the Boardwalk there are a number of Restaurants and a Bar which Im sure would all be fantastic in summer sitting outside watching the Boats but on a freezing winter night there was not much action at all.Overall it is not a bad place to stay but really Mackay is not a Tourist destination and is basically a mining town on the coast these days.

• Liked — Clean Rooms,nice outlook
  • Disliked — TV sets from K-Mart
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

Let me start of by saying most hotels in Mackay seem to be very overpriced and the Clarion is cetainly no exception. Whe you are charging your customers over $200 a night for a standard room you would hope that the service and amenities where of a high standard.

The service levels are ok, but certainly nothing above average. The rooms are starting to look a little tired, with the cheapest televisions that money can buy. This would normally not bother me, but iwth the opening ceremony of the Olympics, I was a little disappointed. The towels on the first night must have been on their last rotation, as the next day they where of a much better standard. Bad towels are a sure sign of a hotel that is past its best.

Overall I would recommend people to either stay in the city or head up to the northern beaches. There is really nothing to do or really see at the Marina.

• Liked — Clean, view
  • Disliked — Too expensive, thin towels
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
QLD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

We last stayed at the Clarion in July. The rooms are nice and the hotel is in a beautiful position at Mackay Marina.
Everytime we have stayed with out 2 young Boys we have had problems with the staff. They are very unattentive and not helpful at all. One stay we had we were spoken to so poorly by a resturant employee for Inquiring in regard to a childrens price for breakfast (usually hotels give a price according to age) well not here you are actually treated like a moron for even asking. I felt humiliated and angry. We left and enjoyed a beautiful breakfast at a cafe in the Marina with friendly staff.

We live in a Mining town and frequent Mackay often for shopping we would love to base our family out of the Clarion due to its relaxing position however due to the staff's lack of respect for guests we unfortunatly donot stay there anymore. My advice to the Clarion would be to train your staff in some customer Service and general manners. You have a wonderful hotel but your staff are letting you down.

• Liked — The location it is beautiful the Marina has a great village feel
  • Disliked — The Staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Barwon Heads, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2007

Firstly, I'll declare my bias...I got upgraded to the penthous executive suite and still paid bottom of the line rack rate, so it was obvious that I enjoyed my stay. Obviously my room/s were brilliant, but the swimming pool area and cafe are 1st rate. Great location. Would recommend staying here, even in the standard rooms.

Stayed November 2007
Brisbane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

I have stayed here 4 times since it opened as a business customer - last trip we negotiated a special rate for one extra night as I needed to stay on one more night. This was all confirmed by phone before I arrived. On check out the rate was not honored and I was treated as a complete lier! I paid the outrageous tarrif as there was no one at 7.00am available to assist me. No phone call follow up either!
While this property is running at 99% occupancy due to the mining boom the staff & management can be as rude as they like. This hotel also fails to honor the Group's award program as well. It is a real pity that management has adopted this take it or leave it attitude. This is the only property that I have had issues with after 2 years using the Group's properties.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff attitude!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Clarion Hotel Mackay Marina? Share your experiences!