“The ONLY place to stay in Mackay” 5 of 5 stars

Alara Motor Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   52 Nebo Road, Mackay, Queensland 4740, Australia   |
Ranked #6 of 27 hotels in Mackay
Brisbane, Australia
“The ONLY place to stay in Mackay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Mackay is a mining hub in Queensland, and as such has a very competitive (and relatively pricy) Hotel/Motel market. I have nothing but praise for the Alara. Although set up as a motel, the facility definitely has a hotel feel to it.

Great service with being able to order room service whilst I was driving down, so was hot and fresh for my arrival. The room was clean, tidy and comfortable. Just bare in mind that prices are a little higher, however in my opinion it is worth it. Will stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
AlaraManager, Manager at Alara Motor Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Good Evening,

Thank you for your post on trip advisor, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your meal and that you didn't arrive too late. Thank you for such an execellent review we are pleased you enjoyed your time at the Alara Motor Inn

We look forward to see you again.

Thanks again,

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Pine Rivers
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed here on my last business trip to the area and found the staff friendly and location handy to where I had to do business. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive hotel in Mackay.
Happily stay here again, What you must remember this is a boom town due to mines so accommodation prices here will be a bit more expensive than in other towns . But supply and demand drive the price

Room Tip: As fair back in the complex as you can go as you are on a main road
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Good Evening,

Thank you for your post on trip advisor, I apologies for my reply was not sooner. Here at the Alara Motor Inn we love feed back as it is the best way to improve the service we are providing.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to see you again next time you are in Mackay.

Take care
Victoria Point, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I traveled to Mackay for work, I stopped overnight at the Alara, and was very surprised how good the motel was. As with any mining based towns, you pay extra for everything, but overall, I would return back to the Alara next time I'm in town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AlaraManager, Manager at Alara Motor Inn, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Good Morning,

Thank you for your post on trip advisor. We are always delighed when we recieve reviews and even more so when they are positive.

Manager.
GOLD COAST
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed with you on the 19th &20th oct. We normally stay in hotels because of our previous experiences of bad motels throughout Australia. We were pleasantly surprised with our stay at ALARA it started with the very pleasant helpful lady at reception who while dealing with me took 2 phone calls and rather than make me wait asked if she could call them back in a few minutes and took their details. I really appreciated the courtesy. The modern room was among the cleanest motels we have seen, the bathroom and shower definitely among the best of hotels for appointment and cleanliness, my wife particularly liked the dispensers. Over all we rate what we saw 9/10.
Plus: We would definitely stay again, the room was serviced each day with clean towels if required (in our experience a rare event). We highly recommend ALARA .

Wayne Holmes

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
AlaraManager, Manager at Alara Motor Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your lovely review. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and would stay again.

I apologies for my late reply, your review is appreciated. We hope we can look after you again in the near future.

Cairns
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I were driving from Cairns to the Sunshine Coast and back in four days; so it was a round trip. Because of that we were wanting to stay at a decent motel each night as we needed a good nights rest each night. I booked this motel for two nights (not consecutive) approximately 4-7 days in advance. We arrived after a long day of driving and had our hands full when we opened the door only to find that we had been placed in a disable room without being asked let alone told or given the room for a discounted rate. This is the second time this has happened to us (not in this motel) and we are quiet alarmed that it has become the norm that customers arent told or asked. It seems as though motel staff are doing the customers a favour rather providing a service for which they are paid. I immediately noticed that there was no vacancy but rang reception nonetheless to ensure that we werent given that room again on the trip home. Upon ringing reception I was made to feel as though I was being unreasonable and received no apology at all. As the motel was booked out, it was getting late and we had paid for the room we were stuck with it. The biggest issue with this was that the bathroom flooded so we had a wet floor and saturated bathmat after our first shower. The shower area was very small to the point that the shower curtain continued to stick to you whilst trying to shower.

Overal, we were not satisfied with this motel. In addition to receiving the disabled room without being asked we were not happy with the bed at all. It was very hard and there was also only one spare pillow for a queen room. The coffee/tea mugs and glasses were tiny and there was no toaster and/or microwave or plates and cutlery. Lastly, the fridge did not work well at all. As we were travelling the entire time we had drinks and a few bits and pieces that we wanted chilled for the next days travel. The following morning the items in the fridge were barely cool.

This motel is not value for money. I understand that the cost of motels are notoriously expensive in Mackay but in comparison for $11 a night cheap we have stayed in a lovely near new motel in Emerald. The motel is much more modern, had a full size fridge, lovely soft and thick towels, extremely comfortable bed (with two spare pillows), full size mugs and glasses, cutlery, plates/bowls/small plates, microwave, toaster, writting desk, table and chairs, two individual couches and small coffee table as well as a patio with two chairs and a table.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Bianca,

Thank you for posting a review. I would like to sincerely apologies that you were not satisfied with your stay with us.

Our Queen Executive disabled access room is the last room sold as our normal Queen rooms. I would like to thank you for your feed back as we previously have not informed guest that they are in this room as the bathroom is the only difference. I will discuss this with the staff for future guest.

I would also like to apologies regarding the pillow, mug and cutlery. We do only keep the minimum in the room so that the guest has as much space as possible, however if you do choose to stay with us again reception will provide all these services free of charge, delievered to your room. Toaster are also available free of charge, the reason they are no longer in the room is to prevent smoke alarms going off early in the morning. We now warn guest that all the alarms are linked and to be mindful when making toast.

Again I would like to apologies and I hope that your return trip left you feeling better about the Alara Motor Inn.

brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

cleanliness wasn't too bad, although there were a few hairs in the toilet seat :S but overall, it was really good. Only 5-10 mins walk to the shops and the staff were very helpful. No problems at all and my 4 yr old didn't have any trouble sleeping at all considering it's pretty close to the airport. Would most likely stay in this place again if I were to go back in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Hi Kaye,

Thank you for rating us on trip advisor.

Firstly I would like to apologies for the hairs in the toilet, we do pride ourself on the cleanliness of our rooms and this is not acceptable.

I am glad the staff were helpful and you found it easy enough to get around. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and I apologies for the late reply.

We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Mackay.

Mackay, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I needed a room in Mackay for just one night due to family commitments and was lucky enough to be successful in getting a room at the Alara. The room was Immaculate. It was modern, very well presented and extremely clean and tidy. Everything worked well and the staff were very helpful with all enquiries and requests. The food and room service was among the best I have ever been treated to.
With Mackay being so busy these days, it is very rare you can find a room in town during the week and a lot of places have become a bit lazy in their treatment of guests.
I would highly recommend the Alara to any traveller as you can be sure that you will be looked after to the best and by the best.

Room Tip: If I had the opportunity to stay there again, I would choose a room with a spa. It only costs a lit...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
AlaraManager, Manager at Alara Motor Inn, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you for your review Cheryl C, I am gald you enjoyed your stay and we looking forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Mackay.

Thanks again
Managment

Been to Alara Motor Inn? Share your experiences!