“forgettable fare” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
UK
“forgettable fare”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Nestled in a line of resturants near the ocean, and one of the better presented of the establishments (though in fairness the competition is hardly stellar), Bugzies seems to have a brisk trade.

But this might be the issue. Plenty of footfall means the quality of the product doesn't have to be spectacular.

Which is why the menu choices are mind-boggling. It seems to be a greek-ish restaurant, but there is a seafood speciality, plus lots of pasta dishes, all kinds of italian salads. Difficult to tell what sort of place it thinks it is. If it's everything to everyone, the food quality has to reflect that. Not sure it does currently.

Of course the house wine was "sold out". The replacement house wine was New Zealand. In Queensland? Is internal wine duty so bad in Australia? An ominous start.

The service was fine if somewhat perfunctory. But not a major worry.

But the big letdown was the food. Before I say why, a disclaimer - I saw other plates being brought out, especially the seafood sharing platters, which looked amazing. If I ever go back, that's what I will have. Clearly that's where the creative effort (not to mention budget) is going. Seafood platters seem well worth the visit.

But meanwhile... I chose a prawn pasta thing. With rice. The prawns were fine if a little uneventful. no seasoning. The 'sauce' which was meant to be garlic was an incomprehensible bright yellow shade and was pretty unpleasant. Plus, not many cloves had been harmed in the making of the sauce either. And then the rice, a neatly shaped mount of white rice - was soft on the top and crunchy on the bottom: a culinary surprise, but not an altogether nice one. In fact, I would imagine most other folk would just send it back. By this time I'd waited long enough, and time was dragging on.

So, a little attention to detail at the pass (assuming someone runs the pass here) wouldn't go amiss, and perhaps some of the passing trade might become returning clients. The rest of it was ok enough, but if you can't do rice, you're not going to get good reviews. Sorry guys.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Gold Coast
“Amazed at the reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I am amazed at what people write in their reviews. I felt compelled to reply. This Bugzies Restaurant is clearly a SEAFOOD restaurant. The rule of thumb, to me that is, is that if you go to a seafood restaurant, you order seafood and if you go to a Chinese restaurant, you don't order fish and chips - you know what I mean?

So people complaining about Nasi Goreng is absurd. If you want only fish and chips, better go to a takeaway - it will gives you better value, I should think!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Burleigh Heads, Australia
“Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We go here a bit and sometimes you get a great meal and others you don't. Its sort of hit and miss here. If they are full - service is slow and it also seems to be very disorgansied. I don't know if the staff are students or not very well trained but having a waiter with a broken arm - doesn't seem to be great to me.
We have had our best meals during the week and wouldn't recommend Fri or Sat nights.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gold Coast Australia
“Birthday & Wedding anniversary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Lovely night out ! Twice in one month,and spoilt with a free bottle of wine for our anniversary. Plus on our birthday we got one free main meal.

Visited October 2012
Gold Coast
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Bugzies restaurant looks OK but unfortunately one of those disappointing places. I can almost excuse our waiter, he is probably a backpacker trying to earn some travel money but, like many visitors, he pretended to understand english and preferred to guess than ask. I ordered fish and asked for the chips to be well done (golden), I got well done fish and soggy chips. When I told him he got it wrong, he argued with me and insisted that I ordered well done fish. I will remember next time to ask my waiter to repeat the order back to me, although he should have done that in any case.

There was no excuse for my wife's dish, she ordered Nasi Goreng and it was too slaty to eat. They refunded my fish but would not refund the Nasi Goreng, even when I asked them to eat some and offered to pay for it if they could say it wasn't too salty.

When we were complaining, the people at the table next to us said they agreed and got up and left in disgust.

• Visited November 2012