“Large hotel, great staff, lots of options” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Twin Towns Resort

You added Outrigger Twin Towns Resort to your Saves list
Outrigger Twin Towns Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Corner of Griffith and Wharf Streets | Tweed Heads NSW and Coolangatta, Coolangatta, Queensland 4225, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Exclusive Offer!
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Coolangatta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney Australia
“Large hotel, great staff, lots of options”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I recently traveled to this resort for a conference. The location is great, 2 minute walk to the beach. The hotel itself is connected to a club, which was very handy for the conference was held there. Lots of different bars and lots of choice for food. The breakfast was excellent and wasn't run out by 10am like most hotel breakfasts. The room we stayed in was a Harbour Tower Room with a king bed split in two as there were who of us traveling together. The room itself was tiny and so was the bathroom. I expected bigger for a hotel of this rating but it was still very modern and clean. The staff were extremely helpful. Overall a really great weekend. I would definitely stay there again but I'd book a bigger room next time.

Room Tip: On weekends there is live music downstairs, so request a high floor to get away from the noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Caretaker M, 255355 at Outrigger Twin Towns Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear Auscookie
Sydney

Thank you for taking the time to 'post' your review of the property. Thank you also for your comments about your accommodation and our facilities, it was our pleasure to be your host. We trust that your conference was a success and we look forward to having you stay with us again when next you have an opportunity to visit Coolangatta. Thank you for chossing to stay with Outrigger Twin Towns Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We had our family holiday in January 2012 at this hotel. This was our 6th consecutive year and we have always had a pleasant holiday experience.

As usual we had booked a 2 bedroom apartment in Ocean Tower for our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children). In response to a confirming letter we received a week or so before arrival - which incorrectly stated the booking was for 4 adults, we advised via email of the correction needed and received an email back saying to the effect "understood, family holiday, 2 adults, 2 kids".

When were therefore surprised to find when we entered the room, that it was configured with 2 queen beds - this had never been the case before - the second room for the kids always had consisted of 2 separate single beds.

Anyway, mistakes happen - I contacted reception and spoke to Katrina, who had dealt with us upon arrival just minutes before - advised of the room configuration mistake and requested single beds be made up for the kids.

To my dismay she was unhelpful, advising that there will be a $25 fee to be paid for the room reconfig effort. I explained about the email exchange, about the fact that we were repeat customers who had never had this problem before - to no avail. She was immovable for what seemed like many minutes, just staying on the phone silently, awaiting my backdown.

Eventually she agreed to make the change for $12.50, but reminding me that this was my problem, that 96% of the 2 bedroom apartments are configured for 2 doubles, that the $25 fee is detailed on the web site (which I can’t find) and that I must expect to pay. I was forced to agree to the $12.50 charge, as my teenage kids didn't want to sleep in the same bed - and since I had just spent nearly $2000 and was told I wasn't entitled to a refund.

Upon checkout, a far more reasonable person agreed with my position and removed the $12.50 charge from my account.
So I recommend - watch out for a surprise room reconfiguration fee.
What a disappointing way to start a holiday though - and after 6 years of enjoying the Outrigger Coolangatta – I am at present planning our Coolangatta holiday for January 2013 and not inclined to consider Outrigger again .

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We recently spent one night in the harbor tower on the ninth floor. It was a beautiful room, tastefully decorated, with new sharp appliances. Flat screens in the bedroom and lounge room, full size fridge, dishwasher and balcony.
The only thing I could say is that we were unaware of the $100 bond for the room, and when we gave our credit card we were told the money would be suspended and then reversed on check-out. They failed to tell us that the money would take 3-5 business days to appear back in the account. It is difficult to find your way around the building and the restaurants are harder to find than one would expect. A little bit more expensive than some resorts I have stayed in but overall it was a nice, fully equipped room. I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012
Caretaker M, 255355 at Outrigger Twin Towns Resort, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Gemma 1788

Thank you for your both your review and patronage, it was a shame that you could only stay the one night, but we hope that you will have another opportunity to enjoy a return stay in the future. Thank you also for your comments in relation to your accommodation and facilities. Please accept our apology for the apparent delay in your banking institution ‘clearing’ the requested security bond for your booking. Regrettably this process, although an acceptable industry standard and protocol, the ‘clearing’ process and time does vary between financial institutions. Some complete the process with 48-72 hours, but often this may take longer over weekend periods and public holidays etc’. But once again please accept our apology if this process was not clearly explained to you upon arrival, as should have been the case. Thank you again for choosing to stay at Outrigger Twin Towns Resort and allowing us to be of service to you.
Brisbane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I stayed here recently and booked online as I had purchased tickets to a show at Twin Towns.

We had requested a high floor and paid for an ocean view room as specified on the website.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were told we were on level 2. I asked about the high floor request and the receptionist said that they were fully booked. I also asked how many floors were in the building... apparently there are 15 floors, however levels 1-5 are hotel rooms and levels 6-15 are full of permanent residents! We were very shocked to learn this! It does not mention this on any website. Also the receptionist said even though we had booked a ocean view room, we were allocated an 'ocean view' room, however, with the new Reflections Tower in front the hotel, you can't really see the ocean. 'OCEAN VIEW ROOMS' ARE VERY MISLEADING, nothing like the website! I was pretty upset as it was a special occasion, so the receptionist kindly swapped our room with another arrival room on level 3, so we were able to see a view of the ocean, which was nice!

The end of the bed sagged and was quite lumpy! The balcony also linked to your neighbours and a skinny person could easily fit through the railing as it wasn't properly fenced off! And we had to SLAM the front door really hard for it to close.

I would have loved to stay here next time, but it's like a lucky dip! You would never know which view you're going to get!

Room Tip: Room 316 has a good view of the ocean
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Caretaker M, 255355 at Outrigger Twin Towns Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear Allyluscombe
Brisbane

Thank you for taking the time to ‘post’ your comments on Trip Advisor. This has also given us the opportunity to respond and clarify some details for you in relation to your recent stay. Firstly thank you for your booking and it was our pleasure to host your stay and trust that you enjoyed the show that you attended at the Twin Town Service Club. Secondly I was a little confused and concerned with the comment that you made in relation to making a ‘payment for an Ocean View Room’. This was of concern particularly as we do not apply a cost or surcharge on any of our accommodation room categories or types for a guaranteed ‘Ocean View Room’ or in fact for any specific views or aspect. As all apartments and rooms are assigned on the day of the guest’s arrival, we are therefore unable to guarantee any special requests for a guests personal preference in relation to views, floor levels etc’ these are always subject to availability. Your request for either an ocean view room or higher floor level would have been noted at the time of your booking being made ‘on-line’, but again as advised this type of personal request would not have been guaranteed. Each of our accommodation categories, room types and views etc’ across the resort are offered at the same tariff for the same room type/category irrespective of floor levels or views, there are definitely no additional charges or surcharges applied for views or floor levels. Therefore we do not believe that our web site is in any way ‘misleading’ to our guests and that the details provided are both accurate and a true representation of the property. Please accept our apology for any confusion that you feel you may have experienced from booking your accommodation ‘on-line’. But I was pleased that you gratefully accepted the offer of an alternative room location with a view aspect that was more to your personal liking and that the reception staff were indeed able to coordinate this for you at no additional expense. Thank you again for your review and patronage.
Rozelle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I recently spent 8 nights on the Gold Coast. We decided to spend 6 nights in Surfers Paradise and 2 nights in Coolangatta. Money is tight so we were looking for a good deal. I had stayed in Coolangatta previously and had seen the Outrigger Twin Towns from the exterior. It looked passable. I saw an offer of $129 a night for a one-bedroom apartment so decided to go ahead and book. I wasn't expecting much for the price but I was very pleasantly surprised. The apartment was large .. plenty of living space, almost a full size kitchen (with washing machine & dryer) and a separate bedroom & large bathroom. The balcony was huge and the view across the river (past the Twin Towns Services Club) was beautiful. Our room was on the 4th floor, so no extensive view .. but no complaints. The apartment was clean with modern decor and all the usual inclusions. We didn't need internet access so I can't comment on that (although I think it cost extra??) We also didn't use the restaurant or bar - again, no comment. Check in and check out was a breeze and all the staff were extremely friendly. The weather wasn't fabulous so we appreciated the overhead walkway into the Club for an afternoon beverage and some dinner. All in all I would highly recommend this hotel complex for a very pleasant, comfortable and relaxing stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Caretaker M, 233255 at Outrigger Twin Towns Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear Sydneysan
Rozelle – Australia

It was indeed a pleasure to receive your review and your comments in relation to your accommodation and it being ‘value for money’. We were also pleased that you enjoyed the view from your apartment, the service provided by the reception staff upon your arrival and departure in addition to the facilities at the adjoining Twin Town Services Club. From your comments it appears that although the weather conditions at the time of your stay were not ideal; these did not dampen your enjoyment or your stay with us here at Outrigger Twin Towns Resort. Thank you for your comments and we certainly hope that you may have an opportunity to return again soon. Best regards from Outrigger Twin Towns Resort Management & Staff.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

An excellent resort with all the facilities that are needed without even leaving the resort. Friendly staff who act professionally. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and our view was quite good and very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Caretaker M, 255355 at Outrigger Twin Towns Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear Michael H
Auckland NZ

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us here at Outrigger Twin Towns Resort. We are pleased that you enjoyed the experience and we look forward to your return visit, when next you have an opportunity to visit Coolangatta, Southern Gold Coast and the Tweed Region.
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

The room and services was satisfactory, I didn't arrive until late in the evening, however on arrival the directions to my room was not clear. I was in red block and was told to get the lift to the 14 floor which I did and ended up in the middle of the entertainment section with no direction as to where my room was. I eventually found my room and was settling down to sleep when each time the air conditioning unit kicked in or out it was followed by an alarm which kept me awake all night. I reported this to the gentleman on reception during check out and he seemed to be quite dismissive of it. So my experience was not the best one I have ever had.

Room Tip: Check the rooms on line before booking
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Paulette S
Brisbane AUST

On behalf of the entire team here at Outrigger Twin Towns Resort, please accept our sincerest apology for evidently not providing you with clearer instructions in relation to your apartment location. It can sometimes be a little confusing for guests, particularly as we have the two towers of accommodation and over 400 apartments at the resort. Plus added to this the Twin Towns Service Club entertainment facility as you discovered. Thank you also for advising the reception staff of the reported issue with the air conditioning system this report was greatly appreciated; as was your patronage. We trust that we may be given a future opportunity to provide you with your chosen accommodation and that the experience may meet your expectations. Thank you for your comments and review, Outrigger Twin Towns Resort.

Been to Outrigger Twin Towns Resort? Share your experiences!