“Expectations surpassed” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Coolangatta
Melbourne, Australia
“Expectations surpassed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

We travelled to the Beach House in early September 2012, we being 2 parents, and a 6, 3 and 1 year old. We had modest expectations because this trip was a cheap week away from Melbourne. We had booked on price and convenience to the airport, beach and at least a little dining. But our expectations were completely surpassed...

It started at check in when we remembered we needed a cot for the 1 year old. No problem, no attitude. Then we saw the flyer for the kids club. Perhaps a slight over-promise but the 6 and 3 year old loved it and went 3 days running, coming back with painted plaster moulds, masks and even some cake they'd baked. 2 hours of peace for us and fun for them. Price? $0. The BBQs clean and well maintained. The pool was lovely and warm and the kids pool safe and fun for them. Hire of boogie boards for the beach was also free. Every time we had a question it was met with pleasant and positive response.

I am trying to think of a downside and I can't really. The decor is pretty dated, as it the building itself, but for a family holiday where the weather and the beach are the main attractions, does it really matter? We will absolutely book and stay here again.

I have seen a few complaints on TA about the rooms and getting sun. The tip from me, at least for August/September if you want some sun the southern rooms - 08, 07, 06 and 05 of each floor provide beautiful morning sun until about 10am, rooms 01- 04 get more later in the day. But really if it's sun you want the beach is across the street, the pool area is on level 1. Seriously, get out there and enjoy it rather than moaning about what your balcony did or didn't get!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
alberta, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I spent the second week of my vacation at the Beach House Seaside resort after spending the first week at Surfers. I love the hustle & bustle of Surfers BEFORE schoolies converge on the area but having this second week at the Beach House was perfect. I love going to Australia from Canada for vacation...the flight is long but so worth it to be on the Gold Coast.

The Beach House was perfectly situated for easy access from/to the Coolangatta Airport. And the Beach House has a complimentary airport shuttle...so take advantage of it. Of course, if you have a car, there is an underground parking garage. However, I can not tell you anything further on that as I don't drive down under (y'all drive on the wrong side of the car and the wrong side of road) WINK, WINK!

The check in/out process was pretty seamless. I arrived early that day because I had to check out of my Surfers timeshare and took the bus from Surfers. The bustop is right outside the resort...couldn't ask for a better location...no lugging of the luggage far. Because I couldn't check in just yet, I was able to leave my luggage and get familiar with the area. The Beach House is right across the street from the ocean and the beach was fantastic. There is a surf club too where one can eat but since I didn't eat there...I can only go on previous posts regarding the surf club.

Once I got into my room on a high floor (I can't remember the unit number but it was a corner unit looking south-I think; it DIDN'T look towards Surfers). The unit was a two bedroom with two full bathrooms (I believe they are all 2BD/2Bath) but my unit had two balconies which was nice. There is a balcony off the master bedroom that has a television in the room and it's own bathroom. The second bedroom had two single beds with the other bathroom across the hall that included the washer/dryer. The main bathroom had a bathtub so if you have little kids, this is a must for bathing them. I can't remember if the master ensuite had a bathtub or a shower only. The kitchen was really nice with a great fridge, a real oven and a dishwasher which is great for larger families. However, being a solo traveller, I washed all my dishes by hand. The second balcony faced south towards New South Wales. At around 6pm the birds went nuts but it only lasted about an hour then peace and quiet again. The main balcony overlooks the pool and hot tub. Even though I was kind of disappointed that I wasn't looking towards Surfers, this particular unit was actually pretty good because I had the best of ALL views. I had a balcony to sit on that overlooked the mountains/hills. The main balcony overlooked the southend which was a pretty good. The living room has a fair size flat panel television too with great movies.

The area is quite resourceful with an abundance of various restaurants. There are about 3 right at the base of the Beach House including an ice cream shop that sold wonderful ice cream and had pretty cheap sodas (for Australia anyways). I usually sat down there while I had my ice cream or soda and read one of the many magazines they have there to pass some time as well as people watch. There are the usual fast food places within a block or two (KFC and McD's). There is a shopping plaza right next door to get sundries and groceries as well as internet kiosks to connect with friends/family if you don't bring those devices with you on holiday. (I don't...won't pay the roaming charges and besides, I'm on vacation!) There is a 7-11 right across the street to get that much desired slurpee (frozen coke) or any last minute snack. There are some very cute shops along that main street too. A pretty decent second hand book store as well as a 'dollar store' to get any other sundries at a cheaper price that might arise. There are plenty of massage therapists in the neighbourhood so if the women want to be pampered, it is easily accessible. And the prices were reasonable too.

I took a short stroll the main street and had one foot in New South Wales and one foot in Queensland. Also beware that two time zones are usually recognized here in Coolangatta. The casino was pleasant but I wasn't very lucky. :( Gotta say, nothing beats Vegas casinos! I also took a stroll up towards Surfers and when I got around the bend, there was a kite festival going on further up the beach. It was a pleasant stroll and I had fun watching all the kites flying and the children laughing. That was a weekend day so I think that festival was a planned one.

All in all, I truly loved staying at the Beach House and I look forward to a return visit soon. I was trying to get another stay there this November but could not get the resort lined up for when I wanted to visit. Hopefully in 2013. I believe most people will enjoy the Beach House and remember that they are there to help us enjoy our vacation. The main desk area has plenty of brochures for everyone in the family to find something to do. And finally, as with any humid locale, it is always safe to try to put all food stuffs in the fridge as to not have any unwelcome visitors. I did NOT have any unwelcome visitors in my unit (of all species!) Remember to enjoy your vacation and don't sweat the small stuff.

Room Tip: Although all rooms have an ocean view, I found having the corner unit with the two balconies opened...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

I have been coming here for about 15 years. My family own time share and I loved coming here as a kid. This place is great for families. Lifts are slow but other than that its fine. The views are amazing the best apartment would have to be 1706 so request if you wish (however this is too high for children) you don't need a car at all because everything is in walking distance.

• Stayed September 2011
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was mostly good but a few points let it down in a big way...
It was VERY noisy, particularly at night, causing restless sleep. It sounded like the traffic was on our balcony and when the guests above or next to us moved we could hear it. I think double glazing the windows would help a lot. In saying that, we had a room on the north side of the building with roads on 2 sides. The rooms in the middle or on the south may be quieter.
The spa was tiny & very aged & the pools weren't heated or at least not to a temperature we could use them.
When we arrived I found 2 dead cockroaches on the carpet & there were food crumbs on the carpet in the living room. Also, it appears a few corners were cut when they renovated the rooms.
In saying that, the staff were very pleasant & helpful, the remainder of the room was very clean & crisp & the renovations are good for the most part with nice furniture, bathroom & kitchen. Also, beds were really comfortable if you like a firm but not hard mattress.
The location is pretty good, right across from the beach & with everything we needed near-by.
The room was good value for money & good for the price but there was definitely room for improvement.

• Stayed July 2012
Victoria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

Unfortunately can not recommend this hotel as our room received only got sunshine between 7:30 and 9am and in the shade for this rest of the day

• Stayed June 2012
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

A recently upgraded room with everything needed for a comfortable stay in a fully equiped holiday apartment. Modern appliances and a comfortable bed made for a relaxed holiday where we had the option of self catering or eating out in one of the many local eateries. The beach is great for walking and we enjoyed the free bikes to ride along the pathways.

Room Tip: Although we had a ground floor apartment and therefore no sea view we enjoyed the deck and grass are...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Grafton, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Made a last minute weekend booking for a two bedroom apartment (for two adults and two teenagers) and was delighted with the result. First time staying at Coolangatta. Renovations very well done. Excellent location, close to beach, walking/cycling path, restaurants, Aldi, five minutes to Coolangatta airport. Definitely stay here again. Reservations staff great.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Beach House Seaside Resort? Share your experiences!