“Ok place - but great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quest Wollongong

You added Quest Wollongong to your Saves list
Quest Wollongong
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   59 - 61 Kembla St, Wollongong, New South Wales 2500, Australia   |
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Wollongong
NSW Australia
“Ok place - but great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

We recently spent 3 nights at the Quest in a 1 bedroom apartment. The apartment had a sofa bed for the kids, a full kitchen and laundry facilities.

The good: Really great location, right in the heart of the city - about a 5 minute walk to the shopping mall and a huge choice of restaurants all within a 3 to 10 minute walk. The staff member who checked us in was very nice and very helpful (we didn't really have any contact with any other staff members). Free parking. It was clean. Bed was comfortable.

The not great: While the apartments were serviced, they did not service on Sundays. They also did not replenish the shampoo, soap, etc during our 3 night stay. There was only 1 bar of soap (instead of the usual 2), which meant having to constantly transfer it from the basin to the shower. I realize that none of these things are a big deal - but just not quite up to scratch for a 4 1/2 star rated property. I probably could have gone down to the front desk to get shampoo and soap, but expect that these things should just be taken care of automatically. Some of the furniture was showing a bit of wear, the decor was kind of sparse and didn't have any character.

They knew that our reservation included children and that we needed to use the sofabed. Yet it hadn't been made up. When I discovered this and rang the front desk, they were going to send up a rollaway as there was noone there from housekeeping to make up the bed. I asked them to just provide me with the sheets and we made it ourselves. No big deal and I certainly didn't mind making a bed - but something that really should have just been taken care of without us having to chase it up.

Other: To be fair, I don't think serviced apartments are really my thing. I like the service and ammenities of an actual hotel (a nice lobby, room service, restaurant, pool, etc.). I know that a lot of people love having the kitchen and laundry in the apartment - but I really don't want to cook or do laundry when we are on a getaway. I can see how they would be useful and cost saving if you were staying somewhere for a longer length of time.

The Quest really was perfectly adequate - just nothing special. We probably would stay here again, because the location was so good. To be fair, my husband was more impressed with this place than I was.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
midnorthcoast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

We had a one bedroom apartment at the rear of the building. The apartment was very quiet even on Friday and Saturday night (with the window open). In Wollongong central you really need to be at the rear of the building as it is very noisy at night, sirens wailing etc. . We could walk to restaurants and it was one block to the main shopping centre, the location is very convenient. The bed was comfortable, the combined bathroom, laundry was a reasonable size and the towels were large and soft. The only negatives I could find for this apartment were :
1. shower was over the bath (not a problem if you are in reasonable health)
2 .no free wifi

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Coffs Harbour, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

On check in we discovered we were upgraded to 8 floor which gave us great view of the 5 islands. We would stay here again as were able to walk to shops ,restaurants etc. The kitchen, bathrooms and laundry facilities are great.
However, some of the furnishings are becoming a little tired and the bed in the main bedroom is 2 singles pushed together which is less than comfortable. Also bedroom door needs to be left open to feel aircon at night. The garbage truck which comes early each morning disturbing your sleep is annoying especially since we were on holidays.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

The one bedroom we stayed in faced the street and there was a lot of chatter in the street late at night. Ask for a room at the rear. Nevertheless, I would stay here again. I walked almost everywhere and when I didn't, the bus was very convenient and free.
No free wifi, no fitness center, but a huge bathroom with a washer/dryer, and a nice kitchen. At this point in our trip, we were tired of eating out and the grocery store and takeout restaurants are within blocks.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

This was our second stay in a 2 bed apartment becuase the property excels with service and is an easy walk to Wollongong Entertainment Centre.

This time we had an 8th floor room with views to the beach and escarpment and heard no one else while we were there. Our room was q q and as there was only the 3 of us ideal (originally it may have been 2 adult couples but my parents went to the Chifley).

Cehck in was quick and efficient and with the zooom parked securely (inc) undercover Guru rested while I did the rush into the city (oh 2 mins) and bought a few essentials for GDs event.

Dinner at Ha Long Bay - Top Notch Vietnamese open at 5pm (esp improtant when you need to be somewhere at 6.30) just don't order too much.

Event over and done withback we traversed through the drunken teenagers and collapsed into bed. be aware reception is closed later in the evening ut in all honesty these are apartments and with a breakfast pack and water in the room and nearby bars open late do you really need someone to smile and say hi when you return at 11pm!

Breakfast...took the lazy opton..was going to cook in room but the menu at lee and me looked adventurous and it was only a short walk down the street. Be aware it is difficult to find as it appears to be a clothing outlet with a few stools on the street. Eggs Benny top level, lovely T2 selection and pancakes or "the roll" worthy of a 5* breakfast. 3 pax less than 20ph!

Negatives.....no pool......oh well never mind.....because it all depends on what you want and usually in the Gong i want what Quest has

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

We stayed here during the New Years celebrations. The rooms were very spacious and nicely decorated. It had everything you would want. The location was central and close to the mall and restaurants. What stood out though was the friendly service we received. The reception greeted us warmly and was very helpful in directing us to places to eat and what to do. Great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

Having booked with lastminute for a room with a spa the 3 star (you must be kidding!!) City Beach Motel was $175 for the night. When I got there I turned around and walked straight out. The motel was a dated, filthy DUMP. I found Medina (155) and then Quest($145). No spa but a one bedroom serviced apartment did me fine. Motel wouldn't refund neither would last minute. QUEST gets my vote, even tho its not close to the beach.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Quest Wollongong? Share your experiences!