“Peace and Tranquility” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 12 Attractions in Wollongong
Type: Religious Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Nan Tien is very different from most tourist attractions because there is so much to offer: the visual delights of grandeur architecture, art & culture including unique exhibitions & festivals, Buddhist festivals, vegetarian culinary delights, educational & healthy life style classes & retreats, accommodation, top class conference and auditorium facilities as well as beautiful gardens & walks. There is also the spiritual and religious experience that is unforgettable and even life changing for some.
18 attraction reviews
“Peace and Tranquility”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My husband and I spent several hours in this beautiful environment and we so enjoyed soaking in the peace and tranquillity. It is only a trip of max 1.5 hours from Sydney and can be done easily on a day, but we decided to stay the night in Wollongong. There is no entry fee and one can walk around freely around the grounds, inside and out. We enjoyed a lovely vegetarian lunch in the hall for only $12. The Temple is open from Tuesdays until Sunday from 9 - 5pm. They do tours for only a few dollars at 1pm, but make sure you book in when you get there. However, you can also do the sights by yourself in your own time. Make sure you go for a walk in the lovely grounds behind on the hill, it is superb and there is a lovely view. You can ring the big Gratitude bell and send Blessings to your parents while doing it. The Pagoda is also very recommended. The museum is small, but part of the experience and they only ask for a small donation. The bookshop has some fabulous books about Buddhism, Meditation and Mindfulness, and I definitely recommend to look through if you are interested. At 16.30 a nun plays the big drum and afterwards the gongs, which is hauntingly beautiful. I have also done two silent weekend retreats in the Temple a couple of years ago, which I really recommend if you want to get away from every days hustle and bustle and stress. Don't forget to take your camera as there are some great photo opportunities, but you are not allowed to take photos inside the temple.

Visited June 2014

• Thai first
6 attraction reviews
“Peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Just so nice to walk around and smell the incense. You can't take a picnic but you can buy food there and they accept card payment. They have a few restaurants and it's lovely vegetarian food. I would recommend a visit.

Visited April 2014
Callala Beach
4 attraction reviews
“Industrial Tofu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We arrived here after deciding on a wet weather activity. A good little immersion in Vietnamese Buddhist culture for the kids. A tidy restaurant/tea room with a minimalist selection of yummy vegetarian food along with a long selection of fragrant teas. Well worth the small diversion off the freeway. We filled in 3 hours and left "contented" (so to speak

Sydney, Australia
“My 45th Visit and still noted is lack of Parent facilities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I discovered the Nan Tien temple in 1998 when a friend relocated to Woolongong from Sydney. From then on I visited the complex frequently with my many friends from abroad. To date I have brought more than 60 people down to visit this wonderful show piece of the Buddist perceptions. I love coming back to the Temple because each time I come there is some additional features. The garden Buddahs, the track going from Pilgrim Lodge up the hill, the bell and platform etc. One thing I've noted that has not been added to the well established Temple is any Parent/Baby facilities.
I just thought that in time this would ocurr but I now think it has been overlooked. Unfortunately on Sunday 8th June 2014 I was horrified to walk into the female toilets next to the dining room and observed a young 18mth old child lying on the floor in the toilet cubicle with her head sticiking out under the door. The mother apologised saying there was nowhere else. I then made my way up towards the Pagola Tower and wanted to wash my hands, I went into the disabled toilets and was surprised to discover a woman in there sitting on the toilet breast feeding her baby. I think this is appalling and needs addressing this is extemely un Australian and extremely unacceptable. Please let me know if you are able to address this unfortunate lack of facilities for Parents with young children. If not I will follow this up further. Thank you. FYI my email is: mjngeddes@yahoo.com

Visited June 2014
Wollongong, Australia
7 attraction reviews
“A beautiful place to relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We always take our visitors to see this beautiful Temple. It is a calm oasis on the outskirts of a busy city. The gardens are beautiful and the lake makes for some spectacular photographs. If you walk to the top of the hill you get an outstanding view in all directions. Visit the Buddha or stroll around the grounds. Lunch in the downstairs restaurant is delicious. I took my mother in a wheel chair and was able to visit most areas, it was a bit heavy going in parts but the enjoyment my mother got made the effort worthwhile.

Visited December 2013