“Wished I'd stayed at the Harp Hotel in town” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Flinders Motel

Flinders Motel
You added Flinders Motel to your Saves list
Flinders Motel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   19 Flinders St, Wollongong, New South Wales 2500, Australia   |
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Wollongong
Wollongong, Australia
“Wished I'd stayed at the Harp Hotel in town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

When you book a "single" do you expect to get a working man's quarters?? . I didn't and neither did my husband. I stayed at the Flinders as my husband was away and I needed to be out of our home in North Wollongong for a night while tiling was completed. I was very upset with the starkness and coldness of the room, much worse than my son's Campus Uni accommodation across the road at University House, North Wollongong??!! $80 was too much for this depressing single steel bed. :-(

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2711Keith, Manager at Flinders Motel, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
I hold very little credence in remarks made by guests when for some unknown reason they are not prepared to approach management during their stay to make mention of there concerns. The room allocated to you was the same room (Room 15) that was praised in this blog on 23rd January 2012.
"This only proves that one size does not fit all, and that the perception of one guest is different to another".
In regard to the student accommodation your son is enjoying during his stay in Wollongong this I understand is a new complex built with tax payers money, and of course would be of the highest standard, and with no expense spared.
Photos of our property can be viewed on our web page. These photo's clearly indicate the size of room (You booked a single room) as well as the style of bed in the room. Our rates are competative with other properties of "similar star rating" within the area. Our guests include Doctors, engineers, military , government employees, as well as students and, as you mention we even allow "working class".
Most guests stay at this property because it is a more affordable property to stay in. Our rates have not risen dramatically over the past 4 years, despite the upgrades that have occured, and continue to occur around the property.
Your rights to stay at an alternative property in Wollongong is your prerogative and would save you any embarasment should you return to this property.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I found this place clean, comfortable and in a great location - Everywhere in Wollongong is just minutes away.
I stayed in a single air-conditioned room. Everything in the room (carpet, microwave, desk, air con etc) looked newish. The bathroom was basic but clean. The staff where helpful and acknowledged my request of having a quiet room and I must say to be in the company the gentlemens dry British humour was rather refreshing!
There is a 24/7 gym that is 2 minutes walk from the place.

Room Tip: If your a single traveller, ask for room 15
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

First impression was of location - this motel is in the middle of half a dozen caryards, beside a very busy road. The motel is not coach friendly as we saw a group having to load and unload down the driveway, beside the road. As we entered the room and had a look around we saw a sticky stain from a cup left on a table. The bathroom basin had a surface of brown film, like scum. We were advised upon booking that bringing a toaster would not be suitable, as smoke detectors would go off. We took this into account and planned cereal for breakfast and while we did find bowls in our room, we could not find spoons. We were also informed that when taking a shower we had to open the louvre strip windows so as to prevent smoke alarms going off. The first few showers we were lucky - we had hot/warm water, but in the last 24 hours of our stay there was NO hot water. We couldn't wait to get home to a HOT shower. Our rooms were far from soundproof - we could hear movement in bathrooms and from the level below and beside. If we had not had early starts each day, I think we would have had a sleepless night. The final straw, I took my own towel as a spare and was using as a hand towel. It must be noted that my towel looked NOTHING like the standard towels provided by staff, and yet we returned the first day to find it gone. Time prevented a visit to reception, however I left a pleasant note requesting at LEAST a replacement but received no response whatsoever. I WILL NOT RETURN.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2711Keith, Manager at Flinders Motel, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
We are unable to validate most of your complaints about this property. It is dissappointing that you did not contact the reception or talk to your group co-ordinator regarding your concerns while you were on site as we feel that we could have overcome most of them, with the exception of the hot water service that lost power due to an off site electrical sub-station blowing a fuse. It would have been impossible to relocate your party of 100 persons to an alternative hotel in town because of the sporting activities that took place in town over the weekend.
In regard to location, this property was built in the late 1950s and as such we are unable to relocate it to an area of your choice.
Our fire alarm system is governed by state laws and is there for the protection of all guests. The hotel is charged $500.00 for false call outs. This charge we pass on to guests, when they fail to follow our terms and conditions. If we allowed toasters in rooms we would need to relocate the local fire service to our premises.
Like many decisions in life we will accept your decision Never to Return to This Motel.
Narooma, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

The Flinders Motel is a budget motel, nothing more, nothing less. It's greatest plus is the Jasmine Rice II (Thai) restaurant out front, where 2 of us had a fabulous 3 course meal including wine for $70. The bed was comfortable, the room was basic and clean, the shower was hot, and the motel was an easy walk to the centre of town (and, if you want it, to restaurants and local clubs). Negatives - It's on a main road and near the railway line, so it's noisy, and (incredibly) the air conditioner was labelled 'cooing only' and in mid winter no control to the air conditioner was provided or was missing - so either the room became stuffy or you open the windows and put up with the noise. And I'll have to talk to my mate Kamahl, next time I see him, about truth in advertising. This is a Golden Chain motel, but they didn't provide 'one of those little things', the fresh milk!! (UHT milk was provided.) (To explain to overseas readers, Kamahl is a well-known Australian entertainer and he has been promoting Golden Chain motels on TV recently).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

We stayed one night at this motel recently and were pleasantly surprised. At a very affordable rate we got a very simple, but clean room with Air Conditioning, Fridge, and TV. WiFi is available for a fee and there is a good Thai restaurant on site, which I believe also does breakfast and lunch.

If you want to leave your car at home, you can walk to North Beach in about 10 minutes. North Wollongong Station is less than 10 minutes away. The city would probably be only 20 minutes max.

Overall, we had a good nights sleep, and felt we had a very good value room. Definitely not fancy but we would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Flinders Motel? Share your experiences!